squats

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by sprinter, May 19, 2010.

1. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Just depends on the individual. Too many variables for a blanket statement.
    There's a little guy (meaning short) at the gym who squats 465 for 6 in Chuck's...

I squat in Chuck's or barefeet (when the gym staff doesn't yell at you. But my 1 RM for squats is only 300.

Speaking of which... today is leg day.

You have me there, but I also have a ton of knee and foot issues from my college football days, so something like a pair of Chucks would just makes it more painful for me the day after.

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

What do you squat in?

3. Superfluous Man

Superfluous Man Senior member

Not when you are loading over 350+lbs! I also think depending on your range of motion going A2G isn't always appropriate or necessary. I wanna see you guys squat 400lbs A2G and not have any knee issues...
    You'll have to elaborate why you feel Chucks or similar hard sole shoes are bad for lifting heavy. Would also like to know why you think doing A2G with proper form would increase the probability of injury when lifting heavy as opposed to (insert technique here).

4. paraiso

paraiso Senior member

I actually wear Vibram 5 Fingers in the gym, so they're totally flat. I really like how they make me feel rooted to the floor under the bar. I'm so much more stable in them and I can go deeper without any balance issues (no squishy soles moving around underneath me).

I run in Vibrams. I squat in Adidas Rod Lavers.

When I squat a lot I get a pain in my knee that's not too different from the pain I get in my elbow when I do a lot of dips. It's not as bad as yours but it is sharp and it is uncomfortable. Maybe you need to back off a bit when you start feeling that type of pain. Or maybe consult with a PL coach and see if your form is up to par. Good luck anyhow.

5. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Ross's programs are generally based on you already being a fit, strong motherfucker with good work capacity. He's a boxing trainer.

I understand where you are coming from but I am not sure I agree completely.

I think Ross's programs require a level of intensity and commitment that is perhaps inconsistent with 99.99% of the average cell-phone talking, futzing around, talking 10 minutes between sets gymgoer. You can do the intensity with the weights that you are comfortable with. Ross may push the heavy weights but he has progressions for all his more difficult exercises like ab rollouts, etc. so that even relative newbies can access them if they are committed.

Plus, he puts a heavy emphasis on conditioning (obviously crucial for fighters) which I think everyone should also pay attention to.

Just fyi, I am a keen follower of Ross' training principles even though I am 5'6" 130lbs, i.e., like a lightweight fighter. I can DB press over my bodyweight for reps and bench close to 2X my bodyweight. I'm not the strongest guy in the gym, but pound for pound, I'm not too shabby. I don't have genetics, talent, etc. but do have intensity, commitment and dedication in spades and that has helped me follow Ross' training methods.

Plus, I will be 44 in September, so some of you young pups shouldn't complain too much... J/K... [​IMG]

6. AFG34

AFG34 Senior member

i go low enough so the top of my thigh is parallel to floor
    and i don't 'stop' at bottom

also friend told me to hold it at the top for 5-10 seconds for endurance (cardiovascular training..works your heart)

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Just fyi, I am a keen follower of Ross' training principles even though I am 5'6" 130lbs, i.e., like a lightweight fighter. I can DB press over my bodyweight for reps and bench close to 2X my bodyweight.

Did you know less than 1% of the weight training population will reach your level?

8. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I understand where you are coming from but I am not sure I agree completely.

I think Ross's programs require a level of intensity and commitment that is perhaps inconsistent with 99.99% of the average cell-phone talking, futzing around, talking 10 minutes between sets gymgoer. You can do the intensity with the weights that you are comfortable with. Ross may push the heavy weights but he has progressions for all his more difficult exercises like ab rollouts, etc. so that even relative newbies can access them if they are committed.

Plus, he puts a heavy emphasis on conditioning (obviously crucial for fighters) which I think everyone should also pay attention to.

Just fyi, I am a keen follower of Ross' training principles even though I am 5'6" 130lbs, i.e., like a lightweight fighter. I can DB press over my bodyweight for reps and bench close to 2X my bodyweight. I'm not the strongest guy in the gym, but pound for pound, I'm not too shabby. I don't have genetics, talent, etc. but do have intensity, commitment and dedication in spades and that has helped me follow Ross' training methods.

Plus, I will be 44 in September, so some of you young pups shouldn't complain too much... J/K... [​IMG]

Just curious, by DB press do you mean DB bench press or the combined weight for shoulder presses?

9. Kas

Kas Senior member

Started doing squats last week again. Felt empowered right after the workout, fatigue set in after an hour, felt like my central nervous centrum was fried - a McCNS.

By the way, Scrumhalf - if you are training for martial arts, I don't think benching is as good as overhead pressing.

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Not when you are loading over 350+lbs! I also think depending on your range of motion going A2G isn't always appropriate or necessary. I wanna see you guys squat 400lbs A2G and not have any knee issues...

As I understand knee issues, the problem with NOT going A2G is that you are putting stress on the KNEE at the bottom. Essentially the knee takes a lot of the pressure as you change from going downward to going upward. With A2G, your muscle fibers are naturally stretching and reaching maximum stretch at the bottom, in a way keeping you stable and pulling you back upwards, removing the unnecessary knee pressure. So A2G is better for your knees than the shallower alternative.

Here, I found a relevant section from Starting Strength:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

If any of you have used or seen pro squatting shoes like Otomix... you'll note they are far more similar to, say, Chucks, than not.

12. LucasCLarson

LucasCLarson Senior member

Here, I found a relevant section from Starting Strength:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amen, brother.

If any of you have used or seen pro squatting shoes like Otomix... you'll note they are far more similar to, say, Chucks, than not.

Truth. Whoever said chucks were bad for squatting was talking out of their ass.

Personally, I wear Nike Free Sparq schoes. The sole is about as flat as a cross-training shoe comes and is more supportive than the other Frees. I just don't want to have to bring two different pairs of shoes to the gym. Otherwise, I'd own chucks or a pair of weightlifting shoes. Lifting shoes are also very expensive.

13. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Just curious, by DB press do you mean DB bench press or the combined weight for shoulder presses?

I mean DB bench press. I can bench press 75lb dumbbells for 8 reps at 130lbs bodyweight. I can get about 4 reps with the 80lb dumbbells if I can get a spot for the 1st rep to get the DBs off my chest.

I've been starting to work on my handstand pushup. I am focusing on negatives right now to build up my shoulder strength as I've had rotator cuff trouble in the past and the HSPU puts pretty significant demands on shoulder strength.

14. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

By the way, Scrumhalf - if you are training for martial arts, I don't think benching is as good as overhead pressing.

No man, I am too old to get hit... [​IMG]...

I just follow Ross' methods because I am very impressed by his philosophy of training for strength and conditioning. I believe I get to most of my goals using his general training philosophy. These primarily include bodyweight benchmarks like doing a one handed pullup, a muscleup and making it through the planche and front lever progressions (for now.. [​IMG])

15. gyea

gyea Well-Known Member