• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

St. andrews suits

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fans or admirers of the ultra-rare St. Andrews suits, check out this line-up of new ones on EBay. Straight from Bergdorf's. 75% off too. Very tempting for me -- I've got 3 St. A's suits and they are incredible -- the best I've got. http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws....&stab=0

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kabert,

These are A. Harris's auctions, so you know they are quality. On the St. Andrews, how does the shoulder sit? The auction says it has absolutely no shoulder padding, and I'm wondering if you've gotta be a linebacker to give it a nice silhouette?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is some padding in mine, but it's thin. I'm not sure the "padding" is padding like you'd find in a Brioni suit either -- I think it is mostly just some additional fabric that is sewn in to give the shoulder structure. You'd never know looking at the suit that there is not a piece of padding, as the line where the sleeve attaches to the shoulder is slightly raised (roped) and the overall line is very smooth and elegant. The suits most definitely do not have "no padding" in the sense that your dress shirts also don't have padding. There's plenty of fabric there to give you the look and feel of some (just the right amount, IMO) padding. They are great suits. Incidentally, $699 is a great price. Mine all had Bergdorf price tags on them of $2,700 when I bought them at Filene's Basement for $599 (an unbelievable steal IMO).

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen it at two of them, from a big shipment of Bergdorf Goodman clothes they got in after the post-Christmas sales -- in late January or early February IIRC. The one where I bought the suits was in Washington, DC on Connecticut Avenue (near Burberry's, the Mayflower hotel, etc.). I've also seen (and bought) St. A's slacks at that store and at the Mazza Gallerie store, which is also in DC on upper Wisconsin Avenue (near the Maryland line). In fact, the labels in these EBay auctions are the same as the labels in the ones I got.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you mind posting pics of you in the SA jacket? It would be better than a manequin. I am keenly interested in the 38R auction.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry JN, I've never uploaded pix from my digital camera. My wife always does it and she'd give me too much crap if I told her this was the reason. Here's the St. Andrews' website: http://www.saintandrews.it/eng/index.htm Also, I haven't looked but I suppose the Bergdorf-Goodman website might have some pictures of 'em.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kabert described the shoulder very well. There is of course the canvas in front, plus perhaps one more layer of fabric. In back there is a couple of layers of fabric to equal the thickness in front. Not padding persay, but not just the suiting fabric either. Their is also just a bit of padding in the top of the sleeve to give the shoulders a bit of a rope.

It is an extremely nice shoulder. I kept one of these myself. I've only ever seen this cut on the SA suits from Bergdorf.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Touche. Thanks for the website. Very cool. How close would a RLPL be to the SA that A. Harris is selling?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not at all close - it's a completely different cut. IN the first few seasons the RLPL cuts, while different than this SA, were VERY nice. Lately I just find them ridiculous.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the you answered my question, Andrew. So this is not like a RLPL. Geez, you know, I've gotta be honest. The suit is in my price range, but I'm still just torn about whether to put my money into Chan MTMs or a SA, Oxxford, or similar at a 7-800 price point.

dorian

Reaction score
drew, why do you say rlpl is ridiculous? the cut, fabric....?

btw, some one at bergdorf's was trying to convince me (i still didn't believe it) that ralph lauren bought st. andrew's so he could have direct control over his pl suits. can anyone corroborate this?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked at the St. Andrews but bought the Barbera gray flannel. For those of us who live in the Midwest, it's really unusual to find a high-quality flannel suit on EBay, let alone Barbera. It's also very rare to find a St. Andrews suit on EBay in a selection of sizes.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not at all close - it's a completely different cut. IN the first few seasons the RLPL cuts, while different than this SA, were VERY nice. Lately I just find them ridiculous.
Why are they ridiculous? (Curiosity has gotten the best of me)

Okay, the sleeves are way too high, showing over an inch of cuff; but other than that...

Jon.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He was doing a cut that while still fairly soft in the shoulders, was EXTREMELY tapered in the waist. For instance, several of the size 40L coats I had measured 42-43" in the chest and 36-37" in the waist.. Standard difference between chest and waist measurements is 2-4", not 6-7". I've never seen anything with that much waist suppression. Now he seems to be doing a cut with much wider shoulders, a lot of padding, and with a very suppressed waist, not as much as before, but still more than just about everything else on the market. It's very dramatic, and not to my taste (not that my taste is the final word of course.)

As for Ralph Lauren buying St. Andrew's - I haven't heard anything about that but I haven't been subscribed to DNR for a while. I suppose it's within the realm of possibility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads