• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SushiOfTheGods

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Badsha, Mr. Pink, could you talk more about your fitting, process, examples of measurements taken? I would have loved to attend the trunk show

Well for me, basically we found a pair of 9G show model that I fit into like a glove except for some areas. We also tested a 10F but that was way too long for me and the 9 was just perfect.
So I described where it felt tight, he took notes on where should be adjusted (I guess this is the PRET customization part), which was basically adding a patch to the last to the pinky toe area and instep, lowering the topline because Phillip noticed my ankles were on the lower side, making the waist a bit less pronounced to accommodate my flatter feet, and he took a quick measurement around where the instep was - I'm guessing to ensure that the eyelets meet and there isn't a big gap due to my high instep. He also said sizing up to H on my heel/ankle part would not be a bad idea.

He also showed me this video of the PRET customization while at it.

I'm guessing if there isn't a sample shoe you fit in, then Phillip would take many more measurements and try to find a last and width that would fit best.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drove up on Friday to see Phillip Carr. Very glad I did. He spent half an hour or more reviewing the fit of my one pair of St. Crispin's. Recommended, I drop down a size and go up a width on the right foot, and customized the last on both feet. Ordered these

I was looking for a very dark burgundy/oxblood which St. Crispin's doesn't have in their normal color pallete, but Phillip said that because the shoes were hand finished making them up wouldn't be a problem. All in all, a great experience.

Very nice.

Great choice.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Drove up on Friday to see Phillip Carr. Very glad I did. He spent half an hour or more reviewing the fit of my one pair of St. Crispin's. Recommended, I drop down a size and go up a width on the right foot, and customized the last on both feet. Ordered these

I was looking for a very dark burgundy/oxblood which St. Crispin's doesn't have in their normal color pallete, but Phillip said that because the shoes were hand finished making them up wouldn't be a problem. All in all, a great experience.

Wow I must admit I did not care for St. Crispin's shoes up to this point. Maybe its because I already have a pair of Maftei shoes. However this model pictured above is wonderful. Is there a name for this model?
Thank you for the assistance and nice choice.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Badsha, Mr. Pink, could you talk more about your fitting, process, examples of measurements taken? I would have loved to attend the trunk show

They were at Leather Soul Beverley Hills last weekend. And they had a trunk show last year around the same time. If we are lucky, probably next year the same time. Just have to drive/fly down to LA.

No measurements were taken. Just trying on different shoes, observe, and make recommendations. Mr Car is a very convincing fitter and I went with his recommendation.

The fitting process is far from bespoke.

SC do have bespoke options at slightly lower price points comparing to G&G. But G&G comes to SF twice a year.

Above was my experience as well. I will add that Phillip recommends an Oxford for a first shoe to get the fit down. He also did a PRET customization and checked my arch and instep. Once the fit is nailed down Phillip can help make recommendations on loafers and boots.

the wholecut is incredible. i never tire looking at

I was thinking about a wholecut, but there is an upcharge, so I passed this time.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wore my RMCH 2012 shoes today. Very nice but a bit tight on the inner ankle side, hopefully it'll get better. And those shoe trees are really tight fitting.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was my philosophy for my eg galways where I essentially paid the mto fee for leather soles. At that price point I would rather pay an extra fee and get exactly what I want

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads