• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mallaig

Reaction score
^^ Gents, I am no authority on menswear but in my little book, rules are meant to be broken and everything except a Plain Captoe Black Oxford can be dressed in a casual manner.

so I quite agree with @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes & @Mallaig .. you can’t go wrong with this leather :)
Love the spirited discussion. My work world is very casual; lots of hoodies and t-shirts. I decided that I preferred wearing nice shirts and watches along with my torn denim jeans. Now I've added nice shoes to that equation; in large part thanks to the active members on this site. I don't personally differentiate between oxfords or derbies. As long as they look good with jeans, I'm all for it. And I even wear plain captoe black oxfords with jeans. :p

At the moment, even wearing my shoes is a bit of a fantasy. I find myself limited to flip-flops and golf shoes. Looking forward to being able to actually go back to the office.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the spirited discussion. My work world is very casual; lots of hoodies and t-shirts. I decided that I preferred wearing nice shirts and watches along with my torn denim jeans. Now I've added nice shoes to that equation; in large part thanks to the active members on this site. I don't personally differentiate between oxfords or derbies. As long as they look good with jeans, I'm all for it. And I even wear plain captoe black oxfords with jeans. :p

At the moment, even wearing my shoes is a bit of a fantasy. I find myself limited to flip-flops and golf shoes. Looking forward to being able to actually go back to the office.
that is quite interesting. Nice shirt nice watch nice shoes, all with jeans. But I have one for you. I don't own a pair of jeans and I only have one pair of athletic shoes for work outs. (No I am not an Octogenarian)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think sneakers + suit has a higher chance of success than oxfords with jeans. Sneakers with a suit depends on your lifestyle, context, and the exact type of clothes you're wearing. Oxfords with jeans, on the other hand, always looks :confused2:

View attachment 1393302
View attachment 1393308
View attachment 1393309

Not a fan of these looks with sneakers. I just feel like you made the effort of having your suit at the ready, pressed, and just couldn't be bothered with proper footwear.
Beauty of styles and outfits is there are many to satiate different tastes ??.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My friend, you are purchasing from one of the top shoemakers. You can wear banana printed pajamas and those StCs will shine like a diamond ??.
Enjoy wearing them, when you are able to of course.

Mallaig

Reaction score
that is quite interesting. Nice shirt nice watch nice shoes, all with jeans. But I have one for you. I don't own a pair of jeans and I only have one pair of athletic shoes for work outs. (No I am not an Octogenarian)
You are a rarity, sir. There must be 30 pairs hanging in my closet. My wife feels compelled to keep buying them (why do men's jeans have fancy embroidery on the back pockets?) I only wear a few of them, the rest just sit there. Dear Lord, I hope this is not what happens to my shoe collection.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are a rarity, sir. There must be 30 pairs hanging in my closet. My wife feels compelled to keep buying them (why do men's jeans have fancy embroidery on the back pockets?) I only wear a few of them, the rest just sit there. Dear Lord, I hope this is not what happens to my shoe collection.

After 30 pairs of shoes, I can tell you that it will happen ?.

LThomsen

Reaction score

What brand jeans are you wearing with what brand of dress shoes?

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always go LOL when ‘tradition’ is used to justify how we dress up in this day and age when billionaires wear a Tee and the richest and possibly the smartest man on the planet wears a Casio with every piece of clothing.

Living in the 18th and 19th century was no fun.. we can’t use tradition today to take away voting rights or endorse racism .. why would I want to dress how the colonizing rich white men of 19th century used to dress...

Style is personal and it must treated that way. My sense of personal style is not open to anyone’s judgement which is why many SF threads critiquing everyone’s full getups is a thing of pure humor for me.

Cheers and I promise to post my EG Chelsea w/ jeans soon ..

As strawman arguments go, that's one of the more sillier ones I've seen. Someone trying to explain to you that tradition and basic fashion competency suggest that oxfords don't work with jeans is somehow up there with discussions about voting rights, racism and dressing like a 'colonizing rich white man'?

E. coli

Reaction score

Indeed, I also like and appreciate the spirited discussion and have a similar approach for a mixture of business formal apparel,footwear and watches but there is a line I won’t cross i.e. wearing a pair of StC with a pair of Reigning Champ sweatpants and Rose Gold Zenith Striking 10th with a gator strap on the wrist ?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was this thread that I mentioned I had resorted to hiding some shoes in my kid's closets.

How do Brio toys, toy vacuums, kid's vest, and men's shoes fit together? Only when traitor children and curious wives force you into it.. That's how!
20200522_170805.jpg
20200522_170901.jpg
20200522_172543.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, I also like and appreciate the spirited discussion and have a similar approach for a mixture of business formal apparel,footwear and watches but there is a line I won’t cross i.e. wearing a pair of StC with a pair of Reigning Champ sweatpants and Rose Gold Zenith Striking 10th with a gator strap on the wrist ?

Sounds like typical fashion for your top rated rap artist.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of this reminds me of this discussions we've had on this board on how to wear a sport coat with jeans.

In the real world, lots of guys wear sport coats with jeans because they like the look of a tailored jacket, but they work in a casual environment where they don't want to look overly dressed up. Many also don't know the difference between a suit jacket and a sport coat. So in real life, you often see guys in suit jackets and jeans. This is especially true in night clubs, where some guys "dress up" cause they're going out.

Most of the time, I think guys are better off just swapping the jeans out for tailored trousers. But assuming they can't or don't want to do that, then they should pay attention to the finer points on the jacket. A sport coat can work with a pair of jeans if it's a very rustic, casual sport coat. Some examples of members here who I think wear this combo well:

tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co6_500.jpg

tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co2_r1_1280.jpg

97560723_115021129994100_4134467574580005716_n.jpg

tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co1_r1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co3_r1_540.png

tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co8_r1_1280-819x1024.png

Notice the shoes here as well. Brown, textured, casual (suede chukkas, boots, loafers, etc). Also no tie, often not even a pocket square, to keep it casual.

When you scale everything back like this, you make it an easier gap to bridge between the formality of your "dress" clothing and the casualness of jeans. Otherwise, you look like one of these guys:

6ab4ce00bbbfa0376fc94f8d1bcd9e64.jpg

It's fine, of course, to say you don't care and you want to dress however you'd like. I'm only saying that "nice watch, fancy shoes, and nice shirt" with jeans is often not a very good look unless you pay attention to the nuances.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you told me that!!! It is even more hilarious to see them in the actual hiding spot!

You don't even want to see how many are hiding behind their winter clothes ?. There was a strategically placed Buy Buy Baby bag in front of these boxes, so they are aren't out in the open.

Which fortunately she's none the wiser as to why I always volunteer to sort out their clothes.

Last edited:

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, your name is awesome ??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads