• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the 'cyber fitting' work? Do they ask you to take measurements of your feet and send them by email?
Pretty much. You trace your foot and take and take like three or four measurements then send it all to him.

sforum1

Reaction score
Pretty much. You trace your foot and take and take like three or four measurements then send it all to him.
You found that alone worked more or less well? Is he also interested in what sizes you wear in other brands?

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You found that alone worked more or less well? Is he also interested in what sizes you wear in other brands?
It did for me but I think my foot is a pretty standard size. He didn't ask about other brand sizes.

The first pair I ordered was a cap toe derby. After I broke them in they started to develop a slight heel slip but nothing serious. They are still better feeling on my foot than any of my EG's. I had them reduce the heel on my second pair and they feel great. I think the only way to get a better fit would be to go bespoke.

sforum1

Reaction score
It did for me but I think my foot is a pretty standard size. He didn't ask about other brand sizes.

The first pair I ordered was a cap toe derby. After I broke them in they started to develop a slight heel slip but nothing serious. They are still better feeling on my foot than any of my EG's. I had them reduce the heel on my second pair and they feel great. I think the only way to get a better fit would be to go bespoke.
Great, thanks. Yeah, I think it's a good idea to provide him with any known particularities about your feet from your experience with other brands so that they are taken into consideration the first time around. Like, as you said, a slim heel, or high instep etc, things that may potentially not be captured 100% simply by the measurements you provide.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks. Yeah, I think it's a good idea to provide him with any known particularities about your feet from your experience with other brands so that they are taken into consideration the first time around. Like, as you said, a slim heel, or high instep etc, things that may potentially not be captured 100% simply by the measurements you provide.
You also get a trial shoe. I have very difficult to fit feet. After 2 trial shoes and the final product, I still have some fit issues. So I think it works well if you have mostly normal feet, but I can't get a perfect fit in any ready to wear shoes.

sforum1

Reaction score
You also get a trial shoe. I have very difficult to fit feet. After 2 trial shoes and the final product, I still have some fit issues. So I think it works well if you have mostly normal feet, but I can't get a perfect fit in any ready to wear shoes.
Are the trial shoes optional, because I imagine every trial pair costs an X $amount? So if you are fairly confident that the first pair will fit decently, then you can choose to put that extra money into your next pair where you can request additional changes based on how the first pair fit?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the trial shoes optional, because I imagine every trial pair costs an X $amount? So if you are fairly confident that the first pair will fit decently, then you can choose to put that extra money into your next pair where you can request additional changes based on how the first pair fit?
You pay for them, but that cost is deducted from the total of the final pair. So ultimately they are included for free. From that point of view, it is a good deal. If you were not aware, you willl need to pay for the personal last itself independent of the price of the shoes.

Here is exactly what Philip told me when I first inquired.

The costs for the trial shoes - made in the model you first pair should be - are € 250 including VAT and shipping, but these costs - not the shipping costs - will be deducted from the final pair. The delivery time for trial shoes is 2 to 3 weeks.

If you wish to have more than one pair of trial shoes, the costs are € 180 including VAT plus shipping, but these costs will not be deducted from the final pair.

The costs for a personal last is € 350 including VAT. Included here are all first and future adjustments til the almost perfect fit has been accomplished. For all future orders we use your personal last and the prices are the ones displayed on our website.

Mallaig

Reaction score
You pay for them, but that cost is deducted from the total of the final pair. So ultimately they are included for free. From that point of view, it is a good deal. If you were not aware, you willl need to pay for the personal last itself independent of the price of the shoes.

Here is exactly what Philip told me when I first inquired.

The costs for the trial shoes - made in the model you first pair should be - are € 250 including VAT and shipping, but these costs - not the shipping costs - will be deducted from the final pair. The delivery time for trial shoes is 2 to 3 weeks.

If you wish to have more than one pair of trial shoes, the costs are € 180 including VAT plus shipping, but these costs will not be deducted from the final pair.

The costs for a personal last is € 350 including VAT. Included here are all first and future adjustments til the almost perfect fit has been accomplished. For all future orders we use your personal last and the prices are the ones displayed on our website.
It is worth every penny if you are not satisfied with the fit of the standard shoes. I did buy a pair through eBay to try out the standard sizing and decided I would definitely need a customized last.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Black Friday boots have arrived. Love the grain of the leather, it is really unusual. Have worn them for a couple of (brief) expeditions out of the house and they feel wonderful. After I bought these I was talking to Philip about making another pair on my last, and he mentioned that the Black Friday boots would be shipped soon, but that he had them on my last to help them shape to my foot. Honestly, I had never considered that was possible. The level of customer care by StC is outstanding.
IMG_0212.jpeg
IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0230.jpeg
IMG_0231.jpeg

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Friday boots have arrived. Love the grain of the leather, it is really unusual. Have worn them for a couple of (brief) expeditions out of the house and they feel wonderful. After I bought these I was talking to Philip about making another pair on my last, and he mentioned that the Black Friday boots would be shipped soon, but that he had them on my last to help them shape to my foot. Honestly, I had never considered that was possible. The level of customer care by StC is outstanding. View attachment 1515584 View attachment 1515585 View attachment 1515586 View attachment 1515587
Is that dinosaur leather?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the collective group, when going the MTO route is it better to reach out to a retailer (say Cavour or Skoak) or go directly to StC? Pros and cons for those who have done both would be helpful.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally found communication through retailer to be easier. Some times I don't get a response (sent followup) from Phillip, but to be fair, I emailed him during BF sale, he must be busy during that time. Then I reached out to Skoak for my MTO Inquiry. (One additional benefit from Skoak is I can use regular postage, it helps with duties)

LThomsen

Reaction score
Any advantages for US customers to use a retailer over direct order with stc ?

Mallaig

Reaction score
Question for the collective group, when going the MTO route is it better to reach out to a retailer (say Cavour or Skoak) or go directly to StC? Pros and cons for those who have done both would be helpful.
My only experience is directly with StC. The entire process has been seamless. I reached out to them through their website to ask about having a last made. Philip responded via email and then we set up calls on whatsapp to do the sizing, trial shoes, etc. After the first pair we talked a few times about fit and how to tune the last. As I noted on the post about the dinosaur leather boots, they went above and beyond with that purchase. When they shipped the boots they also sent suede samples to help me on the selection of my next pair. I'm a very happy customer.

Having said all that, StC is a small operation. If they are on vacation, you wont get a quick response. If they are busy with other orders, you won't get a quick response. As long as you have realistic expectations, I think it is a great way to go.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads