1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. wurger

wurger Senior member

I regret it everyday of my life! :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I find the black brown incredibly versatile. Wearing mine today.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

One thing that I like about black Saint Crispins is that it is crust leather and hand stained and polished. It gives it subtle variations where the polishes are darker and lighter and looks grey in some light. It is very interesting. It gives it that real handmade look to it that keeps even black interesting.

4. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Wow Mr. Pink, those are gorgeous!

5. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

good point and will be considered. maybe I was trying a little too hard.
    I am, however, pretty adamant about the suede / finished leather combination working.

6. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very very nice shoes.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Looks interesting but the leather quality is not high IME especially for black ones. And for some reason they don't take polish well.

8. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Almost ready, the anticipation is killing me.

[​IMG]

Image from Karl Sussman

9. wurger

wurger Senior member

You going to pick it up after this weekend? visiting Karl on sunday :happy:

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Tchoy - wow, what a spectacular shade! Copious pics when you get them, please, and congrats in advance.

11. patrickBOOTH

Curious about this statement. Why would color dictate leather quality? Also I've had no issues polishing. Any of my pictures can attest to that.

12. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I believe its commonly known that lower quality leather can be used for black shoes than for other colors, because as color gets lighter, imperfections become more apparent. This would be an acceptable practice for mere cosmetic imperfections that are concealed when dyed black. However, its anybody's guess how the manufacturers act in practice.

I like the idea that St Crispin's build shoes in the "handmade" manner, but judging from the many many pictures I've seen and the ones I've seen at Leffot, the leather generally does not look as nice to me as what you usually see in EG. It looks a bit crinklier or looser, EG sturdier and smoother. Individual shoes may vary.

13. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I disagree with the entire above statement, having owned both brands.

@tchoy - what color is that? burgundy?

14. patrickBOOTH

Appearance of imperfections, to me at least, is unrelated to quality. To me quality means durability and longevity. As far as I know there's no difference between the leather they use for different colors.

As for the difference between EG and G&G leathers they are different for sure. Not sure how that differs in terms of quality, but id assume the leather is different for workability and aesthetic reasons and not lower quality.

One thing I've always wondered was why many shoe manufacturers use such stuff leather as opposed to softer stuff. My logic can be way off on this, but I think of something really hard and stiff bring able to break easier than something soft and loose.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  15. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

So do I but will take it a step further to label it woefully uneducated through first hand experience & yes, I do own both brands.

16. patrickBOOTH

I don't think it's absurd, just an observation. Fact is nobody here can really claim to be an authority on it as we aren't shoemakers or furthermore employees of Saint Crispins.

17. archetypal_yuppie

So you guys all disagree with this?

"I believe its commonly known that lower quality leather can be used for black shoes than for other colors, because as color gets lighter, imperfections become more apparent."

I don't know if it was DWFII or other, but I've heard it multiple times here.

I suppose it is possible to do so (disagree with the statement) if you exclude cosmetic imperfections as a component of quality, but that seems pretty ridiculous. What a leather looks like is definitely a component of quality in shoes. Leathers are rejected based not only on thickness/pliability etc, but also based on what they look like.

As far as owning STC's and therefore being a way superior judge of what the leather LOOKS like, that's kind of silly. I've seen plenty of EGs and StC's and having them on my feet when I look at them doesn't change what my eyes are seeing. You're free to disagree, but that remains my interpretation of what I've seen.

You're saying this nonsense in response to something as benign as my statement:
    "...judging from the many many pictures I've seen and the ones I've seen at Leffot, the leather generally does not look as nice to me as what you usually see in EG. It looks a bit crinklier or looser, EG sturdier and smoother. Individual shoes may vary."

Notice how clear I am in saying that that is how it looks to me.

Is your self worth so tied to your shoes that you are touchy about any criticism or opinion of your favorite shoes? Dickhead.

P.S. I am a potential StC customer, if and when any of my current rotation is replaced. Likely to try StC and Vass.

18. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

This was what I was disagreeing with...

19. archetypal_yuppie

I suspected as much. Maybe shouldnt have written:

But anyway, you are disagreeing with what I think the leather looks like. Noted and fair enough.

20. cgo

cgo Senior member

ah....the wait