1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I don't own any black St. Crispin's shoes but my experience is that the leather they use is as good as or better than any. I've owned EG, don't now, and own both G&G and Anthony Cleverly in addition to St. Crispin's and Santoni FAM limited editions. I'd put EG leather quality ahead of G&G but slightly behind St. Crispins and Cleverly.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Frankly, given what I do know about the brand, I find the suggestion that St. C. would opt to use lower quality leather on their black shoes quite preposterous.

And as for leather quality being inferior to EG? No freaking way. And I say that as a huge fan and multiple owner of EG shoes.

3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Please note that I have not suggested that they do use worse leather for black. Just saying I've heard that it is an existing practice for some makers, and in the context of cosmetic issues. I think it may be more of an issue with shell cordovan, where it is hard to find pieces appropriate for the lighter colors.

4. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I am sure about this weekend Karl said he is still polishing it. Are you picking up or ordering?

Thanks Roger! I will definitely post photos when I get them.

No too sure the colour number but it's burgundy but I ask for darker antique finish.

You'll know that feeling well.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

Ordering mate, so I will have a peek

6. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Andwhat about Santonis LE?

7. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

OP is saying what he thinks based on his observations and voicing his opinion. Try to develop a inclusive mindset and respectful of other peoples paradigms bcoz no matter how smart you think you are I know there are things that you don't know.

8. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

There is definitely more to leather quality judgement other than based on observations, ownership, reputation etc. To me these are all anecdotal unless one really works with the leathers or puts it under the microscope. I dont see anyone mentioning the reason as to why they think one is superior than the other...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Yeah, right. Nobody can have an opinion on leather unless they put it under a microscope. Sure. I buy that. Yep.

10. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

I want to offer you an apology yuppie.
    Not that it's mitigating, but I had just finished handing out some ass chewings to a couple of employees this morning just before my post.
    Their excuses for not following through on verbal and written instruction re: how to handle a problem we are dealing with for a client
    were so dismissive I was too hot under the collar to interact with another human being . . . . but I did it anyway.

I'm sorry my post was that harsh. You see what you see and interpret accordingly. Personally, I've never seen any St C leather or finish that
    could come close to substandard when compared to any other brand on planet earth. That's my experience and not yours.

I would like to ask one concession from you though. Could you reclassify my title to Prick from dickhead ?
    I'm being completely selfish with the request but it would jive with the nickname a couple of my employees are using.
    I can answer to one calling and not be conflicted between work and Styleforum titles that way. Ima stfu now.

1 person likes this.
  11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Wow, classyness. Accepted and I take back dickhead.

12. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

& the new job title ?

13. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Let's get this thread back on track...

I think my next pair of StC will be a boot/chukka or a double monk.

In terms of models...for the double monk its the 505...though if they came out with a style similar to the JLP chapel/G&G oakham I might go for this.

For a boot/chukka....well RogerP's #524's were def gorgeous...or the 401, 548, or 605.

Or maybe I should just kill 2 birds with one stone and go for the Model #585 double buckle boot or #541 double buckle chukka

I'm really liking the burgundy colors I've been seeing from StC recently too...so this color is in consideration. Or a blue...and I have to admit that aubergine wholecut I keep seeing is beautiful...I think they call the color viola.

Or of course a nice brown.

14. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

I have the 505 and luv it. the only other monk I would obsess over is if JLobb brought their Vale model back.
    585 is interesting, without some of the contrast stitching I've seen but cannot see a chukka being any better than RogerP's # 524 example. wholecut viola would be a keeper.

and add the 548 boot this fall

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The newest Jermyn is close enough to the Vale as to make no difference to me, and I believe you might still find those for sale.

St C monks are not for me, I find that I like their oxfords and single/two eyelet derbies, but not so much their boots and monks

16. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Senior member

I like the 116 chukka a lot.

It's a 3 eyelet and I grabbed mine in brown nubuck on a dainite.

amazing shoes.

17. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

That's the hardest part for me with so many shoes that I want.

18. chogall

chogall Senior member

By that logic, my $10 leather gloves from Home Depot must have very high quality as they survived more water and mud than any of my shoes.

p.s., JL leather is much softer wearing than EG or G&G IME, but that could be due to variations in construction.
    I dont think they opt to use any lower quality leather but it just happens that my black pair feels is more wrinkle prone and less lustrous than my other SC or other high-end shoes.

I did not make myself clear. Aside from the color variations, the leather on my black SC has more wrinkles/creasing at the side/quarter area, less lustrous, easier marked/dented than my other SC or other high-end shoes.

YMMV.

19. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Cheers my man, I am seriously digging those shoes. A wholecut is high on the list for my second pair.

20. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

I imagine you are Roger and rightfully so.

Question please, if I could use your eyes for a minute.
    Have you noticed the Marraca suede shoe i'm seeing on Leather Foot's site ?
    If so, what's your opinion ? The nap appears pretty short as if it's almost a distressed suede.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014