• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

what was the issue with the shrunken calf?

If it got wet the water droplets were taking off the color. Even if it didn't it seems like the pigment wasn't adhering to it very well. It almost looked like bleach spots.

IMO, their buffalo leather looks similar, but I even think it looks a bit better than the shrunken calf, spotting aside. I am not sure if it is truly buffalo, but I just think it looks nicer.

600x1000px-LL-68ea84f0_18362.jpeg

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak on the quality of the buffalo ... but it does like quite nice on those

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it got wet the water droplets were taking off the color. Even if it didn't it seems like the pigment wasn't adhering to it very well. It almost looked like bleach spots.

IMO, their buffalo leather looks similar, but I even think it looks a bit better than the shrunken calf, spotting aside. I am not sure if it is truly buffalo, but I just think it looks nicer.

600x1000px-LL-68ea84f0_18362.jpeg

water spots removing the color on shrunken calf isn't entirely true.
Water droplets haven't affected my pair of shrunken calf in the least.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, but many people have had issues.

True....and I remember pretty recently Che at Leffot telling me that StC was still having issues with the shrunken calf...as Leffot had stocked the chukka in shrunken calf and the leather was defective.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, I'm not willing to buy into a potential urban myth based on a single chukka with a finish problem
Nor do I automatically accept that the damaged finish on one shoe shown earlier in this thread was solely from water
and is indicative of a systemic problem with St C finishes or the leather in general

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

water spots removing the color on shrunken calf isn't entirely true.
   Water droplets haven't affected my pair of shrunken calf in the least.

Nah, I'm not willing to buy into a potential urban myth based on a single chukka with a finish problem
Nor do I automatically accept that the damaged finish on one shoe shown earlier in this thread was solely from water
and is indicative of a systemic problem with St C finishes or the leather in general

It is hard to believe. But it is possible. Some finishes are water soluble. Also keep in mind that shoemakers are constantly changing their sources for various reasons...cost of raw materials is just one. You could have gotten a pair of shoes from a previous lot of hides coming from a different tannery.

I would ordinarily say that the owner spilled acetone on the shoes but if I'm not mistaken there were other examples.

??

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is hard to believe. But it is possible. Some finishes are water soluble. Also keep in mind that shoemakers are constantly changing their sources for various reasons...cost of raw materials is just one. You could have gotten a pair of shoes from a previous lot of hides coming from a different tannery.

I would ordinarily say that the owner spilled acetone on the shoes but if I'm not mistaken there were other examples.

??

I don't discount the notion entirely, absolutely anything is possible. Personally, I've only seen a single example
which doesn't qualify as 'many' in my world

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nor do I automatically accept that the damaged finish on one shoe shown earlier in this thread was solely from water
and is indicative of a systemic problem with St C finishes or the leather in general

You're either an idiot, or in denial. It has happened to many people. Apparently Saint Crispins acknowledged it.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're either an idiot, or in denial. It has happened to many people. Apparently Saint Crispins acknowledged it.

no, not denial . . . . just wondering where the actual evidence of 'many' is other than air moving from someone's mouth
the idiot part does usually indicate a weak position or a weak mind to begin with so I'll stick with my story until I see the 'many' examples.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm going with both. An idiot in denial.

If a retailer says they have had several issues what more do you want? Phone calls from all the owners? Pull your head out of your ass.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no, not denial . . . . just wondering where the actual evidence of 'many' is other than air moving from someone's mouth
   the idiot part does usually indicate a weak position or a weak mind to begin with so I'll stick with my story until I see the 'many' examples.

+1 :nodding:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would like to disclose that I have "many" testicles. Actual amount up for interpretation.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
come on. I like to at least think you're intelligent enough to know that pebbles can't grow up to become stones. the reverse is their only capability.

one of these days i'll take the time to search the problem for more than the single example that shows up this particular forum in hopes it can validate the single retailer. until then, i'll rely on my 2 pair of the 'problem' leather to continue to trudge through somehow.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads