St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Flake

Flake Senior member

[​IMG]

Crappy mobile pic of the new bal boots

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

leather looking good, much better than their crusts.

has SC ever fix their toe cap creasing problems??

3. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

I haven't a problem with either of mine; well with the exception of these :smarmy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  4. mclassic101

mclassic101 Affiliate Vendor

Thank you sir! [​IMG]

Few more pairs arrived last week for our customers! Enjoy!

Mod. 505a (Doublemonk with hand sewn apron upper)
    CRU612 (darker toe & heel)
    Classic Last
    [​IMG]

Mod. 509 Ghillie with hand sewn apron upper
    CRU 608
    Novello Last
    [​IMG]

Last but not least come visit our affiliate thread here for our BLACK FRIDAY SALE info!
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/416852/...ear-official-affiliate-thread/15#post_7530453

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

@Flake - those are really fab. I find pairing really light coloured boots to be a challenge, but you clearly have that sorted.

@mclassic101 - LOVE the CRU 608 on that second pair. I will definitely own something in that shade one day.

I'll have my own contributions to make to the thread next week, then hopefully the week after. Serious Black Friday koppage. [​IMG]

6. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Congrats RogerP! Leatherfoot? Pretty tempting. How did you size your Saint Crispins? I take a UK10E (normal width) in Edward Green 888 and Gaziano & Girling TG73/MH71/DG70 for reference.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

@Odd I/O

One pair from @LeatherFoot and another from @mclassic101

I had the good fortune of being sized and fitted by Philip Car at a Leatherfoot trunk show. My starting point is an 8.5G, from which point a few small tweeks were made to the Classic last for my first custom order - a pair of chukkas I have posted previously. The fit is perfect. I honestly don't know how bespoke could fit any better.

In the realm of RTW store samples, I know I can wear a UK9 in a tall boot just fine (I like a roomier fit in a boot). For shoes, though, most 8.5f are too narrow. Not by a lot, but enough that I would pass. But the great thing about being able to try on multiple examples in-person is that I have stumbled across the odd pair of 8.5 f that due to whatever combination of factors (last, style, small variation in manufacturing) fit me extremely well. So on Friday I went in and tried on whatever they had in my size. They have a pair of cordovan derbies that I knew from a past visit fit like a dream. But at a starting point around $3k they were still going to land on the pricey side for a single pair (for me, anyway).

These Ghillies fit pretty well and I wanted them soooo badly because I think this is the nicest shade of green for shoes on the planet:

[​IMG]

But the pair I ended up getting - which I'll post up when I get some pics - fit even better and fit won the day.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd put the fit of a St.C. 8.5F Classic last as similar to (but just a touch smaller overall) than EG 888 in a 9E width.
    There isn't a full half size difference between the two, IMO. I find G&G standard E width a bit on the narrow side.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

9. mclassic101

mclassic101 Affiliate Vendor

Many thanks RogerP! [​IMG]

10. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Very nice @RogerP !! Wear in good health!

It sounds like we have similar sizing obstacles. I also started out with a St.C G width from which I had to begin making adjustments to get a better fit. I agree that it's an excellent option compared to working with either standard RTW sizes or commissioning bespoke. I'm still dialing in the correct size though...

11. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out!

A UK10E in 888 fits really close on my foot, so there's no way a 9.5F Saint Crispin would fit if it's a touch smaller. And a 10F might be a little large. I'm going to have to visit Leatherfoot one of these days to nail down my Saint Crispin size.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Aaaaand here are the new shoes. Slipped these on, walked from one end of the store to the other. Sold. Fit so great. I've been wanting to up my casual shoe game and I've always thought Ghillies were too cool for school. At least, "always" being for the last year and a half that I knew such shoes existed.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

Fantastic!
    I've never thought that Ghillie looks so good until now...!

14. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

RogerP rocks it again, good choice. I do believe you've just solidified my second ghillie idea with this one.

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

freaking awesome, Roger! really love those. Great pickup