1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. wurger

wurger Senior member

What shoes did you wear in UK7? Saint Cripsins have very stiff leather and very hard to break in if the fit isn't perfect.

Didn't they have stock shoes for you to try on?

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Cusp as in the toe area? Do you have toe wiggle room? Or the upper is pushed against the top of your toes?

As to instep tightness, does it work for you if its not laced tightly?

I am usually JL 9EE and G&G 9.5F/G. But I am PRET size 8.5G with extra 5mm width added around the whole small toe area, as measured and recommend by Mr Car.

The result is not optimal; left and right toe is okay but ring toe is pressed against the edge of the toe and left ring toe is being pressed from the top by the upper.

It does give me a feeling that the toe box length is not long enough while the arch length is very good.

3. Xancatrius

Xancatrius Senior member

7 in GG actually.

The thing is I think my feet are somewhat weird, given how my toes arent flat, and somewhat curl up. This leads to the upper actually yes, pressing down on my toes, though i can very grudgingly say that there is toe wiggle room, though extremely minimal. And that only comes after i wear them for a while. Straight out of the shoe trees my left foot's toes are actually squashed in.

My entire left little toe and the ball of the foot on the side of the little toe is constantly compressed, causing pain. Doesn't matter if im walking, standing or sitting. That issue is always there.

If I don't lace my left shoe tightly, apart from the little toe, it's usually okay.

If I lace my left shoe tightly, all hell breaks loose on my left foot.

If I don't lace my right shoe tightly, the heel cup isn't secure and the heel of my foot ends up rubbing the upper part of the heel cup, causing a very dull pain.

If I lace my right shoe tightly, the upper presses down onto my instep.

Any ideas guys?

I'd visit a trunk show but there are no St C retailers in Singapore. School/Work is an issue and I can rarely ever find time to head to Hong Kong. Even then, there is no guarantee I can go when the trunk shows happen and philip flies down to HK.

When I told Ethan, he suggested conversing over email. However Ethan, experienced a fitter as he was, is now gone and I am not sure as to how good Alan or Jake are at handling fittings.

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

One thing that could cause problem is lacing the shoes too tightly; upper lacing will be pressed hard against the veins on the back of your feet and making them swell, thus causing shoes to feel tighter than they actually are.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think people that have issues wearing shoes isn't so much their sizing in a particular brand, but rather that they ruined their feet when they were younger shrouding them in plush environments all of their lives. I grew up wearing a lot of dress shoes and have no problems. I think it is just conditioning.

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

^+1

Not only is the foot physically unprepared for the confinement and various rigidities, the mind itself expects foam...pillows, dancing girls, hookas, and peeled grapes...and gets reality.

It's an unrealistic expectation and a poor (and unhealthy) standard of comfort.

--

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Thank you for not posting more pictures of your bang up feet injuries!!

I grew up wearing a lot of barefoot and have no problems with my bespokes shoes or gemmed shoes.

The mind just expect shoes cause no pain on feet. Nothing much. Especially shoes fitted by the experts.

8. DWFII

It's not just a question of pain although sometimes for feet accustomed to pillows, it is. It's a whole slew of aspects.

For instance, I began my career making western boots. Made and wore boots for 35+ years before I started making shoes. First time I put on a pair of my own shoes they rubbed a hole in my sock and skin at the back of the heel, toot sweet. I got blisters, IOW. Why? Because the pull-on boot does not have a heel stiffener that cups the heel of the foot the way a shoe does. My feet were tender at the back of the heel. My feet, my skin, had to "cowboy up"--to toughen up. When they did, I never had another problem...period.

Feet evolved to walk on rough and uneven terrain with no protection or covering. A "natural foot" would have probably a centimeter of callus on the bottom and sides of the foot.

Feet that have spent most of their lives walking on marshmallows cannot immediately deal with, and do not expect the vicissitudes of a leather shoe.

At bottom, the leather shoe is a form of armour to protect the foot from the worst of the environment. A running shoe is a form of swaddling.

--

1 person likes this.
  9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Just saying. Can't blame the customer when their feet hurting from last adjusted shoes.

Not hurting customers feet is and should be the common deniminator for proper shoe fit.

10. DWFII

^ +1

All other things being equal, I couldn't agree more. But there are feet than cannot...for whatever reason ...ever be free of pain even with perfectly fitting shoes.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just like pointing out that most people are big babies. :bigstar:

12. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Sounds to me like you need orthopedic shoes... probably need to see a doctor as opposed to a styleforum board.

13. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Ride em cowboy.... too bad St. C's doesn't make cowboy boots, then you'd have something meaningful to contribute.... :dozingoff:

14. DWFII

What have you contributed that's meaningful?...care to compare? "I'm your huckleberry..."

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

Gotta remember Cowboy boots are long pegged at the waist long before SC was founded... And I suspect DWFII has been making boots longer than SC as well abide much smaller quantity.

16. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Please - let us agree to bury the notion of St. C. cowboy boots in a deep, dark hole. :)

17. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

:revolve:

1 person likes this.
  18. DWFII

Ah! I see...you think the world revolves around you and that you can make disparaging remarks anytime and for no obvious, much less good, reason.

I suspect you're just another ignorant, know-nothing pretending to experience and knowledge you don't have.

No worries, you're not alone--there's a clubhouse around here somewhere.

[sigh] Why is it always the newbies?

--

19. DWFII

Thanks...

Nothing I said here was aimed at or even related to StC. Only someone looking for an issue would/could see it otherwise.

I don't know about StC but I have a pretty high regard for them...all other things being equal. But if what you say is true and I've been making boots longer than they've been making shoes, I've been making shoes longer too. I made my first pair (nothing I'm any too proud of) over 50 years ago.

20. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

My point exactly.