• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
By the way, it doesn't mean that everyone likes it. It took me a while to get used to it, at the beginning I did not like it. Now I like it but I guess only because they are unique in that respect. Different from every other brand I own. But if I had to pick one to live with for the rest of my life, I don't think it would be the St Crispin's look.

cliffordcaucus

Reaction score
Mod. 900 MTO in aniline dyed mid-brown calf came in yesterday! More details on my Instagram: @babyfaceshoes

C44CE2C0-2226-440D-8D05-2660AF1CC646.jpeg
24BEDF10-EADD-4951-94A5-5378CBC5FF60.jpeg
5C663852-03AB-499D-AB0D-A26006179C76.jpeg

LThomsen

Reaction score
By the way, it doesn't mean that everyone likes it. It took me a while to get used to it, at the beginning I did not like it. Now I like it but I guess only because they are unique in that respect. Different from every other brand I own. But if I had to pick one to live with for the rest of my life, I don't think it would be the St Crispin's look.
How does stc leather age differently than other brands?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i got my first pair of St. Crispin's today. Is creasing like this common with the crust leather? I understand all shoes will have creasing but having creases running longitudinally down the shoe seems odd to me. The shoes fit great, this is the only issue I have with them.

View attachment 1413278

I believe I mentioned this in a much much earlier post (maybe on another thread). Basically it is a buyer beware, or aware would be more appropriate.

StC use crust leathers for their shoes (no surprise to anyone I'm sure). Then they themselves dye the individual cut pieces of leather.
So you end up with variations on the same color (which is cool), but leads to less color-fast.
Add in the fact, they add a wax throughout the whole shoe which cracks a bit.

So what you end up with is a less color fast shoe with cracked wax. It's not a negative, but it can be if you find that sort of characteristic unsavory.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does stc leather age differently than other brands?

Due to the less color fast comment I mentioned, you have all sorts of aging that goes on. You also have this occur much more rapidly compared to other brands. So, have your creams & waxes at the ready. You will need them if you plan on keeping them looking sharp.

Last edited:

rdaws

Reaction score
Show me your pair of 633s!

My personal last is in production and I'm trying to have a decision on leather by the time the second pair of trial shoes arrives. I'm torn between CRU 608, Dark Brown Russian Calf, Aniline... I tend to like something that gets a nice patina (crust) as well as something that resists creasing and cracking (aniline) so I'm a bit on the fence. I need something to wow me.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I mentioned this in a much much earlier post (maybe on another thread). Basically it is a buyer beware, or aware would be more appropriate.

StC use crust leathers for their shoes (no surprise to anyone I'm sure). Then they themselves dye the individual cut pieces of leather.
So you end up with variations on the same color (which is cool), but leads to less color-fast.
Add in the fact, they add a wax throughout the whole shoe which cracks a bit.

So what you end up with is a less color fast shoe with cracked wax. It's not a negative, but it can be if you find that sort of characteristic unsavory.
I remember reading about the crust leather. It was just a bit surprising seeing a bunch of cracks form when I was taking the shoe tree out for the first time. They fit great by the way. I'm very satisfied with the personalized last.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show me your pair of 633s!

My personal last is in production and I'm trying to have a decision on leather by the time the second pair of trial shoes arrives. I'm torn between CRU 608, Dark Brown Russian Calf, Aniline... I tend to like something that gets a nice patina (crust) as well as something that resists creasing and cracking (aniline) so I'm a bit on the fence. I need something to wow me.

If you are asking me, I don't have the 633.

That's the one I want as well, because it looks great in pictures. I was the one trying to encourage people to buy that SpTD. Some may say, I am an enabler ?.

I remember reading about the crust leather. It was just a bit surprising seeing a bunch of cracks form when I was taking the shoe tree out for the first time. They fit great by the way. I'm very satisfied with the personalized last.

Well you can make it your own by allowing it to age as is or adding creams to alter the color.

Last edited:

Mallaig

Reaction score
If you are asking me, I don't have the 633.

That's the one I want as well, because it looks great in pictures. I was the one trying to encourage people to buy that SpTD. Some may say, I am an enabler ?.

Well you can make it your own by allowing it to age as is or adding creams to alter the color.
You got me all excited about the 633 as well. Damned enabler. That will be my one of my next purchases.

@rdaws check out the posts by @DL120 he has an amazing pair of 633S in natural shell.

BomTrady

Reaction score
You mean on the shipping invoice they had it marked as $1200 and DHL went ahead and delivered to you without asking you to pay anything? Hard to believe. Allow me to not believe this.

Here is what's going on:
  1. The seller has to declare the value of the package. This you cannot skip. You HAVE TO declare a value. You HAVE TO give a number. True or false.
  2. If the declared value is >$800 the recipient pays tax
  3. If the declared value is <$800 they don't
Simple. Does anyone disagree with the above?

And I gave a specific example of how I had to pay and I did not. Seller indicated €780 (this is actually what I paid) but DHL read $780. So I did not pay even though 780eur was something like $900 at the time.

Here is another example when I had to pay and I didn't. Shoes cost $1000 but the seller wrote $600 on the invoice, for obvious reasons.

Simple. I don't think there is any mystery here. So effectively the question is whether the seller will provide the actual price or intentionally something lower. Or let's call it 'accidentally' something lower. That's all it comes down to. So when you say you 'got lucky', you mean the seller accidentally put a lower price on the package.
No, that's not what I mean at all. First, what you're talking about is illegal.If you get caught doing something like that and the feds want to make an example out of you, you can wind up a felon, not to mention the immense trouble the merchant can get into. My law school roommate is a AUSA for the SDNY and he prosecutes "accidental" crimes all the time, some involving small amounts of money. They pick someone and make an example out of that person as a deterrent to others. All those small cheats add up . If its one thing Uncle Sam hates is being cheated out of tax dollars. Second, DHL likely had lots of deliveries and wanted to stay on schedule, was low on staff and delivered my package anyway. Someone was probably supposed to send me a invoice but either forgot or was new and didn't know how or whatever. I order stuff from Naples all the time and it does get missed from time to time (that is DHL likely pays Uncle Sam and doesn't ask me to pay for whatever reason), although usually DHL will send an invoice later. So, yes, a fee times my package showed up and I never paid. I got lucky.

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
No, that's not what I mean at all. First, what you're talking about is illegal.If you get caught doing something like that and the feds want to make an example out of you, you can wind up a felon, not to mention the immense trouble the merchant can get into. My law school roommate is a AUSA for the SDNY and he prosecutes "accidental" crimes all the time, some involving small amounts of money. They pick someone and make an example out of that person as a deterrent to others. All those small cheats add up . If its one thing Uncle Sam hates is being cheated out of tax dollars. Second, DHL likely had lots of deliveries and wanted to stay on schedule, was low on staff and delivered my package anyway. Someone was probably supposed to send me a invoice but either forgot or was new and didn't know how or whatever. I order stuff from Naples all the time and it does get missed from time to time (that is DHL likely pays Uncle Sam and doesn't ask me to pay for whatever reason), although usually DHL will send an invoice later. So, yes, a fee times my package showed up and I never paid. I got lucky.
That IS illegal and that's why retailers don't do it. Nothing new there. If a retailer wants though to break the law it would not be the first time. I'm sure some retailers break the law in more than one ways. Not only retailers in fact but any business. Laws are broken every day, nothing new there either. Some get caught and pay for it and some don't. Of all the retailers I ever bought from, being serious businesses, never did that because they know better. Imagine if retailer XXX consistently did that. At some point someone would turn them in and that would be it. As a prosecutor prosecuting the case, all you would have to do would be to order 3-4 times from that retailer to establish a pattern. That would be enough to build your case. But based on that evidence you would also be able to subpoena all their sales records and the DHL shipping invoices in no time. But again, businesses know better than that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads