• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BomTrady

Reaction score
When ordering from StC, should USA based customers expect to receive a VAT bill? Haven't had a shoe delivered from overseas in a number of years so I couldn't remember. Can I expect a bill when they are delivered?
When you get the DHL number, sign up for the text notifications and track your progress through customs and wait to see if you get that email that starts off with something exciting like "your order is ready for delivery", but ends with a F&@##ing link for you to pay duties and a fee to DHL before you get your goods -- what you thought was good news turned out to be nothing more than a hostage note.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you get the DHL number, sign up for the text notifications and track your progress through customs and wait to see if you get that email that starts off with something exciting like "your order is ready for delivery", but ends with a F&@##ing link for you to pay duties and a fee to DHL before you get your goods -- what you thought was good news turned out to be nothing more than a hostage note.
So if my shoes are over $800 am I guaranteed to have to pay the import duty, or do they miss it sometimes?

sforum1

Reaction score
So if my shoes are over $800 am I guaranteed to have to pay the import duty, or do they miss it sometimes?
The only way they would miss it is if the seller put a smaller amount on the invoice. Namely less than $800.

My experience is that sometimes they confuse dollars with euros, but that's a good thing since 1EUR > 1USD.
But it could be a bad thing if you are dealing with a different currency. So watch out for that.

I think both scenarios happened to me.

BomTrady

Reaction score
They do miss sometimes. I had a SC miss only once, though ,I believe. But you definitely can get lucky.

sforum1

Reaction score
They do miss sometimes. I had a SC miss only once, though ,I believe. But you definitely can get lucky.
You mean on the shipping invoice they had it marked as $1200 and DHL went ahead and delivered to you without asking you to pay anything? Hard to believe. Allow me to not believe this.

Here is what's going on:
  1. The seller has to declare the value of the package. This you cannot skip. You HAVE TO declare a value. You HAVE TO give a number. True or false.
  2. If the declared value is >$800 the recipient pays tax
  3. If the declared value is <$800 they don't
Simple. Does anyone disagree with the above?

And I gave a specific example of how I had to pay and I did not. Seller indicated €780 (this is actually what I paid) but DHL read $780. So I did not pay even though 780eur was something like $900 at the time.

Here is another example when I had to pay and I didn't. Shoes cost $1000 but the seller wrote $600 on the invoice, for obvious reasons.

Simple. I don't think there is any mystery here. So effectively the question is whether the seller will provide the actual price or intentionally something lower. Or let's call it 'accidentally' something lower. That's all it comes down to. So when you say you 'got lucky', you mean the seller accidentally put a lower price on the package.

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean on the shipping invoice they had it marked as $1200 and DHL went ahead and delivered to you without asking you to pay anything? Hard to believe. Allow me to not believe this.

Here is what's going on:
  1. The seller has to declare the value of the package. This you cannot skip. You HAVE TO declare a value. You HAVE TO give a number. True or false.

And I gave a specific example of how I had to pay and I did not. Seller indicated €780 (this is actually what I paid) but DHL read $780. So I did not pay even though 780eur was something like $900 at the time.

Here is another example when I had to pay and I didn't. Shoes cost $1000 but the seller wrote $600 on the invoice, for obvious reasons.

Simple. I don't think there is any mystery here. So effectively the question is whether the seller will provide the actual price or intentionally something lower. Or let's call it 'accidentally' something lower. That's all it comes down to. So when you say you 'got lucky', you mean the seller accidentally put a lower price on the package.

You believe DHL is batting 1.000 when reading shipping invoices?

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is what's going on:

I've also been lucky with DHL on orders over 800usd...for whatever reason. But I try to avoid them when ever possible.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Somethings I learned very quickly - leather in natural light vs leather in darker light

Boots makeup from Skoaktiebogalet CRU606/BCK078

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 11.38.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 10.39.39 PM.png

FlowableFill

Reaction score
So i got my first pair of St. Crispin's today. Is creasing like this common with the crust leather? I understand all shoes will have creasing but having creases running longitudinally down the shoe seems odd to me. The shoes fit great, this is the only issue I have with them.

20200626_142706.jpg

sforum1

Reaction score
So i got my first pair of St. Crispin's today. Is creasing like this common with the crust leather? I understand all shoes will have creasing but having creases running longitudinally down the shoe seems odd to me. The shoes fit great, this is the only issue I have with them.

View attachment 1413278
I think this is characteristic of St Crispins. It's almost as if they apply some type of wax all over the shoe which breaks up like this over time creating the effect shown in the picture. You don't see that with any of the other brands using crust leather, only St Crispins. Someone else can explain better what exactly this is but I'm sure they are doing this intentionally.

FlowableFill

Reaction score
I think this is characteristic of St Crispins. It's almost as if they apply some type of wax all over the shoe which breaks up like this over time creating the effect shown in the picture. You don't see that with any of the other brands using crust leather, only St Crispins. Someone else can explain better what exactly this is but I'm sure they are doing this intentionally.

Interesting. If it's intentional I'll have to wear them more and see how they age. Thanks for the information.

sforum1

Reaction score
Interesting. If it's intentional I'll have to wear them more and see how they age. Thanks for the information.
St Crispin's shoes age like no other, in a very distinctive way. There is no way you can mistake St Crispin's aged leather with another brand. At least this has been my experience, whether it's my own shoes or by looking at others' pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads