• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

willyto

Reaction score
At the office with my first pair of StC. Figured I’d try eBay for a pair just to see if I liked the last and construction before investing in a new pair.

Even pre-owned they were about the same as the C&J Whisky Shell Oxford MTO that I’m part of !!

The quality is breathtaking. They look, and feel, brand new. I am in awe

View attachment 1339497
I decided to do the same and I got a pair of Saint Crispin's x The Armoury brown cap toes. The quality is just outstanding, the last, the shapes, heels... amazing. They were advertised as 7,5UK but the shoe tree and sole says 7F and the tongue says
7 F 1/2.

I am not certain about what does that mean regarding sizing (A bit of help here would be appreciated) but the shoe fit with a V gap that looks like the one in black above on @DL120 .

Are the shoes 7 1/2 or the 1/2 in the tongue pad means something else? The outsole measurements and inside lenght is the same as some of my size 8 UK shoes so the shoes fit snug but comfortable, no pain at all. It's just the lacing area that could fit better. I am probably a best fit on the regular 8UK Saint Crispin's but for the price I couldn't resist.

Need to polish them but used conditioner and neutral shoe cream on the sole, they are barely used.

Fantastic purchase. They look beautiful. Wear them in good health. Unfortunately there is some bad news, this purchase will be the beginning of a very expensive journey. ?
I agree with that... I thought I was done when I tried Vass Budapest but now that I have handled Saint Crispin's they feel a bit superior. Both brands do great shoes and I love my Vass ones, they're just more rustic and have a different aesthetic.

Attachments

• 86969538_765412630650257_6708137324577816576_n.jpg
    86969538_765412630650257_6708137324577816576_n.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 119
  • 87171681_205876687198210_7734143185537990656_n.jpg
    87171681_205876687198210_7734143185537990656_n.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 136

DL120

Reaction score
I decided to do the same and I got a pair of Saint Crispin's x The Armoury brown cap toes. The quality is just outstanding, the last, the shapes, heels... amazing. They were advertised as 7,5UK but the shoe tree and sole says 7F and the tongue says
7 F 1/2.

I am not certain about what does that mean regarding sizing (A bit of help here would be appreciated) but the shoe fit with a V gap that looks like the one in black above on @DL120 .

Are the shoes 7 1/2 or the 1/2 in the tongue pad means something else? The outsole measurements and inside lenght is the same as some of my size 8 UK shoes so the shoes fit snug but comfortable, no pain at all. It's just the lacing area that could fit better. I am probably a best fit on the regular 8UK Saint Crispin's but for the price I couldn't resist.

Need to polish them but used conditioner and neutral shoe cream on the sole, they are barely used.

I agree with that... I thought I was done when I tried Vass Budapest but now that I have handled Saint Crispin's they feel a bit superior. Both brands do great shoes and I love my Vass ones, they're just more rustic and have a different aesthetic.
So a few things. First, a newer Oxford should, especially calfskin should not close all the way, and id say the gap on mine and yours is perfectly fine. The upper will stretch, the insole will break and within 4-5 wears it’ll close almost all the way. Still, the facing should have a slight gap towards the top eyelet for a perfectly fitting Oxford, which is difficult to find in rtw, but StC is about as close as you’ll get.

secondly, most consider StC a generous fit, so it wouldn’t surprise me that it’s a uk7, but the seller classified its fit as a uk7.5 (which is a very annoying practice IMHO- just list the damn size as on the shoe! ?)

that said, if you can share some better pics of the sole stamp, and the tongue pad I’m happy to weigh in.
Hope that helps!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 F 1/2.

Well typically the sole and tongue sizing is the same. The first number is your model #, then your leather and color followed by the sole. The F width is their standard width, or at least my sizing I should say. I think the standard across all their widths is Letter (E, F, G, H) 1/2. Sooo.. F 1/2 is standard.

I believe that the seller classified it as being a half size bigger due to the width, although that's standard. When you take your normal size, these feel very snug or supposed to.

Now as for the comparison with Vass. In my opinion, it is not even close. The entire make up of the shoe is a level above Vass, unfortunately so is the price haha.

It feels structurally more sound due to the pegged waist, and reinforced arch support. Leather feels more supple as well. Break in may be a bit harder but not murderous. Vass makes a top mid- level shoe. StC is in with the EGs, G&Gs of the world, although due to construction I would notch them ahead.

Enjoy them but head my warning to @Mallaig ?.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DL120

Reaction score
Well typically the sole and tongue sizing is the same. The first number is your model #, then your leather and color followed by the sole. The F width is their standard width, or at least my sizing I should say. I think the standard across all their widths is Letter (E, F, G, H) 1/2. Sooo.. F 1/2 is standard.

I believe that the seller classified it as being a half size bigger due to the width, although that's standard. When you take your normal size, these feel very snug or supposed to.

Now as for the comparison with Vass. In my opinion, it is not even close. The entire make up of the shoe is a level above Vass, unfortunately so is the price haha.

It feels structurally more sound due to the pegged waist, and reinforced arch support. Leather feels more supple as well. Break in may be a bit harder but not murderous. Vass makes a top mid- level shoe. StC is in with the EGs, G&Gs of the world, although due to construction I would notch them ahead.

Enjoy them but head my warning to @Mallaig ?.
Very much agree. StC is superior to vass, EG and GG. the fit, hand work, and finishing far exceed what you will get from vass, and is in another level compared what you get from a west end English brand. Somehow, even at $1875, my shell mto, still feels like a steal. Yet a pair of EG shell Galway cost $2600 and are not close to the end result of StC. Ok rant over lol.

as far as sizing, if the 1/2 is before the Width, it’s referring to the length, if it’s after, it’s not. Example 7F 1/2 is uk7 F, but 7 1/2 F is uk7.5F.
Hope that makes sense.

likenoother

Reaction score
as far as sizing, if the 1/2 is before the Width, it’s referring to the length, if it’s after, it’s not. Example 7F 1/2 is uk7 F, but 7 1/2 F is uk7.5F.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for sharing. Never heard that before and wondering. So what does 1/2 in this case (7F 1/2) mean?

DL120

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Never heard that before and wondering. So what does 1/2 in this case (7F 1/2) mean?
I’m honestly not 100% confident in what the second indication would mean. It’s not on all pairs, like some I have and have seen are just 7F and some are 7F 1/2.
I’m not sure if it indicates the pattern+last resulted in a half width increase, or a custom last adjustment to a half width increase. I know my MTO are just 7F. No 1/2 or any other number like this after the Width indicator. I’ll try to grab some photos of al mine later and share.

willyto

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information regarding sizing and Saint Crispin's in general. Very much appreciated. I will take better pictures of the shoes and the size details.

I was surprised to see that I could fit myself into the size 7F because I'm usually a 7,5 UK or 8UK on most shoes depending on the style and last.

I'm not sure if it would be wise to go on a rampage and purchase a few of the reamaining shoes that call to me in the same size from the same seller though.

The Suede single eyelet is already gone though. That style is very unique to StC.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Longtime admirer of this thread, first time actually posting. Acquired these over the past few years. Hoping this excercise with prove cathartic and ramp back new pickups in 2020. Unlikely, but will give it a shot. Happy holidays everyone.

Hi Buddy

What colour is the shoe in the middle? CRU 604 or 603...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads