Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

...leave it to this yuppie guy to weigh in with weighty words and insight. It's pure talent.

2. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

My 1st pair of SC just arrived.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The only thing I am somewhat dissatisfied with to a small degree is the condition of the uppers after recieving resoled shoes. I'm a bit of a nut and probably maintain the uppers of my shoes better than most people, but when I get them back from a resole, I have to spend another 2 hours getting them to look like they did before I sent them. They certainly aren't as polished as when they are new (and still I spend about 2 hours working on them when they are new as well). Just a minor nit, but I guess it helps keep the recraft price lower.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

St Crispins will be in San Francisco next Thurs and Fri at WIngtip for a trunk show.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Was planning to talk to Mr. Car regarding my MTO issues but have to go on a biz trip. :( Maybe next year when he returns...

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I will be there - I have a serious itch that needs scratching.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll be there on Thursday to see the Crispy trunk show along with Mr Ambrosi for pants. Will be shooting pics for my blog.

9. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I'm wondering if anyone has ordered any slip ons from St. C and has any thoughts on them. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of 539s, the plain penny loafers.

10. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

I have a pair of 539's and they're actually one of my best fitting pair of shoes! They're on an adjusted classic last.

[​IMG]

11. JeffArmoury

JeffArmoury Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

They look great as always Gus. CRU 608 or 609?

Jeff

12. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Thanks Jeff! It's 608.

13. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Thanks. Those are beautiful.

14. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Q: Are you wearing your orthotics in your StC shoes?

It's quite difficult to determine whether or not you are going to have a good fit with Orthotics without wearing your shoes for a while. Your shoes will break in and your Orthotics will settle... If you are ordering a 'adjusted last' shoe then you didn't have that opportunity - you had to 'get long' before you tried them on..

In choosing a pair of shoes, whether RTW, adjusted last (like your case) or be-spoke, it makes sense to work with someone that understands how to fit a person with problem feet. Not quite sure you got the level of service you required when you ordered your shoes. You really need to work with someone that has a lot of experience and patience - someone that wants to sell you 10 pairs of shoes in the next decade and not just close the sale today. I know of a few excellent shoe retailers in NYC - they focus more on comfort shoes are are not frequented by men of this forum so you might be disappointed in the styling (I am).

I would recommend speaking with Mr. Carr at at a trunk show if that is a possibility or perhaps saving up to go the bespoke route. Either way, you are taking a risk given that you have problems with your feet (as I do) so I would caution you to find someone that is committed to working with you to get the fit right.

I've recently worked with two bespoke makers and have had more success with one over the other - however, I think both of them will work with me to 'get it right.' I think you have to have patience and realize that you will probably never get the 'perfect fit' that some men can achieve. As long as the shoes are appropriate for your foot (shape of last, blucher versus balmoral, amount of arch support, etc) and fitted well, your feet will become accustomed to your shoes and you will be satisfied.

I am a long-time orthotic wearer and have real issues with fit so I sympathize with your plight. Don't give up on your quest for comfortable, stylish dress shoes...

15. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Love those loafers, just place an order for a pair of penny loafers like your @gusvs but I ask for apron front and split toes like the loafers below. Now the wait.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014