1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

Worn in as in.. the shoe with creases?

2. Ejirardo

Ejirardo Senior member

I will post some pics tomorrow of a pair I have on the classic last that I have worn for six months or so. I can say that in my situation the creasing that occurs across the front when worn the first few times does not get worse over time. The shoe look pretty much the same as when I wore them the first few times (i.e. the leather is aging well).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

When I read the posts, I notice a lot of familiar contributors. Could some one give me a short crash course on StC? I currently have experience with Alden and EG. In contrast to EG which I believe is a better comparison, how does the sizing compare are the lasts generally sleeker than eg? From the photos I'vr seen the construction seems spot on. Are the considered to be more on par with eg,s top drawer offerings?

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I'm sitting at a traffic light so I'll make it brief. STC is compareable to EG TD in terms of quality and finishing - both are top notch. Both cost about the same but STC is hand welted. Generally, size up 1/2 for EG, whereas size up 1 for STC. I.e EG uk11.5e=us12d, STC uk11f=us12d

5. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Snowboots now broken in. Uppers are basically waterproof. Wish the soles were waterproof too.

1 person likes this.
  6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Looks great. Classic last?

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yes, based on the creasing alone, i find it difficult to distinguish a week old shoe from a 6 month old shoe. creases fast and then doesnt crease at all. good and bad i guess

thanks! looking forward to them.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

What kind of soles came with these?

Dainite?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I know the picture on the website is, however I spoke with them yesterday and you can get them in Dainite if you wish. They said I could, they are MTO.

I just wondered if it would change the look of the boot much if I ordered them with Dainite. I wouldn't think it would, but just checking.

11. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Snowboots with leather soles :facepalm:

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Well, that's why I would probably get them in Dainite if I decided to get them.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I think they are different beast, however I do find the sole of the Top Drawer better finished, all the leather patterns around the edge of the sole, the beveled waist. I find the old stock TD my dad has is far superior than any Top RTW shoes. it is a literally the level of pure bespoke work except the designed last.

14. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Those shoes are a four figure waste of resources if you are not able to order them with a rubber sole.
    Even Dainite soles are slippy in some wet/slushy conditions.
    Who ever created them with a leather sole to begin with obviously has never left his house in conditions that asked for heavy boots.

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

So please explain to me what do people wear for heavy snow before the invention of rubber sole and mass produced shoes. I don't think the snow kills, it is the salt on the pavements, a lot of times the pavement aren't even slippery enough to justify the extra grip.

But really, that is an obsession problem because at the end of the day you can always get the SC boot resole.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:bigstar:

17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I get the feeling you like this boot, no?[​IMG]

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

its kinda how I wanted my boot from meermin to come out. I tried emphasizing the height of the shaft but settled for a something relatively more conservative

[​IMG]
    snow-ready :thumbs-up:

19. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes, that would make a difference.

I do think I like this particular look with a toe cap best though.

20. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Back in those days people also traveld by horse buggy.
    Not eventhing in the past was better than it is now.
    Progress has it's good sides, quality rubber soles are one of them.

In foul weather conditions, in shoes with leather soles your feet will cool faster, they will get wet pretty easily and you will have less traction.
    Sure you can limit the damage to the soles if you care for them after every single wear, but it takes a lot of effort.

I agree with what fritzl told me, people care too much about design and too little about function.
    Seems as if most StC customers wear their boots more on carpets than outsides.
    In snow I'd much rather wear a rubber soled paprika than this StC monstrosity.

Also, spending $1000+ on a pair of RTW shoes only to threat them to a sole change right away :facepalm: