• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gusvs

Reaction score

Those are very elegant loafers...I really like the hand stitching and contrast stitching of the apron...I like that apron in general...and the shape of the last is very good for that loafer.

Is it the classic last?

I would buy those shoes...

Thanks. Yes, a modified classic last.

jkater1

Reaction score

They picked a bad pair as MTO sample - noticed the blemishing to the leather around the toe section of the right shoe. 
These would have been marked as Rejects if they were John Lobb shoes. 

Just my 2c. 

Good eye, I did not notice this and I'm usually pretty good at picking things like this up. I think with the marbled color it didn't jump out to me.

These "creases" are what's known as "fat wrinkles." As a general rule, they only appear in the shoulder and margins of the hide. Best practices dictates that vamps be cut from prime leather...in the best part of the hide--the kidney area. Prime on any hide is roughly one third the total square footage.

Thanks for the info. I assume that this will always be there and no product will be absorbed there? I would think that with the finishing that St Crispin did and it is still there it would always stay that way.

And....what is your point???? 

At $1700 a pair - there should be NO blemish, stretch marks around the Vamp. Period!!!!

I completely agree with this. I went home and checked my pair and it does not have the issues that the pictured one did have. If it did, I don't know if I could've got too upset since I did get them through their last pair page. I would expect a small company like them that says they use onlly top quality materials to not have this issue. But then again, I am an ignorant amerecaan.

Fiddler

Reaction score

So did you order a pair in 611 and ask for the antiquing or did you just mention wanting a final color and let them decide how to provide it for you?  Also would you mind linking me to a photo of it? 

Started off wanting something like a deep eggplant/ burgundy mix....but that was not possible....so they made it a bit darker while building them....but i think the reseller i bought from ended up polishing them with a lot of black.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Well, it's, at least to a certain degree, a handmade product made from natural materials, so there will always be incosistencies, wheter you can see them or not. Unlike EG or JL they don't increase their prices every 6 months and despite working in low income Romania their workers want to be paid and compared to the English makers they don't have the same upcharge in the US. They are a small company doing their best in producing nicely styled shoes and probably can't afford to accomodate every Americans wishes who dislikes the fact that nature still exists and has an influence on a natural product. Go and check the seats in you BMW and you will finde the same inconsistencies if you look closeley, the leather has only received a heavier chemical treatment. Or easier, just make yourself believe it's the sprezzatura you all love so much, it'll ease your mind.

We appreciate natural leather products has its flaws and blemishes.
We appreciate SC a small and well run workshop which keeps productions to a ceiling to maintain QC.
We appreciate SC produce one of the finest RTW set of shoes amongst its peers.
What we don't appreciate are sub-standard products that should not have left the factory QC department in the first place.
For goodness sake, stop comparing this product to a BMW. It's far superior.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My BMW is way nicer than a pair of StC's...

What planet are you from???

ezlau

Reaction score

Framed and hanged - sketch done by a friend of my Saint Crispin's

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Framed and hanged - sketch done by a friend of my Saint Crispin's

...if this isn't lifestyle dandyism, as defined by seeing the unnecessary stylistic trouble for the process alone, then nothing is. I have a Rubinacci handkerchief, one L. Fellows print and a portrait of Brummell hanging on the wall. This shuu portrait is unnervingly inspirational. My thumb goes out to your illustrative friend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads