• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found it. Kinda old though.

https://theshoesnobblog.com/saint-crispins-factory-visit/

"As I mentioned, the shoes about 95% handmade. That 5% is attaching the sole, which is done by a very old hand-driven machine that stitches on the sole. Phillip tells me that the results are nearly identical (providing that one is skilled with this very old-world machine), but the time to attach the sole is drastically reduced using the machine, so in his mind it only makes mathematical sense to do so. And presuming that he is accurate, I can’t say that I can disagree with that notion. And from what I have seen of their sole stitching, it looks quite tidy to me and I have never heard of sole separation before, so why not use it instead of doing it by hand?! However, funny enough, when they do a re-sole, it is done by hand and not using the machine."
View attachment 1803196

I suppose that makes sense why it costs as much as it does for a resole.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that turns out to be true my theory would be that with the machine on a new welt and sole it's faster and saves time and costs. On a resole if they don't have to remove the welt by hand it's easier to follow the previous holes?

I have no idea, just spectulation.

They definitely can go through the old holes that were made by the machine (holes on the upper), but they'd probably just replace the welt if they were doing it by hand.

I'm thinking the machine can't go over the same holes, or be as accurately calibrated to go over the same holes.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest at the price point I find it a disappointment that the soles aren't hand stitched.

I agree. I wonder how much more they would charge for a handsewn sole. TBF to them, not many makers, even at this price point, are giving you a handsewn sole.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found it. Kinda old though.

https://theshoesnobblog.com/saint-crispins-factory-visit/

"As I mentioned, the shoes about 95% handmade. That 5% is attaching the sole, which is done by a very old hand-driven machine that stitches on the sole. Phillip tells me that the results are nearly identical (providing that one is skilled with this very old-world machine), but the time to attach the sole is drastically reduced using the machine, so in his mind it only makes mathematical sense to do so. And presuming that he is accurate, I can’t say that I can disagree with that notion. And from what I have seen of their sole stitching, it looks quite tidy to me and I have never heard of sole separation before, so why not use it instead of doing it by hand?! However, funny enough, when they do a re-sole, it is done by hand and not using the machine."
View attachment 1803196
Thanks for linking to this. Learn something new everyday

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOD633 in Dk Brown Suede via @kevinsvindland

025D7AC2-1E23-473E-8DD0-582DDF03495A.jpeg
D5D2F8DF-B0E6-45BF-8826-9887A71B54B4.jpeg
4437E3F1-78C2-40C0-A289-110901EEBFD3.jpeg
D8D61321-9270-4145-85CF-D856BCB7694D.jpeg
867C2DFF-E4AA-4C07-8A4B-2DE8781CCAC8.jpeg

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend, you're going to have to start telling us sthe details on all your watch postings :)
Your watch taste is A+.
Which Breguet is this

OUt of curiosity, who takes these shoe photos for you?

Thank you. It is a Breguet 5247 with Lemania movement inside & Grand feu enamel dial. Love everything about this piece.

I use a hand held trigger to take the pictures.

Reactions: PGS

Jasonftw

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered any shoes with Kudu 076 suede?? The ones i got are obviously very nice, but i'm not getting any of the tobacco tones that i see online and i've tried everything to recreate the lighting. They said its a photography issue and that the leather has not changed, but i think mine are darker than all i've seen. Does anyone else have any recent pics of KUD076???

Attachments

• IMG_6784.JPG
    IMG_6784.JPG
    744.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 63ca3245-81f1-410a-9880-dc86df7fab6b.jpg
    63ca3245-81f1-410a-9880-dc86df7fab6b.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 524.jpg
    524.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7519.PNG
    IMG_7519.PNG
    301.3 KB · Views: 87

Mallaig

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered any shoes with Kudu 076 suede?? The ones i got are obviously very nice, but i'm not getting any of the tobacco tones that i see online and i've tried everything to recreate the lighting. They said its a photography issue and that the leather has not changed, but i think mine are darker than all i've seen. Does anyone else have any recent pics of KUD076???
I have a pair of boots in KUD076 ! They are gorgeous. The color is highly dependent on the surroundings. They look quite dark in the first picture and much lighter in the second when compared to a brown Kudu leather (Enzo B) and dark brown Cordovan (Harlech).

5B67D8EF-8468-4C81-A385-C21A4D02D9D5.jpeg
F6BCBD25-08EC-4AEB-A26D-83CF7D20101C.jpeg

Jasonftw

Reaction score
That’s beautiful and more of what I was expecting. I don’t think mine look like that.

ryanluo23

Reaction score

The photo you shared '524.jpeg' has a filter on it and the colour can be misleading. If that is the colour you are after the other popular leather and colourway is the JAN Marraca. KUD076 can look very different in brightly light vs lo-light area as depicted by @Mallaig
1656986922751.png 1656986541100.png

I will attached mine as comparision which has lo exposure at the rear and abit more light at the front

willyto

Reaction score
I agree. I wonder how much more they would charge for a handsewn sole. TBF to them, not many makers, even at this price point, are giving you a handsewn sole.
I guess my thinking is that if Vass Budapest are doing it then they could also do it. The price difference alone would justify it.

I have no data but I would think that wages in Hungary and Budapest would be similar for shoemakers.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess my thinking is that if Vass Budapest are doing it then they could also do it. The price difference alone would justify it.

I have no data but I would think that wages in Hungary and Budapest would be similar for shoemakers.

I'd agree with the wages being similar. Like yourself, I base that assertion on anecdotal evidence.

When you consider they are performing that level of work on a resole at presumably no additional cost (AFAIK anyways), how much more trouble would it be to provide their customer that additional handwork detail for a brand new pair. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jasonftw

Reaction score
The photo you shared '524.jpeg' has a filter on it and the colour can be misleading. If that is the colour you are after the other popular leather and colourway is the JAN Marraca. KUD076 can look very different in brightly light vs lo-light area as depicted by @Mallaig
View attachment 1809512 View attachment 1809510

I will attached mine as comparision which has lo exposure at the rear and abit more light at the front

Thanks! I wish i had know this 8 months ago. Oh well. They are still nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads