• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leathersoul seamless was $2300 last fall. Mine was $2400 (vs $1800 I think) with pret then tax. Then showed up with seam :lol: since I confirmed a technically different model number even though order sheet said simply so not sure where miscommunication was

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leathersoul seamless was $2300 last fall. Mine was $2400 (vs $1800 I think) with pret then tax. Then showed up with seam :lol: since I confirmed a technically different model number even though order sheet said simply so not sure where miscommunication was

I hope you got money back! That happened once with StC. They put the wrong sole on a pair of boots. I was annoyed at first, but wasn't really out any money so I ignored it.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope you got money back! That happened once with StC. They put the wrong sole on a pair of boots. I was annoyed at first, but wasn't really out any money so I ignored it.

Yeah I think most of it back not sure exact pricing but it was close. I technically confirmed 114 in a darker 6972 from a photo by Ethan but we were also going off the purple simply they had on display. Didn't go to trunk show expecting to buy but damn shoes were too beautiful

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's how they getcha. Sounds like a nice pair of shoes.

Yeah in the end it was definitely worth it, pret fits like a dream

Shoe here when it was new:

Last edited:

500plus

Reaction score
Amazing boots jkater1!

Does anyone know how the Sailor last fits compared to the Classic?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got word that my first pair of St Crispin's came in. Can't wait for them to get here, here is a picture or it didn't happen.

6amemupa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent, great looking pair of boots.

Last edited:

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright:) look good.

Thanks man

First thought that sprang to mind for me as well.  That price difference puts you well on the way to a second pair of lovely St. C's.  That's how I'd choose to spend it.  Others may choose differently.

Total agree :nodding:

the StC seamless wholecut costs $2600.

seamless is cool...but you need to be an afficianado to want something like that over a side-seam

+1

Yeah in the end it was definitely worth it, pret fits like a dream

Shoe here when it was new:

Noice!

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm open for flogging but someone must write this: I cannot stand large grain leather in the same dressy pair with smooth, plain leather. Smooth ones are for business, grainy ones for rus in urbe and leisure. Something like "Russian leather" or willow calf is just about fine, but these shrunken calfskins and such... The stomach does grumble.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm open for flogging but someone must write this: I cannot stand large grain leather in the same dressy pair with smooth, plain leather. Smooth ones are for business, grainy ones for rus in urbe and leisure. Something like "Russian leather" or willow calf is just about fine, but these shrunken calfskins and such... The stomach does grumble.

There's no more reason to flog you for your personal preference than there is to flog others for theirs.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pardon me but this also needs to be said . . . . **** a bunch A rules that do nothing beneficial

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
***SOAPBOX RANT**********

I think what Ville brings up is an interesting topic that has caused a few ripples way back when with the older posters.

In the big picture view, everything is personal preference. So in that sense, nothing is wrong. Its your taste/money and you should wear whatever makes you happy. But if this site is to be viewed as an enthusiast community, where people come to teach and to learn, then there has to be a framework. No different than other enthusiasts communities (like watches, food etc). There is nothing wrong with a diamond encrusted Rolex, but I probably shouldn't wear it to my job interview at IBM.

Addressing Ville's post, there is a city/country difference in shoes, suits, shirts etc. There are also reasons for the differences, many of which have been hashed out here many times. If you choose to ignore them, that is perfectly fine (I ignore some myself) but you would benefit from knowing the "rule" in order to know how to break it. The great thing about classic menswear is that there is a large body of work that you can draw upon to see "correct" applications, and that the tools of our trade have remained unchanged for over 50 years. Suits/shirts/ties have pretty much remained the same for decades. You look at what people who are considered great dressers (past and present) wear and you take what you can from them. You adjust the choices to fit in with your lifestyle (unless you are a British aristocrat you probably can't get away with some of the Duke's outfits) and you start to develop your style from there. Its an evolving process, at least it has been for me. So what does this all have to do with what Ville said? Well, if there is no right or wrong and its just personal preference, there is no evolution. In that world, we are all great dressers, all of our choices are fine and there is nothing to learn. Scotch grain shoes are fine with a tuxedo, work boots with suits, captoes with jeans etc. What Ville is saying is that, historically (and presently), textured leathers are used in country settings. That does not mean that you have to be a slave to that "rule" but to say that its simply personal preference or a stupid rule, is spitting in the face of the Bruce Boyers/Alan Flussers/Duke/Cary Grant's etc etc etc.

Now I know that RogerP is not someone that I am ever going to see wearing sneakers with a suit and you do not need preaching to, so I know where your post is coming from but there are a lot of guys on here that have the "*******, this is my style" attitude even though they have a tremendous lack of style. WAYWN has become very similar to the AskAndy WAYWN that people here used to bemoan and that caused a lot of the Ask Andy people to come over here. There has to be more that "RoboKop!!! and everything being "Amazeballs!!!" for the forum to mean anything. Otherwise its just a mastubatory group exercise; all the purchases are great, all the applications of those purchases are great and everyone looks amazing.

Disclaimer: This is not a dig at the boots mentioned or at RogerP or at anyone that uses Amazeballs.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think what Ville brings up is an interesting topic that has caused a few ripples way back when with the older posters.

In the big picture view, everything is personal preference. So in that sense, nothing is wrong. Its your taste/money and you should wear whatever makes you happy. But if this site is to be viewed as an enthusiast community, where people come to teach and to learn, then there has to be a framework. No different than other enthusiasts communities (like watches, food etc). There is nothing wrong with a diamond encrusted Rolex, but I probably shouldn't wear it to my job interview at IBM.

Addressing Ville's post, there is a city/country difference in shoes, suits, shirts etc. There are also reasons for the differences, many of which have been hashed out here many times. If you choose to ignore them, that is perfectly fine (I ignore some myself) but you would benefit from knowing the "rule" in order to know how to break it. The great thing about classic menswear is that there is a large body of work that you can draw upon to see "correct" applications, and that the tools of our trade have remained unchanged for over 50 years. Suits/shirts/ties have pretty much remained the same for decades. You look at what people who are considered great dressers (past and present) wear and you take what you can from them. You adjust the choices to fit in with your lifestyle (unless you are a British aristocrat you probably can't get away with some of the Duke's outfits) and you start to develop your style from there. Its an evolving process, at least it has been for me. So what does this all have to do with what Ville said? Well, if there is no right or wrong and its just personal preference, there is no evolution. In that world, we are all great dressers, all of our choices are fine and there is nothing to learn. Scotch grain shoes are fine with a tuxedo, work boots with suits, captoes with jeans etc. What Ville is saying is that, historically (and presently), textured leathers are used in country settings. That does not mean that you have to be a slave to that "rule" but to say that its simply personal preference or a stupid rule, is spitting in the face of the Bruce Boyers/Alan Flussers/Duke/Cary Grant's etc etc etc.

Now I know that RogerP is not someone that I am ever going to see wearing sneakers with a suit and you do not need preaching to, so I know where your post is coming from but there are a lot of guys on here that have the "*******, this is my style" attitude even though they have a tremendous lack of style. WAYWN has become very similar to the AskAndy WAYWN that people here used to bemoan and that caused a lot of the Ask Andy people to come over here. There has to be more that "RoboKop!!! and everything being "Amazeballs!!!" for the forum to mean anything
. Otherwise its just a mastubatory group exercise; all the purchases are great, all the applications of those purchases are great and everyone looks amazing.

Worth repeating.

I thought that was extremely well said...and it applies to so many things and so many discussions across the board. Now, having said that, bear in mind that I am not a particularly good dresser. I've been known to wear a kilt on special occasions and an Ike jacket in lieu of a sports coat. But I like the way you think--I think the logic and the reasoning is unimpeachable.

Anyway that's just my opinion and probably carries little weight in this context...FWIW.

Nevertheless...

Good on ya, :cheers:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads