• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+1. Also very accommodating. Another reason St. C is my favourite maker.

Yes, EG MTO was pretty poor by comparison.

I was actually talking to my girlfriend about this. Well, more like rambling while she was pretending to be interested. It seems to me that the higher upfront cost of St C. keeps the market somewhat smaller, however what you get for the cost is so much more. They seem to be more accommodating as far as styling, easier to communicate with, and furthermore they go the extra mile to make the shoes fit and will do maintenance on them for what I consider relatively cheap. Other makers while they make nice shoes don't go the extra mile, their shoes aren't constructed as well, they won't alter the shoe in any way to make it fit better, and furthermore charge an arm and a leg for re-crafting and generally won't do things like patch them up if need be and such. I've always wanted St. Crispin's and until recently they were hard to come by in the states, now since they are easy to come by, for me at least, I hope they don't grow too much and become jaded and overworked like a lot of the other makers have become in the last 6 years or so.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually talking to my girlfriend about this. Well, more like rambling while she was pretending to be interested. It seems to me that the higher upfront cost of St C. keeps the market somewhat smaller, however what you get for the cost is so much more. They seem to be more accommodating as far as styling, easier to communicate with, and furthermore they go the extra mile to make the shoes fit and will do maintenance on them for what I consider relatively cheap. Other makers while they make nice shoes don't go the extra mile, their shoes aren't constructed as well, they won't alter the shoe in any way to make it fit better, and furthermore charge an arm and a leg for re-crafting and generally won't do things like patch them up if need be and such. I've always wanted St. Crispin's and until recently they were hard to come by in the states, now since they are easy to come by, for me at least, I hope they don't grow too much and become jaded and overworked like a lot of the other makers have become in the last 6 years or so.
Well said!!!

Dib

Reaction score

Agree with all of this - some of my EG Top Drawers and MTO's have had little problems with them and it's so difficult to get EG to rectify them (presumably because they already have so much work relative to their size).

My only issue with St. Crispin's however is the unsightly creasing that can appear on a lot of their shoes (quite prominent ridges on many of the shoes I have seen, including my own). Whilst i'm of the view that if a shoes fits you, then you shouldn't worry where the creases fall, the prominent creasing on SC's does compromise their aesthetic appeal for me a little.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it is because they use very lightweight Italian leather as opposed to the more robust English shoes and leathers. To me creases are part of the charm and when I buy the shoes I buy with styling that the creases will compliment. Then again the pair I have on the way are shell and I will be ordering another shell pair so it is a moot point.

Honestly G&G Deco, and EG Top Drawer they are appealing to those who like to ohh and ahh over things that don't matter. Ok, more polishing, nicer sole, and a box... Really? :confused: They are still goodyear welted and essentially the same thing with more polishing and a high price tag. Not fooling me.

Dib

Reaction score

I think it is because they use very lightweight Italian leather as opposed to the more robust English shoes and leathers. To me creases are part of the charm and when I buy the shoes I buy with styling that the creases will compliment. Then again the pair I have on the way are shell and I will be ordering another shell pair so it is a moot point.

Honestly G&G Deco, and EG Top Drawer they are appealing to those who like to ohh and ahh over things that don't matter. Ok, more polishing, nicer sole, and a box... Really? :confused: They are still goodyear welted and essentially the same thing with more polishing and a high price tag. Not fooling me.

Hmm..not sure, the SC crust leather feels heavier and more substantial to me than the leather on my G&G's or EG's.

I'm not sure I agree that EG Top Drawer appeals to people who are attraced by things that don't matter. The main reason I used Top Drawer was because it allowed me to create a design i had in mind that wouldn't have been possible had i gone the MTO route. That said, the result wasn't perfect (in terms of some of the workmanship) which isn't acceptable at that price point, so not sure I would go that route again.

I agree with you though that creases are part of a shoe's charm - i much prefer the look of a pair of brogues once they have been heavily worn, and lovingly polished, compared to what they look like straight out of the box!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wasn't really referring to the crust leather. Not all of their leather is crust. I didn't personally handle their crust leather so I couldn't be sure, but their shoes feel much lighter than my G&G's for sure. Not sure why.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Frtizl told me that their construction has definitely stepped up lately compared to what it used to be, so maybe it was something fixed? Then again with RTW creasing and such is a crapshoot, it could just be because the shoe doesn't fit optimally for the creasing to me minimized.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had creasing on a pair of boots which I purchased last year (very old stock).

Recent pairs have not had this problem and are made on the same last.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That could be true.

Check Poshs post on newsaboutshoes.de or something like that. She has a picture blog/post on hand resoling a pair of SC. I don't read German so had to rely on G translate.

Still waiting for SC to be here at Cali so I can get a better judgement on last customization.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have three other pairs of RTW SC (probably from the last three or so years) and creasing doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I don't know if the creasing problems others have is related to the relative fit of the shoe or to the construction or both or neither.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three other pairs of RTW SC (probably from the last three or so years) and creasing doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I don't know if the creasing problems others have is related to the relative fit of the shoe or to the construction or both or neither.

i only have two pair but i still agree with THIS

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
SC leather is amazing, IMO. Yeah, it creases a bit more than some others I have seen... but it survived this:

e9uru5em.jpg

And looked like this after a clean and polish:

u4u6yry9.jpg

No issues from me. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics