St. Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Is anyone planning on going to an Irish pub to celebrate St. Patrick's Day tomorrow?  The gf is interesting in going, although neither of us is Irish.  I'm not sure I'm keen on paying a $10 cover and waiting an hour in line for the opportunity to drink some green beer and listen to some Celtic music.  Give me a plate of buffalo wings and a TV tuned to the tournament instead . . .

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Ugh. St. Patty's is second only to New Year's on the list of days not to go out. I wanted to cook up some corned beef and colcannon at home, but I don't think I'll have the patience.

I might hit up the Ram's Head brew pub... Irish-themed bars are the worst. Unless you love plastic shamrock necklaces and miller lite. Keep the sf updated on the American Jackass headcount, AC.

I heard Scythian is playing around DC somewhere, they're a solid Celtic-ish ban.

FWIW, I'm 99% Irish...

3. Mike

Mike Senior member

Not sure if I am or not. I'm in college in THE college town, so I'm not sure if I want to deal with all the bullshit. Drunken frat assholes are hard enough to deal with at 1 am on a friday night. I don't know if I can deal with it at 9 am on a thursday. It is my last year in school though, so I may go just to hang out with my close friends.

4. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

I plan on sitting at home and enjoying a few Smithwicks in honor of the day.

5. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Not only is the concept of "Irish Pubs" the worst type of affectation, and cultural theft, it is not founded in any reality, however far removed as there are no such things as Irish Pubs, the Irish have bars.

Please lets not have this thread develope into a roll call of all those who think they are "Irish" on the forum, as I am fairly sure I am actually the only one.

6. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Yes, I agree. Nonk's attitude definitely suggests he's "Irish." [​IMG]

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Nonk-

Didn't mean to offend. I'm of 99% Irish heritage, but solidly American and several generations removed from Ireland.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

isn't there some folklore to the effect that having Irish ancestry grants one the privilege of calling oneself 'Irish'? I don't know if I'm imagining that, someone tell me.

not that i'm saying it's the same thing as actually being born in Ireland, just that i think there's a point of pride in having Irish blood.

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

in answer to my own question (thank you google), apparently the Irish constitution presents as one of the ways of attaining Irish citizenship the following:
    (from an article at this website.)

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I took a few team members, and the shipping and service departments out to lunch in an Irish pub, just now. We work in a village that has a huge irish presense (to the extent that a lot of people who were born and raised here have a wierd half way accent). corn beef and guiness for lunch in the middle of the week is a nice change.

11. globetrotter

nonk,

a while back one of our estemed members had this to say:

"Being of Irish descent, from Irish Nobility and True Celtic blood (Doherty Clan and fiercely proud), I find your analogy to be completely ridiculous and totally out-of-line with actual reality. My grandfather could tell you stories about your lousy British charitable ideals. His own grandfather lost an estate that had belonged to his family for over 500 years for allowing local Irish farmers to grow crops there and raise livestock (for FREE), in response to a famine that was killing millions. British (Victorian Age) authorities arrived, told him this was illegal and that all produce and livestock was taxable by the Crown and that he had violated some law, and conviscated his estate (and then STOLE the food from these starving people, taking it to England and claiming it as "tax"). Those slimy English fuckers were anything but charitable. And if I had a rifle and could stand on that land on that day, I would spill the blood of English DOGS and spit on their f*cking Victorian charity. My grandfather spent well over 2m GBP (shortly after WWII) trying to reclaim that estate, to no avail. So much for your Victorian British charity.

And personally, I whole-heartedly support and endorse the pro-Celtic struggle against all subjects of the British Crown and the Protestant Church. I have donated a large amount of money to the pro-Celtic struggle, and when I was younger, I wanted very much to join their fight. My father and grandfather both have also donated vast sums of money to this struggle, and consider it a matter of pride and honor. Celtic blood is proud blood, true blood, the blood of noble warriors and proud scholars, who maintained language, civility, education, arts and REAL charity while the barbarian dogs of England killed each other over money, land and titles. When their greedy and corrupted governments became too greedy, they decided to murder millions of innocent Irishmen, destroying their culture and forcing them into churches which tried to shame them for their language, their customs, and their blood. So yes, I support pro-Celtic (and pro-Irish) movements. And I do not consider Protestants Irish. Nor does any true Irishman."

at the time, I was wondering what your feelings on the matter would be (although I thought that I had a pretty good idea) but it seemed to be a thread that you were not intersted in. Now that the matter of Irishness has been brought up, I thought I would ask your opinion.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I'd say a huge chunk of African Americans were not actually born in Africa but have the right to be proud of their heritage - the same should apply across the board. Some of the better mainstream bars in San Diego are Irish-themed.

Nonk, are you saying that an Irish bar is different from a pub, or that the Irish do not call them pubs? I seem to recall Frank McCourt calling it a pub repeatedly in Angela's Ashes...

I'm just using St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to drink a ton of Harp.

13. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

I managed to completely miss that one.

Clearly I have different views on exactly what constitutes an Irishman, from both this particular contributor and the forum in general, (hence my appeal for no predictable annual proclamation of Irishness in some attempt to feel more included in the days festivities).

I think his rant should be considered in the light of his opening few words-

"Being of Irish descent"

Or put another way "I am not Irish"

This does not deter him from proclaiming (that due to his religious intolerance) that I am not an Irishman.

His attitudes are representative of the very worst of those that profess themselves to be Irish, with his wallowing in self pity and national victimhood and his bar room drunk anti British rhetoric.

It takes more than a green wig on Paddies day and throwing a few pennies into some terrorist collection box from the safety of thousands of miles away to make you an Irishman. Try living here through decades of terrorism, hold down a job, raise a family and keep a modicum of dignity and remain law abiding while all around chaos reigns. These are the Irishmen who I respect, not band wagon jumping clichÃ[​IMG]s like this fool and his ilk who seem to view terrorism and petty criminality as some sort of endearing national trait.

I have been admonished on this forum before for making comparisons with certain topical issues and Hitler's Third Reich, but given that we have a poster here who has decided that the citizenship of "his" country should be denied those of a certain religion, can we again see how easily these comparisons are made?

For the record as an athiest I do not celebrate Saint Patrick's day, or any other religious festival.

14. globetrotter

well, Nonk, should we happen into the same bar on a religious festival or any other day, I would be happy to raise a few glasses with you.

cheers, and keep safe.

15. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Thanks, I do not discourage others from taking part, and am always willing to share a drink with an Israeli Army veteran, as we represent the 2 most unfashionable political/religions movements in the entire world.