• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
@Patrick1053.. I don't have crust leather from StC (2 Russ Horweens, 2 Blk Ani, 1 suede), but I can say that the vamp area is on the thinner side (regardless of leather type). I remember handling the crust at several trunk shows, and when they had their atelier here in NY.

StC’s uses a thin crust leather (I find the crust still thinner than the other leathers) which they themselves dye, unlike say pre-dyed crust which others use. So when you have house dyed crust, a thin leather (which creases like a mothereffer regardless of maker), and a high tension area like the vamp, you will have visible creasing and discoloring.
Comes part and parcel with StC and the crust leather option.

Funny, I would have said the opposite. The leather of my StCs seems thicker than G&G, Cleverly, EG that I have had.

thank you. What is there aniline like? Would you describe it as particularly soft? And how does it crease?

I have only one pair in aniline. It is not particularly soft, not at all like Cleverly or some others. Creasing seems average to me.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I would have said the opposite. The leather of my StCs seems thicker than G&G, Cleverly, EG that I have had.

I have only one pair in aniline. It is not particularly soft, not at all like Cleverly or some others. Creasing seems average to me.
I also find StC to be less soft and thicker.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you. What is there aniline like? Would you describe it as particularly soft? And how does it crease?

I don't have the GGs any longer to compare, and has been so long since I've owned them so I forgot. Clevs do feel softer but not thinner (to me anyways). Same with the EGs.

These assertions are based on the anilines (at least I think EG uses aniline and know my Clevs have an aniline). For the crust, I'm going off of memory because, as mentioned, I don't own it.

I will say that the Aniline feels stiffer but thinner along the vamp. I believe StCs uses Weinheimer so perhaps that's why they are stiff.

TBH though, I'm not sure what it is that they use for their anilines ?. That would be useful information to obtain. Would that information even be disclosed?

In any case, nothing out of the ordinary with regards to StC anilines creasing.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am honing in on my next pair.

I am down to these to models. They are very similar.

522C
image (2).png

image (1).png

Philip just told me that they are offering Museum calf now. I might go for a brown museum calf. Otherwise, I need to decide what shade of brown I want with the Crust leather. Comments/ suggestions are more than welcome.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also find StC to be less soft and thicker.

Yes, I'd say StC has a lot more structure than other brands. So they'll start off thicker but IMO will mold to your foot better long run and have better support.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd say StC has a lot more structure than other brands. So they'll start off thicker but IMO will mold to your foot better long run and have better support.
Thanks, I am realizing that, as I continue to wear my first pair. Each time feels more comfortable than the last time.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am realizing that, as I continue to wear my first pair. Each time feels more comfortable than the last time.

Yeah it's funny, the difference between say my G&G pairs vs. my St. C pairs is night and day. The G&G are like barely structured, so quite comfortable and soft immediately, but the St. C really grow on me wear after wear.

sforum1

Reaction score
Yeah it's funny, the difference between say my G&G pairs vs. my St. C pairs is night and day. The G&G are like barely structured, so quite comfortable and soft immediately, but the St. C really grow on me wear after wear.
The most structured and best-built shoes I have seen so far (shoemaking at its very best) is Santoni Limited Edition. I own 2 pairs and I can speak just for these pairs, but of all the other brands I've owned and worn (pretty much every brand) NOTHING came close.

In particular, they make St. Cripin's look like a baby.

$2,000 for a pair of these, reasonable.
$1,250 for a pair of EG/GG, RIPOFF.
St Crispin’s >> EG/GG
AC very decent.

JL you know where I stand. Trash.

Vass still best value.

All these new brands that are popping up one a day these days, very mediocre shoes (consistent with their prices) and most won’t make it.

Quality slowly but surely going down across the board. Sad.

Last edited:

LThomsen

Reaction score
I am honing in on my next pair.

I am down to these to models. They are very similar.

522C
View attachment 1467659

View attachment 1467660

Philip just told me that they are offering Museum calf now. I might go for a brown museum calf. Otherwise, I need to decide what shade of brown I want with the Crust leather. Comments/ suggestions are more than welcome.
Beautiful shoes. Perhaps you "need" to have them both☺.

Oasis

Reaction score
I had a quick look but couldn't find an answer - I'm certain there is one buried in this thread - but would anyone care to help me out?

Resoling by St C. I've got a pair of mod 105's on a leather sole. I'd quite like to have that sole replaced with dainite. Any idea on price?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads