Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stain removal guide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Aug 6, 2004.

1. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Senior member

Since this method calls for hot water, then hot water, and then hot water, any issues with shrinkage? Fading? Bleaching/lost color?

I am primarily concerned with my Jantzens which have a rep for shrinkage (I only wash them in cold water).

2. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Senior member

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I've never had a shirt shrink significantly because of washing in hot water.

Easy with the toothbrushes also, they can ruin a fabric quickly.

4. nexus

nexus Well-Known Member

Since this method calls for hot water, then hot water, and then hot water, any issues with shrinkage? Fading? Bleaching/lost color?

I am primarily concerned with my Jantzens which have a rep for shrinkage (I only wash them in cold water).

I would be very surprised to see any real difference in the size or colour of a garment after a single hot water bath, so long as you are diligent about hanging it to dry.

5. Valproate

Valproate Senior member

I have a striped BB shirt that I washed with a fluorescent yellow post-it note in it. Now the shirt is fluorescent. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I've never had a shirt shrink significantly because of washing in hot water.

Easy with the toothbrushes also, they can ruin a fabric quickly.

Has this worked for you SG? What about oxy-clean spray instead?

7. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

FWIW, the principle method in this thread absolutely blew me away over the course of the weekend. I rescued about 6-7 white shirts that were soon to be garbaged; then after I saw the results, I transitioned to the seemingly risky "colors" with great success.

The whole process amazed me so much I happily told a few friends about it today when they asked how I spent my weekend.

...perhaps the best thing SF has given me thus far.

8. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

I haven't posted in a long, long time but I stumbled across this thread and used it on three shirts that I had hanging in the closet. I was planning on throwing them away because of severe pit stains but this method saved my shirts. Really amazing stuff!!

9. M0N0GRAM

M0N0GRAM Member

I wish I would have found this the day I ruined one of my Armani shirts.
    [​IMG]

10. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Nuke, were you able to get your stain out w/out shrinkage?

I would be very surprised to see any real difference in the size or colour of a garment after a single hot water bath, so long as you are diligent about hanging it to dry.

Ah. I always thought hot water was the reason why shirts shrank but you're saying it's heat from the dryer?

FWIW, the principle method in this thread absolutely blew me away over the course of the weekend. I rescued about 6-7 white shirts that were soon to be garbaged; then after I saw the results, I transitioned to the seemingly risky "colors" with great success.

The whole process amazed me so much I happily told a few friends about it today when they asked how I spent my weekend.

...perhaps the best thing SF has given me thus far.

I'm excited to see other people have had success.

I've a Canali dress shirt with a nasty stain near the 4th button on the front. It wont go away. The material is 70% cotton and 30% seta/silk (se).

Does anyone know if this recipe would ruin my shirt b/c it's not 100% cotton and a hybrid w/ silk??

I'll wait for your replies before trying this.

Cheers

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Nuke, were you able to get your stain out w/out shrinkage?

Ah. I always thought hot water was the reason why shirts shrank but you're saying it's heat from the dryer?

I'm excited to see other people have had success.

I've a Canali dress shirt with a nasty stain near the 4th button on the front. It wont go away. The material is 70% cotton and 30% seta/silk (se).

Does anyone know if this recipe would ruin my shirt b/c it's not 100% cotton and a hybrid w/ silk??

I'll wait for your replies before trying this.

Cheers

If it's machine washable, you're probably safe.

12. wahnamhong

wahnamhong Member

Curious to try this method for my dress shirts.

However, last week someone spilled candle wax on the sleeve of my beautiful Acne dry clean only vest. Any ideas on how to remove the stain? Have heard about ironing, or thought maybe call the dry cleaners. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'd probably just flake it off once it dried.

14. wahnamhong

wahnamhong Member

I tried that already, flaking it off. But it won't come off, unfortunately. Will bring them to the dry cleaners tomorrow, see what they think.

15. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Candle wax, iron it out. Put a doubled-up paper towel on each side of the shirt, iron. Change position of the towel, repeat . . . until wax is gone.

Poinz