St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Need some sizing advice - I normally wear an 8.5D US. For SC, would you guys recommend a 7.5F UK?

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

sounds about right in price and wait times.

3. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

A tad cheaper than what I pay. If you are in the US, you could be hit with stiff import taxes though.

4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

jerrybrowne, as a matter of fact I live in Minnesota. Saint Crispin's are made in Eastern Europe so aren't I going to be subject to import duties no matter who I go through? Once I add on stuff like premium leathers and wood pegged soles, with my initials of course, I'm figuring it'll cost around $2k complete. I really like the resilience of shell cordovan, but the look of SC shoes screams calf to me. How is the crust calf that SC uses, and are there better shoe leather choices?

5. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Just buy from a US retailer and you won't have to worry about import duties at all. Leather Soul and Leffot are two that carry St. Crispin's. Both are excellent, although I have a strong preference for Leather Soul. They are the best.

The pegged waist is standard on St. C and I don't think they charge for putting initials on the sole (I could be wrong, however). Both are included in the ~$1600 that is normally charged for a standard calf skin shoe.

You are right that the crust calf that St. C uses is a "signature" look for them, and it is excellent. It can be difficult to care for, as the non polished parts spot with water quite easily.

6. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

I think I paid 1600 at Leffot.. And you can have them ship the shoes to you if you are out of state and save sales tax.

That said, I see a number of questions about sizing. I know the closest retailer may not be close by, but if you are spending 1600-2000 on a pair of shoes, it's a good excuse to spend a weekend with the wife/sig other, in NY/Toronto etc., and try them on.. I was still on the G&G kick, thinking I wanted a pair of Arrans and once I tried a few pairs on, Steven brought out the St Crispin Chukka and it was the actual fit and feel of the shoe that sold me on them. I knew it the moment they went on my feet that they were the ones.

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

buy through an American retailer if you are in the US.

8. BeSpiffington

Luckily I'll be going to NYC over the holidays to meet my sister and to get measured for a Martin Greenfield MTM suit. Might as well stop by Leffot and try on some SC shoes.

9. BeSpiffington

Gentlemen, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what last would work the best for me in a SC derby dress shoe. I measure 11.5D US on the brannock device, ectomorph with a Morton's toe, "royal" second toe as we like to believe. Are there certain lasts that would work better for me than others in the SC line? Thanks, BeSpiff

10. CrackedCrab

CrackedCrab Senior member

The classic last is very comfortable with a roomy toe box
    I would guess you would be 11 F1/2 in sc classic
    Some go down a full I went down .5 and find F1/2 equivalent to a roomy us d not quite E
    Get some they are amazing shoes. :slayer:

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Riva has a roomier toe box than the classic. The Riva is essentially the same as the classic, but with a slight upward hump. For sizing I would recommend emailing Philip directly. He's great about getting back to you.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  12. BeSpiffington

Thanks CC and Patrick for the info. Could one of you send me Philips contact info? BTW, what SC's do you guys have? Thanks, BeSpiff

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

I measure 10D Brannock, wears 10D/E US, but 8.5G in SC.

Nothing beats trying a pair on at the trunk show/retailer; sizing between different brands and associated lasts is different for everyone...

14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Similar results here. My left foot is a 12D and right 11.5 between D and E on Brannock device. My first pair of St. Crispins were 10.5 F, which is okay but not ideal. Pair fitted by Phillip Carr will be 10.5F left foot and 10G right foot, with fitting adjustments at ball of foot on each.

15. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

Some splendid shoes posted in this thread gentlemen!
    I'm contemplating a pair of St C's on the classic last for my next purchase.