• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing is the foot is one of the most architecturally complex forms in nature. Simple explanations are appropriate for simple problems and simpler (all too often incorrect) solutions--case in point.

God (and the devil) is in the details...always.

As is life really. ??

Mallaig

Reaction score
Had a call with Phillip Car this morning regarding the fit of the trial pair that i shared photos of a couple of days ago. He was keen to know how the shoes felt. I told him how these shoes are definitely an improvement over the pair I got off ebay, but there are still issues.

We discussed the movement in the heel, the laces being all the way tight, and my concern that the outside of the pinky toe felt just a little too tight. He wanted to check on length and we concluded that was fine, He took pictures and said the next step is to send another trial pair that addresses the issues we covered; which I did not expect.

Phillip genuinely wants to get the best fit possible. He talked about how the cyber-fitting is still new to them and that they are learning a lot. I really appreciate the openness and desire to give me the best experience. For that I'm quite happy to pay a premium.

Below are some pictures that I took during the fitting with some commentary:

IMG_1462.jpeg

I showed Phillip the creasing, whichI felt was excessive. He said the inside crease was too much and that they would reduce the room above my foot here.

IMG_1463.jpeg

The vamp is too high for my foot by quite a lot as you can see. With the laces tight I can fit my pinky in to the second knuckle without forcing it

IMG_1464.jpeg

The outside toe is where I find other shoes tend to rub -- often because my foot is moving back and forwards in the shoe. I pointed this out. I don't think this is a big issue if the shoe grips the rest of my foot.

IMG_1465.jpeg

Biggish gap on the side. You cannot see the heal slip, but this part of the shoe needs to be tighter for me.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a call with Phillip Car this morning regarding the fit of the trial pair that i shared photos of a couple of days ago. He was keen to know how the shoes felt. I told him how these shoes are definitely an improvement over the pair I got off ebay, but there are still issues.

We discussed the movement in the heel, the laces being all the way tight, and my concern that the outside of the pinky toe felt just a little too tight. He wanted to check on length and we concluded that was fine, He took pictures and said the next step is to send another trial pair that addresses the issues we covered; which I did not expect.

Phillip genuinely wants to get the best fit possible. He talked about how the cyber-fitting is still new to them and that they are learning a lot. I really appreciate the openness and desire to give me the best experience. For that I'm quite happy to pay a premium.

View attachment 1396671

I showed Phillip the creasing, whichI felt was excessive. He said the inside crease was too much and that they would reduce the room above my foot here.

View attachment 1396672

The vamp is too high for my foot by quite a lot as you can see. With the laces tight I can fit my pinky in to the second knuckle without forcing it

View attachment 1396673

The outside toe is where I find other shoes tend to rub -- often because my foot is moving back and forwards in the shoe. I pointed this out. I don't think this is a big issue if the shoe grips the rest of my foot.

View attachment 1396674
Biggish gap on the side. You cannot see the heal slip, but this part of the shoe needs to be tighter for me.

Thank you for sharing your StC journey with us. I agree that Philip wants to provide the best possible fit that they can. I am sure he would extend those same courtesies to @Patrick1053, and anyone else essentially serving as Guinea pigs whilst StC sorts through the expansion of their business.

As many have mentioned, myself included, nothing beats seeing the maker personally. Saying that, through a little trial, error, and patience, I think you can obtain a really nice fit. ??

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1396671

View attachment 1396672

View attachment 1396673

View attachment 1396674
That is funny. All the problems you are having are the same problems I have.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question, how would you pair this pony loafer with?

I bought it probably a year ago, I never worn it as I don't know how I should pair it up with. I end up putting it in the B&S but just want to know how you guys will wear it.

To my eyes, those are the sort of thing you rock if you are comfortable with the Tom Ford aesthetic of a white shirt worn open with black trousers.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i recieved a reply from Philip about my second trial shoe today. Here it is.

"We will make the following adjustments to your personal last no. 1.069:

- lower the instep area by 4mm
- rasp off the arch to give you more support and try to get rid of the topline bending outside
- add 2-3mm at the small toe area

Still, I want to point out the following.
- Like said in the first email, this is not Bespoke, this is a personal last without fitting guarantees because the final pair will be different than
the trial shoes because you will break them in.
- Shoes will always have creases because you have to bend your foot at some point. Of course if there is too less room the shoes will be tight and if there is too much room the folds will be too big and dig into your foot.

Please advise how to to proceed:
- go for the final pair
- make another trial shoe (costs: € 150 plus shipping, these costs will not be deducted from the final pair).

I am looking forward to hearing from you,
thank you"

What do you think I should do? I would hate to waste the time and money on another trial.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve? A perfect fitting pair of shoes? I frankly don't think that's possible even for first pair of bespoke shoes.

If you are not looking for a "perfect" fit, but something that fits you better than normal RTW per say, I think you need to do it step by step, knowing that getting the fit perfect is not easy, manage your expectation. If you feel comfident with the adjustment he suggested, go with it. Otherwise, make another trial or just give up.

Did you post this private conversation with his consent?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads