• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stacking w/ lace ups or dress shoes

bsyde82

Reaction score
I have a denim dilemma...

I have several pairs that I like to wear w/ sneakers, but I think they'd also look good w/ laceups. my problem is, w/ the sneakers, a lil stackage is fine...even good (although i'm not a huge fan of stacking)

how much stacking, if any, is appropriate w/ lace ups? or what's a good length that would work well with both types of shoes? i'm thinkin anything beyond a nice break w/ lace-ups would look sloppy but i have yet to try it out really.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think stacking and dress shoes go hand in hand. Take for example the SelfEdge guy wearing Imperial Shearers (36" inseam)
shearerindigooa7.jpg

brohymn

Reaction score
It's really not so much the length as it is the cut of the jean. Skinny jeans with stacking and lace ups is great.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like this look though others on here may love it. I like to have a full break or so (~1-1.5 more than my trouser inseam) but nothing like that pic or braidkid suggest. This is especially so for laceups. Go with ultimately you like and are comfortable in wearing... No reason to embrace stacking if you don't like it.

SlamMan

Reaction score
The stacking in that pick is a bit much for me if you're pairing it with dress shoes. I think it comes down to your age and the look you're going for though.

JO3B

Reaction score
yeah no, that doesn't look good.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
that pic is sidney... he emanates style.

you could see him in a toga cloth and it would probably look next level.

anyways, i think stacking is good on all fronts and thats my .02$

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wear my RRL slim fits which have a good bit of stacking with some black RLPL balmoral lace ups and I love the look. It's perfect to wear to the office with a tucked OCBD on casual Friday and has gotten me a few compliments. Since it's ultimately a casual look I pair the jeans and lace ups with a western belt and my chain wallet.

bigwhale

Reaction score
If you look at all the Dior Homme runway shows, they wear dress shoes and boots with mad stacks. Looks great with that silhouette.

givemefive

Reaction score
I think that picture is great, but its a little unnatural.

The stacks are pulled so low there is no knee bulge, honeycomb or whisker creases which just wouldn't happen during real wear

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look, it requires skinny jeans or pants, also note that hem size plays a major role here. Hem must be no greater than 7 inches to replicate this look.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ agree

anything of 7-7.5 would look stupid.

8bpc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I think stacking and dress shoes go hand in hand.

Take for example the SelfEdge guy wearing Imperial Shearers (36" inseam)

Any idea what shoes he is wearing in that photo?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are from Filippa K several seasons ago iirc. Filippa K changes them up a little every season but you shouldn't have trouble finding a shoe to pull this look off. Look at Paul Smith Starrs for an easier to find alternative to the Filippa K.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads