• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you all think about this. I received my first St. Crispin's and there is a small scratch in the leather. It is hard to see in a photo, but it is more noticeable in person. It is not super serious, but it is annoying that it is right on the top of the toe cap.
STC.jpeg
STC2.jpg

Last edited:

Berto1

Reaction score
What do you all think about this. I received my first St. Crispin's and there is a small scratch in the leather. It is hard to see in a photo, but it is more noticeable in person. It is not super serious, but it is annoying that it is right on the top of the toe cap. View attachment 1424413 View attachment 1424427
To my taste it’s disappointing.

Not acceptable for a shoe that is over 1.400€

sforum1

Reaction score
What do you all think about this. I received my first St. Crispin's and there is a small scratch in the leather. It is hard to see in a photo, but it is more noticeable in person. It is not super serious, but it is annoying that it is right on the top of the toe cap. View attachment 1424413 View attachment 1424427
The shoes look like they've been worn. Why didn't you take the pic when they were new out of the box? Or they came this way?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have to agree with @Berto1, I would be disappointed. Like you said, it is not serious. Of course, it doesn't or wouldn't have an affect on the shoe in any way.

Saying that, it's the principle of not disclosing the flaw upon inspection. It would be a bit of a let down.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Have you contacted stc and informed them of this scratch?

BomTrady

Reaction score
I agree with LThomsen.....why not simply contact Phillip, Ana or Christiana?

DL120

Reaction score
I agree with LThomsen.....why not simply contact Phillip, Ana or Christiana?
I assume it’s because the man was seeking validation of his concern from the group.
I’ll defer to my general rule of thumb here. If it’s serious enough that you’re bothered by it enough to engage the group to opine on it, no matter what we say I’d wager you’ll still be less than happy with it.if yes, then I’d just skip to the stepof requesting s replacement. No sense in trying to make yourself happy with something you know you’re not happy with. We can only share our opinion we can’t and rightfully so, cannot change your mind. ????

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume it’s because the man was seeking validation of his concern from the group.
I’ll defer to my general rule of thumb here. If it’s serious enough that you’re bothered by it enough to engage the group to opine on it, no matter what we say I’d wager you’ll still be less than happy with it.if yes, then I’d just skip to the stepof requesting s replacement. No sense in trying to make yourself happy with something you know you’re not happy with. We can only share our opinion we can’t and rightfully so, cannot change your mind. ????

I would suggest the unsatisfied feeling has been substantiated by the group. In essence, we may have exacerbated that discontent ?.

I am hoping someone could find just cause to be more supportive. Usually I am pretty good at quelling the fire, and putting a positive spin on things. It wouldn't feel genuine on this occasion if I did though.

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
My question is still if the defect was so obvious and annoying and unacceptable to the op, as soon as he got them out of their box and noticed this, why didn’t he pause, come here with pics to ask the questions he’s asking now, go back to the shoemaker to ask about it and express his dissatisfaction and see if they would reach a resolution together, but instead he decides to proceed with wearing them as if nothing is going on and then when the shoes are all used up and perhaps with a lot more serious defects now being a used pair, he decides he is not happy with them? Does not make sense to me. Plus, let’s just say that Philip was willing to take the shoes back, is it really his duty to take back a used pair because there is a scratch on them? And if the answer is that the op did not notice the scratch upon taking the shoes out of the box and that’s why he wore them as if nothing was happening, then how does he know that the scratch was there from the beginning? I find scratches on my shoes all the time while polishing them and have no idea how they got there. But then I do because these are shoes and I walk in them.

Why don’t you show us a pic of the whole shoe, including the outsoles? Maybe I’m wrong in my assumptions that the shoes have been used.

DL120

Reaction score
I would suggest the unsatisfied feeling has been substantiated by the group. In essence, we may have exacerbated that discontent ?.

I am hoping someone could find just cause to be more supportive. Usually I am pretty good at quelling the fire, and putting a positive spin on things. It wouldn't feel genuine on this occasion if I did though.
I know. I’m not minimizing the concerns. Rather addressing the other member who asked why he doesn’t just go right to Philip or Ana. I know folks usually look to peers for validation if their concern before going to the maker. My point is if the OP was that concerned, even if we were to disagree and say no it’s fine (not saying that’s the case), the OP would still always kind of feel less than thrilled with them.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes look like they've been worn. Why didn't you take the pic when they were new out of the box? Or they came this way?
I opened them up in my dark bedroom and especially cause they are black I did not notice. I also, did not thoroughly inspect them because I thought for sure they would be immaculate at this price point. I was very eager to try them on cause I wanted to see how they fit. It was not til I went to mirror shine them that I noticed immediately. And now I can't not notice it.

My question is still if the defect was so obvious and annoying and unacceptable to the op, as soon as he got them out of their box and noticed this, why didn’t he pause, come here with pics to ask the questions he’s asking now, go back to the shoemaker to ask about it and express his dissatisfaction and see if they would reach a resolution together, but instead he decides to proceed with wearing them as if nothing is going on and then when the shoes are all used up and perhaps with a lot more serious defects now being a used pair, he decides he is not happy with them? Does not make sense to me. Plus, let’s just say that Philip was willing to take the shoes back, is it really his duty to take back a used pair because there is a scratch on them? And if the answer is that the op did not notice the scratch upon taking the shoes out of the box and that’s why he wore them as if nothing was happening, then how does he know that the scratch was there from the beginning? I find scratches on my shoes all the time while polishing them and have no idea how they got there. But then I do because these are shoes and I walk in them.

Why don’t you show us a pic of the whole shoe, including the outsoles? Maybe I’m wrong in my assumptions that the shoes have been used.
I would not say they are used as in worn multiple times, but I certainly did try them on. Sure If I listed these on eBay, I would mark them as used. But I am certain that the scratch was there before I wore them, because this is crust leather and it is below the finish. That means the imperfection is on the skin itself, and then they applied the finish over it.

To everyone else, Yes I contacted them, but I wanted to see if this is "normal" from them since this is my first pair. I am obviously justified in my dissatisfaction.

It is basically because it is on the toe cap that I am unsatisfied. I am not super picky. If it was anywhere else on the shoe I would not care.

BomTrady

Reaction score
'Good point...but maybe there's another rule of thumb to consider here, which is that if you have to seek validation of your concern, then possibly it's so insuffieciently serious to you that it does not warrant further action. And if your issue was of consequential concern, you'd immediately present it to someone who either caused it or who is, at least, able to address it. If the former, let it go, if the latter, email StC - a rare company with an owner with whom any of us can communicate directly. Our paths differ, our conclusions are about the same.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opened them up in my dark bedroom and especially cause they are black I did not notice. I also, did not thoroughly inspect them because I thought for sure they would be immaculate at this price point. I was very eager to try them on cause I wanted to see how they fit. It was not til I went to mirror shine them that I noticed immediately. And now I can't not notice it.

I would not say they are used as in worn multiple times, but I certainly did try them on. Sure If I listed these on eBay, I would mark them as used. But I am certain that the scratch was there before I wore them, because this is crust leather and it is below the finish. That means the imperfection is on the skin itself, and then they applied the finish over it.

To everyone else, Yes I contacted them, but I wanted to see if this is "normal" from them since this is my first pair. I am obviously justified in my dissatisfaction.

It is basically because it is on the toe cap that I am unsatisfied. I am not super picky. If it was anywhere else on the shoe I would not care.

I do not believe it is normal, although I do recall receiving a pair that had a similar scratch. Unlike yourself though, it was near the counter.

I am curious to hear what the response will be. Although now unsightly, because it presents no structural damage they may respond with a wear it & forget it equivalent.

BomTrady

Reaction score

From my experience, this is not normal at all. I just rec'd four pairs within the last four weeks, posted them here someplace, and all of them arrived in perfect pristine condition. I am curious about the resolution, so please keep us posted on how this works out with StC, if you don't mind.

Crust leather is a weird animal, so I can see you missing that scratch. When I do MTO, I roll right past crust with ease since there are so many other leathers from which to choose. Is this a MTO? Also, Maybe you can show pictures of the entire shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics