• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrbrioni

Reaction score
To my delightful surprise, I stumbled over all these goodies that arrived today via DHL. All the StCs were delivered in under 4 weeks, as promised. Maybe I was just lucky, though. I was trying to fill a gap in my shoe wardrobe so all of these have some kind of full rubber/toppy sole. I feel like I needed some summer bad weather shoes. The loafers are Stefano Bemers with full leather soles that slipped in the photo that were ordered a long time ago. View attachment 1410326

Details on that grain single monk please...are those black or navy? do you have any other photos of them?

Beautiful haul.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Had a call with Phillip Car this morning regarding the fit of the trial pair that i shared photos of a couple of days ago. He was keen to know how the shoes felt. I told him how these shoes are definitely an improvement over the pair I got off ebay, but there are still issues.

We discussed the movement in the heel, the laces being all the way tight, and my concern that the outside of the pinky toe felt just a little too tight. He wanted to check on length and we concluded that was fine, He took pictures and said the next step is to send another trial pair that addresses the issues we covered; which I did not expect.

Phillip genuinely wants to get the best fit possible. He talked about how the cyber-fitting is still new to them and that they are learning a lot. I really appreciate the openness and desire to give me the best experience. For that I'm quite happy to pay a premium.

Below are some pictures that I took during the fitting with some commentary:

View attachment 1396671

I showed Phillip the creasing, whichI felt was excessive. He said the inside crease was too much and that they would reduce the room above my foot here.

View attachment 1396672

The vamp is too high for my foot by quite a lot as you can see. With the laces tight I can fit my pinky in to the second knuckle without forcing it

View attachment 1396673

The outside toe is where I find other shoes tend to rub -- often because my foot is moving back and forwards in the shoe. I pointed this out. I don't think this is a big issue if the shoe grips the rest of my foot.

View attachment 1396674
Biggish gap on the side. You cannot see the heal slip, but this part of the shoe needs to be tighter for me.
A second trail pair arrived a couple of days ago and the fit is dramatically better. There is a picture of the new trial pair at the end of this post.

Had another discussion with Phillip this morning where we discussed some minor tweaks to the last. I am extremely happy with this trial process and the interactions with Phillip. It gives me a lot of confidence that the end product is going to be fantastic.

Talking of which, the spec for my first shoes on the new last is as follows:
- Mod 646, diamond toe oxfords, hand stitched vamp, laces and heel.
- Black Russian calf
- Natural apron stitching
- leather sole with toe taps

Please share your experience on:
- having a monogram added
- choosing between Maple or Cherry shoe trees

IMG_1666.jpeg

Last edited:

golfinz

Reaction score
Long story, but due to the uncertainty of the pandemic, my fiance and I have decided to have a 'civil wedding.' We are 35, been together for 7.5 years, engaged 2.5 and we want to get married on our terms and on our time. We started planning in Jan/Feb, but stopped as things become less certain with the world. Our plan is to get married at the end of July/early Aug and then on our 1 year wedding anniversary, throw a reception for friends and family.

As such, I've started to look for my wedding attire. Her dress will not be something too formal, so I was planning on wearing a navy suit (likely something from SS since there isn't enough time for custom). For the shoes, I want something special. I'm considering the following:

OR

Thoughts on either? I know this is the SC appreciation thread but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that SC owners also have some G&G. Is the 140FC too 'bland' for my first, and likely only, pair of SC?

Both are in stock. I have small feet so finding my size at a large retailer is not likely and I don't have time to wait for a custom/MTO shoe.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Thoughts on either? I know this is the SC appreciation thread but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that SC owners also have some G&G. Is the 140FC too 'bland' for my first, and likely only, pair of SC?

Both are in stock. I have small feet so finding my size at a large retailer is not likely and I don't have time to wait for a custom/MTO shoe.

I am always gonna be biased - I find the cherry alittle too red for my liking, I dont get much use out of red tone shoes. Plus at the end of the day, it is still a slightly more refined Adelaide thats all.

You can never go wrong with the 104, they also come with no medallion. The long wingzzz on the side will pop! And whenever i put my StC on, i feel invincible lol!

Nevertheless, congrats on the BIG day, therefore my vote goes to the transylvania tank!

papado

Reaction score

They are both great brands and make great shoes, but to echo the points above the vintage cherry will be a stark contrast to your navy ensemble. I know people have good luck MTO'ing them in the vintage rioja or a darker burgundy which is one of my favorite combinations (Navy+oxblood).

I think the sleek black shoes will work with the suit and also be versatile should you need to dress up for other occasions in the future (someone else's wedding, job interview, funeral to name the usual suspects).

golfinz

Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied! I'm leaning SC - if I can learn to polish them properly, I think they will pop even more! Would still love some feedback on this particular last/combo/etc. I wear a uk5.5 so finding this size in stock is very difficult - feel lucky that they have this in stock.

Regarding sizing, Skoaktiebolate suggests taking the same size in this last as one does with Carmina's Rain last. I wear a uk6 in Carmina's Simpson and uk5.5 in Enzo Bonafe 74945 last. Thinking the 5.5 would be the best bet.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long story, but due to the uncertainty of the pandemic, my fiance and I have decided to have a 'civil wedding.' We are 35, been together for 7.5 years, engaged 2.5 and we want to get married on our terms and on our time. We started planning in Jan/Feb, but stopped as things become less certain with the world. Our plan is to get married at the end of July/early Aug and then on our 1 year wedding anniversary, throw a reception for friends and family.

As such, I've started to look for my wedding attire. Her dress will not be something too formal, so I was planning on wearing a navy suit (likely something from SS since there isn't enough time for custom). For the shoes, I want something special. I'm considering the following:

OR

Congratulations! Big step to take and you have two great options in which to select.

As @papado, @Encore, @ryanluo already mentioned StC would make the better choice. For all the reasons they have provided. I would add if you take the construction method into consideration, they are the overall better value.

I would echo the sizing advice. Same size as Carmina Rain, half size down from Simpson. So 5.5UK sounds like it's the best size.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied! I'm leaning SC - if I can learn to polish them properly, I think they will pop even more! Would still love some feedback on this particular last/combo/etc. I wear a uk5.5 so finding this size in stock is very difficult - feel lucky that they have this in stock.

Regarding sizing, Skoaktiebolate suggests taking the same size in this last as one does with Carmina's Rain last. I wear a uk6 in Carmina's Simpson and uk5.5 in Enzo Bonafe 74945 last. Thinking the 5.5 would be the best bet.

The Austerity is a good choice. My only trepidation regarding this makeup is the medallion. I would have selected a plain toe. The medallion just adds that bit of informality.
Sans medallion would serve you across a broader spectrum of situations in which to use the shoes.

Saying that, it's still a good choice. Just a personal preference to do it without the medallion.

golfinz

Reaction score
The Austerity is a good choice. My only trepidation regarding this makeup is the medallion. I would have selected a plain toe. The medallion just adds that bit of informality.
Sans medallion would serve you across a broader spectrum of situations in which to use the shoes.

Saying that, it's still a good choice. Just a personal preference to do it without the medallion.

I prefer it sans medallion but I'm at a cross-roads due to timing and sizing. That said, I do like this shoe...a lot!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer it sans medallion but I'm at a cross-roads due to timing and sizing. That said, I do like this shoe...a lot!

Great shoe from one of the best shoe companies. Would be an excellent choice!

You definitely want to pick them up sooner rather than later. Only so you have ample time to break them in. You don't want to be dancing in some stiff pair of shoes. Additionally, you can practice up how they turn out after you shine them up.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Details on that grain single monk please...are those black or navy? do you have any other photos of them?

Beautiful haul.
Yes, they are navy. I'll post s few more of those tomorrow and the details. Too bad I have no place go. hahaha And thank you. StC does a great job.

golfinz

Reaction score
When ordering from StC, should USA based customers expect to receive a VAT bill? Haven't had a shoe delivered from overseas in a number of years so I couldn't remember. Can I expect a bill when they are delivered?

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't charge VAT to US customers. You may get hit with a customs duty when your shoes enter the US though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads