• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

st crispins vs vass

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everybody has a right to their opinion, however I'm still waiting to hear why you think St Crispins are over priced.

Sure, I'm not going to duck the question. In my view few things determine the price - brand value, labor cost, economy of the state, quality of materials and price differential relative to competitors in the same band.

In terms of brand and based out of Vienna they are certainly not in the same league as other Viennese shoes makers like Materna, Maftei not to mention Rudolf sheer. Even RTW shoes from Materna(made in Austria) is priced just north of 1k. Maftei semi bespoke runs around 900 Euros granted they are made in Romania. I doubt how much business Saint Crispins get out of Vienna if any at all.

Labor cost in Romania is even less given the current state of affairs than Hungary where in Vass are made and the price differential is staggering. In terms of materials I do not own any Crispins so I have not put the shoe under a microscope to know the quality of the leathers but from several high resolution pictures they do not seem any better I'd say in fact inferior to Vass. Please do not be led astray by the high shine, antiquing or whatever you may call it..

In terms of handwork the outsole is machine unlike Vass a hallmark of a well made traditional shoe...Also it has been proven that a all stitched sole w/o wooden pegs is superior and also more time consuming.
To me some of the idiosyncrasies that you see in Vass screams hand made unlike the crispins which looks just too clean too much refined..

I can go on but these are my premises that driving my opinion.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Yes, manufacturers in different countries will have different production costs. And they all compete in a global market for premium RTW shoes. As such, it makes no sense to suggest that considerations of price and value can only take place as between manufacturers in the same country (if that is what you were suggesting by your "depending on country of manufacturing" comment. It is a valid consideration is explaining differences in price, no doubt, and those produced in developing countries will generally have cheaper labour costs.

2) Vass shoes are significantly less costly than standard EG, Lobb and G&G, particularly when purchased directly from Vass - which pretty much anyone in the world is able to do. If someone wants to pay a premium for immediate in-country delivery from a US re-seller that's fine (and those re-sellers are good peeps), but it doesn't alter the manufacturer's pricing structure for the purpose of comparison with that of other manufacturers.

3) Ask Vass owners what other shoes they own and you may have your answer as to who their competitors might be. I suspect that realistically, lines demarking competitors are not brightly drawn. For me, they would embrace the likes of the higher-end C&J and AS, up to standard EG and G&G and the like. I would not see them as a competitor to St. Crispin's simply because the price disparity is too great. I could have purchased three pairs of some of my Vass shoes (~$600 x3) for the near equivalent of one pair of St. Crispin's (~$1,700). Certainly you could buy any two pair of standard calf Vass and have change left over for the cost of a pair of St. Crispin's.

On the flip side, one could argue that UK makers and StC are way overpriced compare to their Central/Eastern European counterparts.

This is what makes St Crispin unique; they are Eastern European made but yet able to command UK pricing due to their distribution, customer service, etc.

Quality-wise, I've seen better but wont complain at the price and the last customization options available.

Overall, StC is less overpriced compare to the UK makers but I am willing to let them take my money.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the flip side, one could argue that UK makers and StC are way overpriced compare to their Central/Eastern European counterparts.

This is what makes St Crispin unique; they are Eastern European made but yet able to command UK pricing due to their distribution, customer service, etc.

Quality-wise, I've seen better but wont complain at the price and the last customization options available.

Overall, StC is less overpriced compare to the UK makers but I am willing to let them take my money.

Yes - St. C. does command pricing similar to the better UK makers - and I would say the quality is easily on par if not better (in the RTW context). In that regard, it is hard to argue that they are "grossly overpriced" within the context of a global market.

If the quality were poor, the designs uninspired, the customer service indifferent and the pricing high - well then you'd have a real argument as to gross over-pricing. But then you'd have to try to explain why they are succeeding in selling at that price globally. And more to the point, none of those factors are in play. The quality of construction, materials / design / customization / service are all on par or better than those of the UK makers with similar pricing. I can't see where St. C. is somehow obliged to sell at a lower price because their labor costs are less.

I let them take my money, too.

Turns out you can make shoes and make money.

Are there any RTW makers that you would place above St. C. in terms of quality?

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2) Vass shoes are significantly less costly than standard EG, Lobb and G&G, particularly when purchased directly from Vass - which pretty much anyone in the world is able to do. 

That is no longer true for us in USA. I tried to purchase something directly from Vass, I was told I have to go through VASS authorized US retailer.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Rezső turning away direct orders from US now?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is no longer true for us in USA. I tried to purchase something directly from Vass, I was told I have to go through VASS authorized US retailer.

Damn I've been putting off a few pairs of Vass but was gonna order soon. I guess we all know who complained about this

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I'm not going to duck the question. In my view few things determine the price - brand value, labor cost, economy of the state, quality of materials and price differential relative to competitors in the same band.

