• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself always attracted to tan colour leather, even tho i realize now that it's not as versatile as a dark brown or even medium brown. Maybe it's cuz you're able to patina it easier and make it your own, where as darker browns you're more just maintaining that colour when polishing.

This part of your comment even tho i realize now that it's not as versatile as a dark brown or even medium brown
is another aspect to those ligther colors.

I'd rather pay my maximum on colors that are more versatile, and I can obtain maximum utility. A medium brown to dark brown (depending on style) can be used for four seasons (in NY anyways). Were I to live in the Caribbean, or some tropical part of the country or A tropical country, the utility would differ. YMMV is absolutely applicable with these lighter colors.

I do agree that you can essentially customize the lighter colors compared to their darker counterparts, but for those lazy folks you shouldn't have to.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fear of a dud would scare me away faster than a coughing person on the grocery line.
It would scare me away too, but I just received an unexpected inheritance from a great aunt (RIP) I met once when I was 7, so I'm feeling like I can blow money on the more exotic ideas that have been haunting my dream with this money I never planned to have.

Scrooge Mcduck GIF - Scrooge Mcduck Money - Discover & Share GIFs

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would scare me away too, but I just received an unexpected inheritance from a great aunt (RIP) I met once when I was 7, so I'm feeling like I can blow money on the more exotic ideas that have been haunting my dream with this money I never planned to have.

Newfound money isn't bad. ??

Sit on the idea before committing to the purchase. Say 30 days. Seems a good number.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
One benefit to a wholecut in shell over calf is you won't get the hard creases in the toe area and will instead get the rolls, which can easily be flatten with a deer bone or something similar.

I have a pair of navy wholecuts in shell from Carmina and don't regret them at all. I imagine a pair from STC will surpass those in every way.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I also received an unexpected inheritance! It's this guy in Zimbabwe. He says he wants to give me $8 000 000 from a dead prince with no living relatives! Wow! All I need to do is send him $1000 for an admin fee and they will transfer the money! And the marvelous thing is, there's a guy in Liberia too who died and they want to give me his money. Amazing! I'm going to be a miiiiiiiiiiiiiiillionaire...!!!!!!!

:hide:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Newfound money isn't bad. ??

Sit on the idea before committing to the purchase. Say 30 days. Seems a good number.

Have you ever followed this advise yourself, at any point, when it comes to shoes? :D

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also received an unexpected inheritance! It's this guy in Zimbabwe. He says he wants to give me $8 000 000 from a dead prince with no living relatives! Wow! All I need to do is send him $1000 for an admin fee and they will transfer the money! And the marvelous thing is, there's a guy in Liberia too who died and they want to give me his money. Amazing! I'm going to be a miiiiiiiiiiiiiiillionaire...!!!!!!!

:hide:
lol, it ain't a large inheritance, but I do actually know his grat ant, and my uncle is the executor, so it's legit.

Do you have any opinion on a shell whole cut?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
lol, it ain't a large inheritance, but I do actually know his grat ant, and my uncle is the executor, so it's legit.

Do you have any opinion on a shell whole cut?

I love it. Preferably on some type of last like Riva and not the Classic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads