• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sdfzs

Reaction score
Copied from an email from Mr. Car:
"My advice would be to go for the metal toe tips instead of the brass pegged tip, it is just more durable and you do not see it. "
For any any shoes where you would like to (more than marginally) improve durability go with the taps BUT as usual ymmv.
The pegs looks good and if your wear on the toes are just slightly more than the rest of the sole the additional resistance they provide in the beginning might extend the life of the sole just slightly. I'm personally wearing my toes just a bit to much for the pegs and once you wear down the heads of the pegs i would't say that you have any significant difference in resistance compared to the normal GE8 sole.

Jona

Reaction score
For any any shoes where you would like to (more than marginally) improve durability go with the taps BUT as usual ymmv.
The pegs looks good and if your wear on the toes are just slightly more than the rest of the sole the additional resistance they provide in the beginning might extend the life of the sole just slightly. I'm personally wearing my toes just a bit to much for the pegs and once you wear down the heads of the pegs i would't say that you have any significant difference in resistance compared to the normal GE8 sole.
Agreed. My Anthony Cleverleys have toe brads that don't seem to provide much significant protection against toe wear.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can second this. I have the brass pegs on the toes, and while they do look lovely, they wear down rather quickly. I don't think they add any durability over just leather.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you consider Brogues and Medallion to be classic or old?

The last plays a significant role in the overall appearance of almost any shoe. Regarding the shoes in this picture, I would say very much classic. Beautiful last. Beautiful shoes. Elegant.

I also think the leather contributes a touch. This leather looks supple and vibrant. May be the color, but the combination of the last and leather really makes this makeup appear modern yet sophisticated.

Last edited:

acapaca

Reaction score
Assuming you don't mean 'classic or old' as two ways to say the same thing, it's interesting to think about what differences there are between the two. I'm guessing the meaning is that some things can be 'old' but not in a 'classic' sort of good way. Or maybe 'old' is older than classic?

At any rate, I tend to avoid medallions myself, probably in part because of a mental connection I'm making with 'grandfather' sort of shoes that do not appeal to me in a 'classic' sort of way (I'm thinking of something like Florsheim wingtips on a blobby last). But I think the ones in this picture look fantastic!

Patrick1053

Reaction score
99.9 % of people (at least in America) are gonna look at those wingtips and say something like, "oh, that looks fancy or "That guy knows how to dress.", or "he's making me feel uncomfortable about my appearance" I can't imagine anyone saying, "what's up grandpa" if you have those shoes on...

unless of course, you are a grandpa.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some news. Enjoy!

Saint Crispins_715_JAN078_Classic_Last_1.jpg
Saint Crispins_643_RUS075_Classic_Last_1.jpg
Saint Crispins_539_MUS078_Classic_Last_1.jpg

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you consider Brogues and Medallion to be classic or old?

IMO these are the most beautiful wingtips in existence. Definitely will be my next St. C purchase whenever I get out of "soft pants all the time" covid mode. IMO these, especially on the classic last, are like a modern reinterpretation of something classic.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO these are the most beautiful wingtips in existence. Definitely will be my next St. C purchase whenever I get out of "soft pants all the time" covid mode. IMO these, especially on the classic last, are like a modern reinterpretation of something classic.
I think that pair really defines StC. You can't go wrong with that style. :fonz:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chunkier wingtip designs (CJ's Pembroke & Alden's wingtip comes to mind) look more grandpaish. Yet with the right trouser or chino leg opening, those easily can pass for stuff a person in their early 20s can wear.

Wingtips work for damn near anyone.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%