1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SquareFail; or, The Most Common Reason Why You Look Like Hell

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 4, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Wool/silk PS :)

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know I have the same one...and in two other colorways :) I love the square, I just can't bring myself to wear it in summer. And I wouldn't wear a linen tie in winter.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive worn a linen (dark chocolate brown only) tie in November and that same PS in the summer.

4. SpooPoker

Right, useless without pics, so :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Like the drake square but only in fall/winter. Never with linen.

As to the ones above, the last one is OK, and I am 50/50 on the third one, figures are a little to tie like but it's not ugly. Too match with that tie, though.

The others, naturally, I don't like at all.

6. unbelragazzo

1- I think this illustrates to me the problems with having a loud square and everything else very sedate. To me you have the shot-in-the-chest-with-a-paint-ball-gun-on-the-way-to-work look here just a little bit

2- not bad, but a little matchy with the purple and even though the scales are different, difficult I think to wear neat tie w dotted square. And illustrates the difficulty of dotted square generally.

3 - don't like tie, especially with everything else that's here....seems like more of an odd jacket tie

4&5 - very nice IMHO. Tie in 4 is attolini?

6- cant put my finger on it but doesn't feel quite right to me. Is shirt pink?

(sorry misnumbered original post b/c I left out 3...Freudian slip...)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I think a bit more can be fleshed out about complementary colors, in order to give people better direction.

• Classic combinations are always complementary. These include mixes of blue, grey, brown, and white - pick any two, and they're complementary.
    • One can also utilize the color wheel - picking colors adjacent to each other, or on opposite sides. Two tones of blue are complementary to each other, just as is blue with rust orange.
    • One can also rely on seasonal or familial groups - such as fall colors or summer colors, though this is much more subjective and harder to pull off.

Many examples here seem like they could do better by trying to second or third technique. Instead of picking the exact same shade of green, choose a different shade (e.g. Spoo's last example), or pick something from the same family (e.g. green with brown, brown with burgundy, orange with brown).

Some examples

Color wheel (first one an example of blue and yellow, which sit on opposite sides of the wheel; second being two different tones of blue; third being two different shades of green)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same family (burgundy with sand, green with brown)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  8. SpooPoker

Im OK with this.

Thanks man -

4 is an Attolini, and the shirt in 5 is lilac.

9. unbelragazzo

I think it's the lilac (spring/summer) shirt with the maddery (fall/winter) square that's throwing me.

10. SpooPoker

Yah, that shirt should have been blue. But the (flannel) suit has purple stripes. I thought it was cute.

11. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Is it ever appropriate to fold a cotton square in the same fashion as you would a silk one?

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

If it's a print. The only good cotton prints I have ever seen are the drake Moghuls.

13. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

I dug it, Spoo.

1 person likes this.
  14. unbelragazzo

yea i think blue shirt and i like it a lot more

15. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

This poof was terribly puffed.

16. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

As a comparison, I think most of the squares in Spoo's pics above actually show pretty good poofing. Not the whale looking one, though.

17. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

The foopoof is really quite artful, though unlike foo, I'm not offended by the gdl monkey fist either.

18. SpooPoker

I loved that whale :(

19. TexasDan

TexasDan Senior member

Does the prohibition against squares with small dots apply if wearing and odd jacket or blazer without a tie?

20. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

gdl's aren't as much poofs as they are poofs folded over. It's generally the only thing I ever dislike in his outfits. They lack the "I worked very hard to make this square look like I didn't work very hard putting it in my pocket" appearance that I think a square requires.