• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody know, if they have shoes like in stock, or are they all made as orders come in?

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
On the assumption SC only makes about 1500 pair per year...8-10 makers probably sounds about right for a workshop...and also on the assumption that some of the shoe components are outsourced..i.e. sole work.....For a town similar in size to Northampton, remember Brasov has quite a few shoe manufacturers also making shoes for other firms....

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
There's a high-end department store in Austria called Steffl that stocks 5-8 range of the SC shoes....They are RTW and also offer MTO service...Prices range from €900 to €1300.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, no, I mean their workshop. If I order a pair from Leffot from the official StC catalogue, for example I want model 215 in black does St.C have this at their shop they would ship directly to Leffot, or would they start physically making the shoe when they get the order?

I'm just wondering because if they make them all from scratch upon getting the order then there is no incentive (time waiting) to just order from their book. If I can get a shoe in 2 weeks rather than 4 months that would incentivize me not to get fuddy-duddy on the MTO details.

Btw, I first read your name as Iloveboobs.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I honestly don't know how you guys do it, none of my shoes have cracks yet (max life 5 years so far). That include things ranging from Testoni/Ferragamo to CJ bench and handgrade then onto EG/GG

I wear my shoes a lot. Wore a hole in the sole of the shoes being sent back to G&G.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wear my shoes a lot. Wore a hole in the sole of the shoes being sent back to G&G.

bottom I understand, but crack on upper, I don't quite get it. I walk a lot in NYC (or used to), a lesser extent when I was in London, but 3 miles a day easy and my upper hasn't crack. Maybe I got lucky, who knows...

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
lol....very good........... My alias offended 3 types on SF...1) Those who dislike bobbs......2) Those who dislike Lobbs....3) Those who dislike nudity....

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the assumption SC only makes about 1500 pair per year...8-10 makers probably sounds about right for a workshop...and also on the assumption that some of the shoe components are outsourced..i.e. sole work.....For a town similar in size to Northampton, remember Brasov has quite a few shoe manufacturers also making shoes for other firms....

At say 6 pairs of shoes per day, 5 days a week, and 50 weeks a year, that's 1,500 pairs already for one single shoemaker. Or say if I am grossly overestimating their efficiency by 1x, it still takes only two shoemakers to make 1,500 pairs per year.

By definition, shoemakers are the ones that takes clicked and closed uppers, soles, and lasts and assembles them together into a pair of shoes. Clickers, pattern makers, closers, last makers, fitters, QA, etc, are not shoemakers.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
Interesting numbers Chogall....I got the 1500 figures from a quote from SC...couple of years back. I am sure these figures may have increased for 2013 due to popularity of the brand and increased sales outlet from new vendors like Leatherfoot and others....... And presuming their wholesale price of say about €350 to €450 per pair (based on 2x mark-up) their average revenue on 1500 is about €600K...is that alot of wonga for such an operation???

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Still no answer to my question regarding their stock vs. mto. Did it fall by the wayside, or does nobody know?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should ask Steven Taffel or St. Crispin.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice cgo!

My latest addition:

Cuban heel:
[/quote

These looks greats, very unique colour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads