1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I would be so pissed if the vamp of my shoes was made of "fat wrinkles"...

It's like going to one of the best steakhouses in New York...ordering a Ribeye...and getting a plate full of fat trimmings and gristle! A $1700 plate!

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Didn't see this answered - I interviewed Phillip Car for a tv piece once, he told me the reason they decided to produce the shoes in Romania is because it'ss one of the few countries that still has existing schools for shoemakers.

1 person likes this.
  3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

It's also cause they can pay them next to nothing...

4. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I have listed these for sale in the SC anyone interested please send me an email, I have just never had a chance to wear these. [​IMG]

5. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

now Ian . . . . don't be so harsh. the man is clearly more intelligent & 'better' than the rest of us,
    particularly if you are a stoopid amerikan. let go of the rope, sit back and allow Geronimo the opportunity to
    school us on class or conduct one or just perform a mental masturbation dance

either way, grab your popcorn, watch the show
    . . . . s/he'll tell us everything we need to know in due time. suggestion over now

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Thanks for keeping me in check @SoGent

Popcorn in hand :lurk:

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

As a general rule, yes. But I've seen smaller skins with fat wrinkles...depends on the animal. The moment the animal is up and moving around (after birth) fat wrinkles begin to set in as the neck and shoulder are moved. Short of what Thornton termed "milk calf" I suspect that the leather derived from any grazing animal...at any age...will have some degree of fat wrinkling.

Now having said that, I reiterate...best practices dictates that the vamps be cut from the prime areas, which, again amount to only a third of the hide not including the shoulder.

So, it begs the question, doesn't it? If one pair of vamps is cut from the kidney area (prime) and another pair (or two) is cut from marginal leather, does a maker charge less for shoes made from non-prime areas such as the shoulder? Do they make it clear to the customer?

To be fair, shoulder isn't necessarily waste. If I were making a pair of shoes for knock-around usage, for myself, I wouldn't hesitate to use carefully inspected shoulder for the quarters and maybe even the vamps. For instance, I have some left over Annonay French Calf that has already had a prime cutting removed--a pair of clear, pristine vamps for whole cut oxfords. What's left is over the rib cage and in the shoulder and does have fat wrinkles, but is otherwise pretty good quality leather.

Personally, I don't think I could, in good conscience, even offer that leather to the customer...much less charge him like it was prime. But seeing as how I paid exactly the same dollars per square foot for the shoulder as the butt I am not going to throw it away either. I'll use it...if only for fitter's models.

Of course cutting for maximum usage of the hide (regardless of quality) is common practice in all factory work. The marginal leather is paid for at the same rate as the prime. And throwing leather away is exactly the same as throwing money away. You can't afford to do that when you're trying to maximize profit and keep prices competitive with other makers who occupy the same niche.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

You can ask them to lay some heavy antiquing on it and it will be much darker...I chose that route.

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

To be honest, I think virtually all well-known brands will not use only prime parts for their RTW or MTO shoes.

10. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Received these yesterday :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Those are beautiful @gusvs , congrats!

13. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Thanks guys! I'm very satisfied with how they came out!

14. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Yes of course you are correct. It was meant to be a kind of joke. For me the St.C's will be much nicer than my existing collection (to include some MTOs I'm still waiting for) so it's easy to think I should just offload everything else and make them the new standard. I'll try to hold out until I receive my first order before ordering anymore, maybe.
    Thank you. So did you order a pair in 611 and ask for the antiquing or did you just mention wanting a final color and let them decide how to provide it for you? Also would you mind linking me to a photo of it?

15. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very cool combination!!!

16. meister

meister Senior member

beautiful loafers! Love the mild spade sole.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  17. Dagon

Dagon Active Member

Great smoky brown colour.

18. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Those are very elegant loafers...I really like the hand stitching and contrast stitching of the apron...I like that apron in general...and the shape of the last is very good for that loafer.

Is it the classic last?

I would buy those shoes...

19. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Thank you Giannni, the only problem buying these makes of shoes is when it comes to selling them no one wants to know! Not like my JL, EG or C&J which sell within minutes! LOL

20. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Yesterday I had not seen ... I'm really beautiful and I like the proportions much.