In terms of brand and based out of Vienna they are certainly not in the same league as other Viennese shoes makers like Materna, Maftei not to mention Rudolf sheer. Even RTW shoes from Materna(made in Austria) is priced just north of 1k. Maftei semi bespoke runs around 900 Euros granted they are made in Romania. I doubt how much business Saint Crispins get out of Vienna if any at all.

Labor cost in Romania is even less given the current state of affairs than Hungary where in Vass are made and the price differential is staggering. In terms of materials I do not own any Crispins so I have not put the shoe under a microscope to know the quality of the leathers but from several high resolution pictures they do not seem any better I'd say in fact inferior to Vass. Please do not be led astray by the high shine, antiquing or whatever you may call it..

In terms of handwork the outsole is machine unlike Vass a hallmark of a well made traditional shoe...Also it has been proven that a all stitched sole w/o wooden pegs is superior and also more time consuming.
To me some of the idiosyncrasies that you see in Vass screams hand made unlike the crispins which looks just too clean too much refined..

I can go on but these are my premises that driving my opinion.

Thanks for sharing, and I can see now why you believe they are not worth the price they charge. You've made a good argument, however I can't say you've persuaded me to change my mind. Based on the other brands I own now and what I have seen so far I'm very pleased with what I have received from St Crispins so far.

emptym

Reaction score

Isn't the original statement referring to St Crispine not Vass?

I read it the other way - give the comments about not reflecting Hungarian tradition and such.  Vass is made in Hungary, St. Crispin's is not.

I can see how the confusion arose. On the one hand, he quoted RogerP on Vass. On the other, he specified that he was criticizing a Viennese company, which those familiar w/ the two companies would immediately recognize as St. C's.

Last edited:

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing, and I can see now why you believe they are not worth the price they charge. You've made a good argument, however I can't say you've persuaded me to change my mind.   Based on the other brands I own now and what I have seen so far I'm very pleased with what I have received from St Crispins so far.

Good people agree to disagree agreeably.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score

Is Rezső turning away direct orders from US now?

Damn I've been putting off a few pairs of Vass but was gonna order soon. I guess we all know who complained about this

I do not think this is correct.
I've worked with Rezso on two MTM orders in the past year, the first one was placed with him, in person, in Budapest and the other over phone/email as recently as last month. He was highly responsive, service was great, and the shoes are wonderful. No discussion of needing to go through a US retailer (do those even exist for Vass?).

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score

3) Ask Vass owners what other shoes they own and you may have your answer as to who their competitors might be.  I suspect that realistically, lines demarking competitors are not brightly drawn.  For me, they would embrace the likes of the  higher-end C&J and AS, up to standard EG and G&G and the like.  I would not see them as a competitor to St. Crispin's simply because the price disparity is too great.  I could have purchased three pairs of some of my Vass shoes (~$600 x3) for the near equivalent of one pair of St. Crispin's (~$1,700).  Certainly you could buy any two pair of standard calf Vass and have change left over for the cost of a pair of St. Crispin's.

The thing that shouldn't be forgotten is that you can actually go to a Vass store (if you find yourself in Budapest, mind you) and try on 10-20 pairs of shoes until you find exactly the last, size, and style that fits you best. The service is incredible. They have a huge inventory at their main store, which is simply not the case for the EG or C&J "flagship" stores (London, Paris, NY) and certainly isn't the case for high end multi-brand retailers (Leffot, Leather Soul, the Armoury). This enables you to figure out exactly what you need (size and last) and exactly what you want (style, leather color). Many, many permutations are there to be seen, touched, and felt before you make an order.

Then you can place an MTO order at essentially zero (or actually zero? I forget) upcharge. You'll receive the shoes in 3-4 weeks. Cost to your front door (in the US) is around $700-800, including their gorgeous trees. Not inexpensive compared to what most people wear but this is downright cheap by SF standards.

EG MTO has a significant upcharge and takes 6-9 months IIRC. Good luck on them getting your request right, from what I understand.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not think this is correct.
I've worked with Rezso on two MTM orders in the past year, the first one was placed with him, in person, in Budapest and the other over phone/email as recently as last month. He was highly responsive, service was great, and the shoes are wonderful. No discussion of needing to go through a US retailer (do those even exist for Vass?).

Well Rezso turned me down on November 1. This is a quote from him "Also since we have retailers in the US, we don’t ship shoes directly to the US" Maybe it is because you have already established relationship with them.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well Rezso turned me down on November 1. This is a quote from him "Also since we have retailers in the US, we don’t ship shoes directly to the US" Maybe it is because you have already established relationship with them.

How much are the US retailers selling it for? You can always go via the Notch route. he is charging quite a reasonable price for Vass RTW and MTO.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much are the US retailers selling it for? You can always go via the Notch route. he is charging quite a reasonable price for Vass RTW and MTO.

You know at this point I do not even care. There are other option available so I see no point to beg anyone to take my money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads