• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with @jischwar. I would imagine the classic last should be nice. The B-chiseled last is more of a statement piece which should make them stand out.
Basically, you want a subtle look go classic, and if you want to turn heads select the B-chisel.

And in case you are wondering, no I don't have a wholecut from them. Were I to purchase one though, either aniline in Navy (darkest navy available) or Black would suit my tastes.
Yeah, since I plan to go with black, I'll probably go with the classic last. I might also get a pair in Shell cordovan. Kinda just because I want to see them try and make a seamless wholecut with shell. :devil:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, since I plan to go with black, I'll probably go with the classic last. I might also get a pair in Shell cordovan. Kinda just because I want to see them try and make a seamless wholecut with shell. :devil:

Sounds like a good idea. A Classic last in black. They should remain stylish for years, especially as you are making them in a muted color and last. I'd doubt your tastes will change that much within the next few years that you would forgo using them because they would seem out of place due to societal aesthetic style changes.

What color in Cordovan?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. A Classic last in black. They should remain stylish for years, especially as you are making them in a muted color and last. I'd doubt your tastes will change that much within the next few years that you would forgo using them because they would seem out of place due to societal aesthetic style changes.

What color in Cordovan?
I like the tan shades of Cordovan like Bourbon or whiskey, but I don't have much in the way of brown shell. I'm torn.

I like the tan colors cause the depth and color variations are more apparent.

This is quite nice

brown whole.JPG

But I also like this.

tan whole.JPG

Cause I like the color as it appears here.
2021-01-13 08.18.15.jpeg

I'm not radical enough to have green or navy as options. If I was then I'd probably go that direction.

Jona

Reaction score

What color in Cordovan?

Crust or VNA for the black calf?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair in crust black. I don't see any reason to get Crust calf in black. It has all the negatives of crust half with none of the positives. If I could redo that pair I'd go with regular boxcalf black

Jona

Reaction score
I have a pair in crust black. I don't see any reason to get Crust calf in black. It has all the negatives of crust half with none of the positives. If I could redo that pair I'd go with regular boxcalf black

DITTO box calf. The black wholecut in crust that I've seen has unattractive crease lines.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the tan shades of Cordovan like Bourbon or whiskey, but I don't have much in the way of brown shell. I'm torn.

I like the tan colors cause the depth and color variations are more apparent.

This is quite nice

View attachment 1597165

But I also like this.

View attachment 1597166

Cause I like the color as it appears here.
View attachment 1597168

I'm not radical enough to have green or navy as options. If I was then I'd probably go that direction.

Cover you basics first. Brown or that first picture.

Remember what I mentioned about tastes evolving. You like tan now. You may feel differently 5 yrs from now. Hard to fathom you would ever dislike wearing muted colors.
Moreover, easier to sale off the darker colors.

If you are intent on tan, and money is no problem, go for it. If money isn't flowing, the evolving tastes comment resonates, but the tan is still intended, find a different maker that can make the shoe more inexpensively. This way it looks good, but the financial hit wouldnt hurt as much.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Remember what I mentioned about tastes evolving. You like tan now. You may feel differently 5 yrs from now. Hard to fathom you would ever dislike wearing muted colors.

If you are intent on tan, and money is no problem, go for it. If money isn't flowing, the evolving tastes comment resonates, but the tan is still intended, find a different maker that can make the shoe more inexpensively. This way it looks good, but the financial hit wouldnt hurt as much.
Yeah, I would go the Carmina route for these, but I'm afraid to order from Carmina right now, because their QC has gone to pot. But I gotta pace myself anyway. I should order the Black calf ones first, and really make sure the fit is flawless, before I even consider a shell oxford. I might as well just burn the money of I plan to order in ill fitting oxford made in shell cordovan. I'd never end up wearing that.

I also gotta order those hatchgrain St.C wingtips that were posted here a few weeks back.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would go the Carmina route for these, but I'm afraid to order from Carmina right now, because their QC has gone to pot. But I gotta pace myself anyway. I should order the Black calf ones first, and really make sure the fit is flawless, before I even consider a shell oxford. I might as well just burn the money of I plan to order in ill fitting oxford made in shell cordovan. I'd never end up wearing that.

I also gotta order those hatchgrain St.C wingtips that were posted here a few weeks back.

I definitely agree that prioritizing the correction of this last is critical. Once that gets rectified, everything, theoretically, should be as close to perfect as possible.

The Carmina would be interesting. An alternative to that could be TLB Mallorca, provided they allow for MTOs and allow usage of cordovan. Doesn't Joe Works offer a nice looking wholecut? Or is that my imagination haha.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree that prioritizing the correction of this last is critical. Once that gets rectified, everything, theoretically, should be as close to perfect as possible.

The Carmina would be interesting. An alternative to that could be TLB Mallorca, provided they allow for MTOs and allow usage of cordovan. Doesn't Joe Works offer a nice looking wholecut? Or is that my imagination haha.
Yeah, I'm a big proponent of TLB, but they don't have shell yet. I'm also not sure if they plan to use Horween. I'm a strictly Horween guy for shell. I'd better just stick with one whole cut right now, because I used to not like wholecuts, and now I do, but maybe later on I won't

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a big proponent of TLB, but they don't have shell yet. I'm also not sure if they plan to use Horween. I'm a strictly Horween guy for shell. I'd better just stick with one whole cut right now, because I used to not like wholecuts, and now I do, but maybe later on I won't

Considering that you aren't a big proponent of the style, definitely stick to the one (at least for now). ??

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I find myself always attracted to tan colour leather, even tho i realize now that it's not as versatile as a dark brown or even medium brown. Maybe it's cuz you're able to patina it easier and make it your own, where as darker browns you're more just maintaining that colour when polishing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads