St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

I like St Crispins over other high end UK brands such as EG/G&G/JL. Have no experience with Besttetti, Meccariello, or the Japanese MTO makers so couldn't comment.

But SC's leather usage is not quite as good as the rest, IME.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I have yet to regret any purchases from St Crispins (2) but then again I have yet to regret any of my purchases from Edward Green (10) or John Lobb (1). But I think you can tell my experience level with these brands are probably on the low side compared to most here. But I am a shoe enthusiast and the 2 pair I have received with regards to look, feel, and finishing of the shoe were outstanding. The box they came in, which won't be used for anything but storing is a bit underwhelming. But these are boxes and they do what they are intended to. They certainly however do not detract from the over all experience in my opinion. The shoes I received equaled if not surpassed the pictures I saw that made me desire to purchase the shoes I chose. Mostly because I can now say I own those shoes, and yes they do look and feel every bit as good if not better than I though they would.

However when you ask whether someone regrets their purchase or if something meets their expectations I think besides getting their opinion it might also be helpful if you had an idea as to what their experiences with buying that level of goods are so you would have a better idea as to what their expectations might be. But if you were to also scan the entire thread I think you would probably find that St Crispins generally meets or exceeds most posters within this threads expectations. I may have missed something but I think most of what I have read here is positive if not highly praising the brand.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The perception of value is not only relative, it is highly subjective. As one ascends the RTW hierarchy, progressively higher premiums are paid for smaller increases in quality. Whether it is "worth it" is very much a subjective perception. Some would argue that EG / G&G are not "worth" the premium they command over Carmina. I would not be one of them, but I could see their point.

I am well pleased with the value equation of my 3 pairs of St. C.

@gusvs - those are just gorgeous - Santa was very good to you.

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

IOW, there's no significant difference in the techniques or the materials used in a $600.00 RTW GYW shoe and a $1200.00 RTW GYW shoe. (Where have we heard that before?)

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Saint crispins is hand welted and pegged at waist. So it does offer differentiation against high end UK makers.

The upper leather used is different tho, they do use more parts of the hide for making.

6. DWFII

Yes, I understand...perfectly. That's why I specified GYW (goodyear welted). IMO, St. Crispin's are good value...they could probably and reasonably charge more...esp. in the global village.

And FWIW, only about 25% of any hide is prime, #1 leather...so using more might be arguably less.

--

7. diadem

diadem Senior member

I think he was just drawing a parallel between patrick_b's post and...that...discussion that we've had in the past. I don't think he was chiming in on the current topic of the quality of St. Crispin's. DWFII knows full well that StC's are handwelted and pegged at the waist as I've seen him talk about them before.

EDIT: ninja'd by the man himself.

8. DWFII

:fistbump:

9. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

I am in agreement with everyone here. It might seem odd to hear but I've often felt like for what you get in quality and customiszation (compared to shoes priced right below) St.Cs represent a deal. I also think that those who have trouble with fit in the other RTW and even MTO brands will find St.Cs Customized/Personal Last service to be an excellent option.

I also think the service you get at this level far exceeded that which is offered by similarly priced brands with higher production (and perhaps thinner margins).

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Great points across the board.

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

Given its flexibilities and construction methods, Saint Crispins should really be compared with the likes of Bestetti, Meccarriello at the low end and semi-bespoke order of Yanagimachi, Fukuda, etc at the high end.

Saint Crispins last modification is okay. YMMV.

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Thinking of selling my St. C's. Not getting much wear. What do used models (good ones) go for these days?

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

With all of the cheap bastards that flood the secondary clothing market I think you'd be lucky to get $400.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

:paranoia: damn. That's no good. Thanks man.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I recently sold a lightly used pair for $850, although I had it resoled and recrafted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]