• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The proverbial rabbit hole strikes again! That's why I always tell people to stick with one brand and one brand only. As soon as you take off the horse blinders, it is all downhill from there.

No cant do T-T
I can't stop myself from trying different great brands.

andreasky

Reaction score
Hi, can someone post any pictures of bison leather shoes? What about this kind of leather? Does it make creases? Thanks

sdfzs

Reaction score

IMO bison is thick but rather soft. While I don’t find it to crease that much the grain structure hides the potential creases way better than INC or similar leather. Note that for MTO’s you can kindly ask for smaller or larger grain structure. While I guess there is no guarantee of what you will get since the hides have very big variation it can influence the outcome. On my pair above I asked for a rather fine grain consistent with the swatches.

andreasky

Reaction score
View attachment 1252190 View attachment 1252191

IMO bison is thick but rather soft. While I don’t find it to crease that much the grain structure hides the potential creases way better than INC or similar leather. Note that for MTO’s you can kindly ask for smaller or larger grain structure. While I guess there is no guarantee of what you will get since the hides have very big variation it can influence the outcome. On my pair above I asked for a rather fine grain consistent with the swatches.

They look gorgeous. Thanks also for your advice. What about breathability? Apart form boots, what about wearing bison leather shoes in summer?

sdfzs

Reaction score
They look gorgeous. Thanks also for your advice. What about breathability? Apart form boots, what about wearing bison leather shoes in summer?

From breathability point of view i feel bison feels similar to suede, then it should be noted that i personally feel very little difference in breathability unless you go from extremes like unlined suede to cordovan or similar. To me these basically feels like a normal boot like in crust or mountain calf.

When i did these i was thinking bison was a boot or rugged derby leather only but since then i have been inspired by for example cavour that did this stunning whole cut loafer in bison. It might not be for everyone and it's definitely on the casual side but it was still opening my eyes for this leather in other context than autumn and winter attire

andreasky

Reaction score
From breathability point of view i feel bison feels similar to suede, then it should be noted that i personally feel very little difference in breathability unless you go from extremes like unlined suede to cordovan or similar. To me these basically feels like a normal boot like in crust or mountain calf.

When i did these i was thinking bison was a boot or rugged derby leather only but since then i have been inspired by for example cavour that did this stunning whole cut loafer in bison. It might not be for everyone and it's definitely on the casual side but it was still opening my eyes for this leather in other context than autumn and winter attire

If the breathability of bison is similar to suede, do you think one can wear bison leather shoes throughout the year? A plain derby or a wholecut oxford may be a versatile solution with the advantage of the wonderful texture of bison.

Valfunde

Reaction score
Anyone with experience with the bronze goat? Thinking of getting the loafer variation that skoak had a while back.

sdfzs

Reaction score
If the breathability of bison is similar to suede, do you think one can wear bison leather shoes throughout the year? A plain derby or a wholecut oxford may be a versatile solution with the advantage of the wonderful texture of bison.

From a pure leather thickness/breath-ability point of view i do not rule anything out but YMMV. It's all based where you are based i.e. climate, personal aspects such as perspiration and thought process around this. To me this leather was earlier a autumn/winter style only purely out of aesthetics point of view but since seeing some inspiration on loafers i would not hesitate to make something for summer. When thinking of it there is a lot of stunning examples of loafers in crocodile and lizard and Bison is just another course grain leather although less showy than the exotics

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
Between CRU 606 and CRU 608 which is a darker shade of brown? It’s hard to tell from photos.

I’m looking for a shade of brown between mid brown and dark brown, i.e. one shade lighter than CRU 609. Any recommendations?

sdfzs

Reaction score
In my view 608 typically ends up darker but the shade is not the significant difference between the two IMO. 606 has a warmth through its red tones and while 608 is also a mid to mid-dark brown by definition it lacks the warmth and had a colder brown-gray feel to it. Both excellent but different. I fine for example the colder color of 608 pairs excellently with fabric often refer to as “stone” while 606 is my goto for pairing with warmer beige tones

Terminator

Reaction score
In my view 608 typically ends up darker but the shade is not the significant difference between the two IMO. 606 has a warmth through its red tones and while 608 is also a mid to mid-dark brown by definition it lacks the warmth and had a colder brown-gray feel to it. Both excellent but different. I fine for example the colder color of 608 pairs excellently with fabric often refer to as “stone” while 606 is my goto for pairing with warmer beige tones

Going back to this, can anyone please post pics of 606 next to 608? I have the 633 in 609, but these would be for an Oxford.

What’s everyone’s favourite Oxford, in either black or brown?

sdfzs

Reaction score
Unfortunately i live in the cold north where daylight is a valuable asset not bless to office slaves such as me this half of year. It's dark when i leave home, it's dark when i get home. That's why we brew beer and distill vodka! Hence pardon the crappy image snapped this morning (IPhone X, Flash, no filter). For some reason i forgot to include CRU 607 there also. Must be the darkness...

Left to right CRU 606, CRU 608 and CRU 609. A disclaimer about my CRU 608 to be told. My habit of polish for these guys are both cream and wax with warm tones of brown, hence they have developed to be more warmer than the colder brown with hints of gray that CRU 608 is typically coming as out of the box

6unhNbg.jpg

CRU 609 from when there was light...
9Oyxe6a.jpg

CRU 608
sYutoyG.jpg

The mysterious CRU 607
1yN6smT.jpg

Model 633 CRU 607 (left) compared to Model 539 in CRU 609 (right)
6w7HTTY.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads