St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

I thought I might have forgotten to slag someone off.
    Thank you RogerP!

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I don't know...perhaps it's because because there are people here that don't know what they're talking about. Who pretend to knowledge they don't have and feel empowered to criticize people who do. Perhaps it's because I don't report offensive posts. Never have.

For that matter, I have over 4000 posts here on SF. What percentage of those are meaningful contributions, do you think? And what percentage are responding to trolls and jerks--people who look for reasons to quarrel without any reason other than they can?

You've got less than 10% of the posts I have...how many of yours are meaningful contributions? If you or MoosicaPa ever get to the point where you have anything of substance to say...based on real time experiences and not just speculation... I've got even money that you'll find yourself in a pissing match with someone who just wants the adrenaline rush.

On the other hand, were you recently appointed to the forum police?

If you were...or just think you were...where do you think this particular pissing match started? Were you reading here for more than three or four posts or did you just drop in to say hello? Hint: read page 178 and forward until you hit post 2674. Then tell me why there's a pissing match at all.

Hell, MoosicaPa remarks were in response to a post I made to someone else. I wasn't talking to him and the conversation I had going with chogall was friendly and respectful. Both directions.

And yes, we can all look at pretty pictures and coo and bill over them but I was addressing a question that someone else raised. So if my comments were out of place take it up with the poster in 2660 and 2664. And everybody in-between.

--

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Oh Lordy....almost makes me want to go back to discussing trouser length. :)

4. DWFII

A pissing match that I was not involved in because it was off topic...!!!! say it's not so!....and I didn't have anything substantive to add to the conversation and won't pretend otherwise.

Almost every post on that subject was critical (slagging?) of someone else, however.. That I do know.

5. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Being my first pair of St Crispin, I have to say I'm positively surprised at the fit (with advice from Philip Car). I like the long heel stiffener. A feature I've only experienced with Japanese bespoke (not yet received). With a few adjustments I'm sure a close to perfect last could be created.

6. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Here's my St. Crispin's cred....... I don't feel a need to answer to someone who admittedly know's nothing about St. C's. but feels obligated to post meaningless drivel here. So you've got over 4000+ posts..... just tells me the nursing home computer is free a lot.

[​IMG]

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Good. Now we know you have money to spend and loves the brand. Now spent some time to learn about the craft.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

My experience and my sentiments exactly. Wearing my St. Crispin's chukkas right now and the small tweeks Philip suggested for the last have resulted in what feels like a perfect fit. Wish I had a half dozen of these.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

I was satisfied with the fitting process. The result was much less than satisfactory. Perhaps it's because of that I felt I should have gone with my initial decision of making trial shoes and personal last despite Mr Cars suggestion of not doing so.

Spending a lot of money to buy a pair of shoes that hurts my feet isn't the most thrilling experience.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Moosic, what exactly is your argument? I'm not clear. DW has been making boots and shoes for decades and fitted feet. I would think that is a different experience than buying shoes, which is relatively easy compared to fitting and making footwear.

11. DWFII

I didn't say I knew nothing about St. Crispins, you imagined that. You redacted a portion of what I did say. And you continue to ignore the fact that I didn't say a damn thing critical about St. Crispin's--ever.

For example, as chogal said, I peg the waist of my boots. I know what it takes. How about you? Tell us again what you actually know about St. Crispin's. ...aside from the price.

There's a big difference between being sold a product, and knowing intimately what goes into that product. You might as well display the boxes the shoes came in. They're a better reference for your expertise and authenticity. Especially if they're empty.

Here's my credentials:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--

12. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

I just gave him what I wear in EG and G&G, and he came up with a suggestion. Will probably request a personal last with some slight rasping between the arch and the ball, possibly slightly over the front part of the foot.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd love it if plastic surgeons rather than having their degrees in their office behind their desk they just had examples of their boob jobs. I'd lol.

14. DWFII

Yeah, you know you're in trouble when your "professional" chef starts rhapsodizing about the White Castle burgers he's eaten.

:crackup:

--

15. Xancatrius

Xancatrius Senior member

Gents, I mean no disrespect when I came here to seek help.

I have no reason to be disrespectful when I'm asking for advice. Basic human decency, even if not etiquette.

The problem here is, I paid 15500 HKD for a customized last, which to the best of my knowledge, seems to infer that the last is made to suit my feet.

So it begs the question when my feet are constantly being crammed all over and in all the wrong places causing pain, when this last was supposed to be fitted according to my feet.

Now I am not asking for bespoke, because I know this is not bespoke. This is a customized last.

But I think something is wrong when a ready to wear shoe fits better and causes less pain, if any at all, than a "customized" shoe.

Anyway I had the pleasure of speaking to a visiting English bespoke shoemaker who suggested that the last was actually rather straight, and for my feet he would have "twisted" the last, so to speak, to accommodate for the rolling of my feet.

St Crispins have made use of stiffener all around the shoe. But by pushing it from the side and forcing my foot up, it actually just pushes my feet in the other side, due to the fact that there is no support for the bottom (via an insole).

I make no claim that St Crispin's helps my feet. All I did was ask around the forum and the members suggested St C's for the stiffener and PRET last. And Ethan himself confirmed this. And yet I am in pain.

It's nobody's fault, Ethan is not the shoemaker himself, and his knowledge might not reach so far as to the pronation of feet. However I do know that I spent what I spent, and I expect the performance that was confidently promised.