• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. I keep looking at both the natural shell and the shrunken calf of @DL120 as two of the most desirable items by StC.

More than likely I will be picking up a pair of those or the 537B loafers OR both. I'll probably end up saying I will buy a Whiskey or Reddish type color.

Ultimately, I will end up with the usual Dark Brown or if I'm feeling adventurous a Milk Chocolate ?. I live vicariously through @DL120 and his daring color choices.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Final pair have arrived and they are breathtaking.

There have been a lot of questions about the virtual sizing service in this thread. From my experience, I'd say it went as well as could reasonably be expected. Communication with Philip Car and his team was excellent, and their attention to detail is far beyond what I've experienced with other brands. The sizing process was simple. It definitely required two fitting shoes to nail down the fit. The finished shoes came quickly. The pricing was reasonable (ha ha). The finished product is ... well, just look at those shoes. I'd recommend this to anyone.

View attachment 1428693
View attachment 1428694 View attachment 1428695

They are gorgeous. Congratulations!

You are satisfied with the fit and that matters the most but as a mere observer, I am worried looking at how the lacings are already meeting all the way. As you break them in, these may become worse and the shoe would become loose at the instep. I have the same issue with StC RTW and wish that StC would pay more attention to instep in the customization process.

gte872h

Reaction score
Definitely agree on this. I imagine a small tongue pad can alleviate the issue if it happens. For future orders would recommend reducing the instep slightly.

Mallaig

Reaction score
They are gorgeous. Congratulations!

You are satisfied with the fit and that matters the most but as a mere observer, I am worried looking at how the lacings are already meeting all the way. As you break them in, these may become worse and the shoe would become loose at the instep. I have the same issue with StC RTW and wish that StC would pay more attention to instep in the customization process.

Thanks. Great point. I'll try with a slightly thicker pair of socks to see if there is a difference, otherwise I guess I send them back to be adjusted or add a tongue pad as @gte872h suggests.

DL120

Reaction score
Definitely agree on this. I imagine a small tongue pad can alleviate the issue if it happens. For future orders would recommend reducing the instep slightly.
I think it’s a fair comment. I’m in the middle of my first mto with a modified last so I will see how it turns out. But I think we have to measure our expectations of a remote custom last or last adjustment done via email. If I were doing more than adding 2-3mm to the last, I would’ve insisted on a cyber fitting and would not proceed until I was 100% confident PC understood what I wanted and the way he described it back made me confident in that we were on the same page. Doing it via email with pictures is just extremely difficult and all reliant on how proportional the photos are, how descriptive the messages are, and how well the individual can take their own measurements.
A side note, I just did one with AM, and we ended up having to do Video, because we were just not able to adequately communicate in email and photo.

to Nishants point, it’s definitely well regarded as I have instep issues but the opposite where I need more room not less. But again, I can only hold PC to account based on how explicitly clear of what my issue is, how often and when it happens, what mods it happens with and which is doesn’t. The Mod, the last, then material all play a role here, and while spending $1800 is a lot to get a custom shoe that doesn’t fit, I try to hold myself as accountable by ensuring I’m providing these details, as to whether it’s a mod with a tall top line, something in suede, in crust v aniline. Then I know he has every single piece of info I have, and if there’s still uncertainty about what is needed, I’d personally step away and just wait until a trunk show can happen again.

I know this was a bit long winded, but just going throw 2 custom last with 2 different makers, that’s my personal take on the experience and what’s my responsibility and what’s the makers responsibility. Not taking away or discounting anyone else’s, just sharing mine to expand the convo a bit.

Mallaig

Reaction score
I think it’s a fair comment. I’m in the middle of my first mto with a modified last so I will see how it turns out. But I think we have to measure our expectations of a remote custom last or last adjustment done via email. If I were doing more than adding 2-3mm to the last, I would’ve insisted on a cyber fitting and would not proceed until I was 100% confident PC understood what I wanted and the way he described it back made me confident in that we were on the same page. Doing it via email with pictures is just extremely difficult and all reliant on how proportional the photos are, how descriptive the messages are, and how well the individual can take their own measurements.
A side note, I just did one with AM, and we ended up having to do Video, because we were just not able to adequately communicate in email and photo.

to Nishants point, it’s definitely well regarded as I have instep issues but the opposite where I need more room not less. But again, I can only hold PC to account based on how explicitly clear of what my issue is, how often and when it happens, what mods it happens with and which is doesn’t. The Mod, the last, then material all play a role here, and while spending $1800 is a lot to get a custom shoe that doesn’t fit, I try to hold myself as accountable by ensuring I’m providing these details, as to whether it’s a mod with a tall top line, something in suede, in crust v aniline. Then I know he has every single piece of info I have, and if there’s still uncertainty about what is needed, I’d personally step away and just wait until a trunk show can happen again.

I know this was a bit long winded, but just going throw 2 custom last with 2 different makers, that’s my personal take on the experience and what’s my responsibility and what’s the makers responsibility. Not taking away or discounting anyone else’s, just sharing mine to expand the convo a bit.
Appreciate you sharing your insights. PC got on video with me for the initial sizing and then for the two pairs of trial shoes. He was very responsive and engaged. We discussed the instep in depth, so I guess I should now do a follow up with the completed shoes. I'd like to get PCs view on the instep.

DL120

Reaction score
Appreciate you sharing your insights. PC got on video with me for the initial sizing and then for the two pairs of trial shoes. He was very responsive and engaged. We discussed the instep in depth, so I guess I should now do a follow up with the completed shoes. I'd like to get PCs view on the instep.
Yeah I think it’s a good follow up. There’s a minimal gap at the top eyelet which is better than nothing. But I think there could be a few options without fully relasting the shoe. They can insert 1-2 mm full insole, arch piece or heel pad that’ll eat up just enough space to snug up the instep and vamp if necessary.

I have some for other makers.
22380067-9E34-42DD-8160-E4E41FB093A0.jpeg

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tY3M7xy.jpg
Rwsy1am.jpg

Haven't worn nice shoes in months due to covid, but taking a trip out for some errands with the wife today and decided it had been too damn long since I've worn these lovely shoes. I've missed them! It's too hot out, so had to show off some ankle and go sockless.

DL120

Reaction score
tY3M7xy.jpg
Rwsy1am.jpg

Haven't worn nice shoes in months due to covid, but taking a trip out for some errands with the wife today and decided it had been too damn long since I've worn these lovely shoes. I've missed them! It's too hot out, so had to show off some ankle and go sockless.
Finally! I missed these. Damn it. I just ordered another mto and was planning on the u wing cap Adelaide in natty but went a little different ?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you kind sir! But it is shrunken calfskin. ??

Oh weird! I didn't know they had that. Still, those are absolutely superb. What a great makeup. I love the 180 norvegese.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics