• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Question: Do we know anything about the calf that StC uses for their shoes? What tannery, standards, etc?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ethan form rugged old salt also has this crease

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is right where the toe puff ends. Doesn't bother me honestly. If they were bespoke it would.

gusvs

Reaction score

I was thinking about this and my feelings are opposite of your intuition. I think shell tends to give less. Since it doesn't bend as easily it doesn't put as much strain on the foot it seems. Or it could be that StC just accounts for type of leather when lasting. For example with calf they last it tighter (or maybe just because it is easier to do with calf) to account for stretching, whereas shell isn't going to stretch all that much. As of right now the calf pair that I have feel a bit tight in the ball and hurt the tops of my toes. I think after I wear them a bit this will go away, but the other two shell pairs that I have don't do this. Also the shell pair that I have had for a few months now haven't seemed to stretch all that much. Calf generally loosens up quite a bit in my experience.

Come to think of it, you are probably right!

Was there any particular reason you went with shell, other than looks?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Come to think of it, you are probably right!

Was there any particular reason you went with shell, other than looks?

Ease of care, durability.
very strange, why wouldn't they end the toe puff in line with the cap toe, much nicer visually.
I think if they ended it with the stitches the vamp wouldn't be able to bend as freely. I think it is more a question of style having a large captoe than a short puff.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Badsha, Mr. Pink, could you talk more about your fitting, process, examples of measurements taken? I would have loved to attend the trunk show

My answers are much the same as the others. I own one pair of St Crispins. Phillip checked the fit on my foot both sitting and standing, then watched me walk around in them a bit. I spent some time talking to him about the shoes and making choices about what I wanted to order while wearing the shoes. I'd just spent two hours driving from San Diego, so he wanted to see if my feet would swell a bit. Then we went through the same process again. After that, Phillip had me take the shoes off so he could look at the shape of my foot. No measurements taken.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very strange, why wouldn't they end the toe puff in line with the cap toe, much nicer visually.
I think if they ended it with the stitches the vamp wouldn't be able to bend as freely. I think it is more a question of style having a large captoe than a short puff.

but the captoe doesn't seem that large nor long....

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Wow I must admit I did not care for St. Crispin's shoes up to this point. Maybe its because I already have a pair of Maftei shoes. However this model pictured above is wonderful. Is there a name for this model?
Thank you for the assistance and nice choice.

Thanks. Not sure of the name or the model number. I just grabbed the picture off Ethan from the Armoury's Tumbler and showed it to Phillip.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am on the verge of getting some Saint Crispins. I wear a 41.5 for Vass F last; will a UK7.5D fit me for Saint Crispins?Been hearing that we should size down. I wear a UK8E on the EG888 but its slighly long. Will appreciate some advise =)

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, that toecap shouldn't bend at all. The crease will likely get deeper in time and that's when the pain hits the ass. One of my Hungarian MTM pairs does this, I believe they were made shorter than necessary as there's nil room in front of the toes. Lucky thing mine are a casual pair, I'd be losing sleep over smart shoes.

gusvs

Reaction score

Guys, I am on the verge of getting some Saint Crispins. I wear a 41.5 for Vass F last; will a UK7.5D fit me for Saint Crispins?Been hearing that we should size down. I wear a UK8E on the EG888 but its slighly long. Will appreciate some advise =)

For the StC classic last I have found that sizing down 0.5 from EG 888 UK size is a perfect fit for me, meaning if you're UK8E on 888 I would go UK7.5F in StC (note that StC standard width is F, however for me sizing down to E with some last modifications has been best, but this is highly individual obviously).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads