• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FONlx

Reaction score
Just a head's up, it might be someone's cup of tea, you could have missed it for some reason:

jmewhpg

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I have trawled through this thread and not come across clear advice on CRU leather shoe care. Speaking with St. C. direct they suggest only their wax polish, no other products, and 'less is more'. For my other shoes (EG/GG/Crockett) I typically use Sapphire Pom cream and polishes.

My understanding is that the CRU leathers require a bit of extra care. However, I was surprised to learn that cream shouldn't be part of my routine. Is everyone just caring for their St. C's with wax polish or are they also using coloured creams? If not the latter, do you still condition with something like Bick4?

Many thanks in advance :)

darkcharger

Reaction score
Latest commission from Saint Crispin's arrived today. I haven't even had a chance to polish them yet.

Oxford Mod 564

IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi gents,

I have trawled through this thread and not come across clear advice on CRU leather shoe care. Speaking with St. C. direct they suggest only their wax polish, no other products, and 'less is more'. For my other shoes (EG/GG/Crockett) I typically use Sapphire Pom cream and polishes.

My understanding is that the CRU leathers require a bit of extra care. However, I was surprised to learn that cream shouldn't be part of my routine. Is everyone just caring for their St. C's with wax polish or are they also using coloured creams? If not the latter, do you still condition with something like Bick4?

Many thanks in advance :)

I use BICK4 exclusively on my StC. It restores the factory shine and it does not screw with the coloring like some products that may actually remove some of the hand dyed CRU color. At least don't use Reno.

I've had StC shoes for 4-5 years that I have used nothing but BICK4 on. Most of them look almost box new, except for some natural creasing of course. The factory mirror shine is intact after all these years. It's kind if silly really. Shoe maintenance should be harder. :D

jmewhpg

Reaction score
I use BICK4 exclusively on my StC. It restores the factory shine and it does not screw with the coloring like some products that may actually remove some of the hand dyed CRU color. At least don't use Reno.

I've had StC shoes for 4-5 years that I have used nothing but BICK4 on. Most of them look almost box new, except for some natural creasing of course. The factory mirror shine is intact after all these years. It's kind if silly really. Shoe maintenance should be harder. :D

Hi @Leaves - very much appreciated for the response. Interesting about the BICK4 and the shine, I was actually hoping that would tone down a little having taken them out off the box yesterday (633 CRU 606). So, do you still wax polish after BICK4, or are you saying you literally only use BICK4 and nothing else ever?

Thinking of future orders, do you treat the VNA leathers the same way?

Thank you again - I really do appreciate the advice.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi @Leaves - very much appreciated for the response. Interesting about the BICK4 and the shine, I was actually hoping that would tone down a little having taken them out off the box yesterday (633 CRU 606). So, do you still wax polish after BICK4, or are you saying you literally only use BICK4 and nothing else ever?

Thinking of future orders, do you treat the VNA leathers the same way?

Thank you again - I really do appreciate the advice.

Yes I use only BICK4 and nothing else ever.

I don't own a lot of VNA pairs, but have some different types of embossed leathers and I use BICK4 on everything.

It should be mentioned I do rotate my shoes a lot so few of them see any heavy wear; that's not uncommon for SF members but definitely below average wear for "normal" people outside of SF. However, I have a "beater" pair of StC Lazyman's Oxfords in CRU that I wear 1-2 times per week and these also hold up extremely well with just BICK4 maintenance.

Psyko

Reaction score
Are my eyes playing tricks on me when it seems like Simon Cromptons 524's on a personal last look quite different from the 524's on the classic last? The curves seem more dramatic to me, as well as the toe box longer and wider. Or do the 524's look the same viewed from the same angle as the photo?

Screenshot_20210531-211534_Chrome.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are my eyes playing tricks on me when it seems like Simon Cromptons 524's on a personal last look quite different from the 524's on the classic last? The curves seem more dramatic to me, as well as the toe box longer and wider. Or do the 524's look the same viewed from the same angle as the photo?

View attachment 1619509
The toebox definitely looks tall compared to the RTW classic last, but maybe that's what he needs

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1619509

Not sure if it is longer, but (as @jischwar mentioned) the toebox walls certainly look higher. That height might be what's contributing to the different dimensions overall.

Last edited:

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Not sure if it is longer, but (as @jischwar mentioned) the toebox walls certainly look higher. That height might be what's contributing to the different dimensions overall.

The infamous 524 is often built on the Riva Last (which has a more pronounced elevated head) Thus SC's 524, though built on a personal last may also have modeled after the Riva when he ordered the 524...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The infamous 524 is often built on the Riva Last (which has a more pronounced elevated head) Thus SC's 524, though built on a personal last may also have modeled after the Riva when he ordered the 524...

That's probably true. I typically see it built on the Classic last, but this has the Riva "puff". The Riva last has that pronounced toe puff quality going on.

I typically see the Riva on boots & SpTDs, so shouldn't be a problem to make it on a Chukka. I like how it looks. Very Paolo Scaforaish ??.

See below
20210603_201013.jpg

Last edited:

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Pics for reference - I don't normally like the Riva but I think it suits the 524 very well - The order is imminent, just gotta decide on the leather ;)

Riva Last

1622768473354.png

1622768491053.png

Classic Last
1622768530789.png

1622768542374.png

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads