SquareFail; or, The Most Common Reason Why You Look Like Hell

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The question is, do you think it works or don't you? I do. Four pieces with the intensity of the square would be nuts, IMO.

If one wants historical suport, this was a very common Astaire look: solid suit, solid or candy striped shirt, very simple tie, large patterned square in an unrelated color, puffed.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Do I think it works? No.

Do I like it? Sort of.

The tie/shirt/suit are fantastic together - I would wear the same any day of the week. If I wore the same and was forced to choose a square, a yellow foulard print would not be my first choice. Id likely veer towards a navy blue based print, and if it were fall, the drakes unicorn wool silk would be my first and only choice.

3. Manton

it's not a yellow foulard, it's the rubinacci HMS Victory in many colors. There is no yellow but there is some dull gold.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have that one too. Good one.

What are your thoughts for this fit in October with the Drakes unicorn with navy ground?

[​IMG]

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Linen tie on wool PS is a fail IMHO

6. SpooPoker

Wool/silk PS :)

7. unbelragazzo

I know I have the same one...and in two other colorways :) I love the square, I just can't bring myself to wear it in summer. And I wouldn't wear a linen tie in winter.

8. SpooPoker

Ive worn a linen (dark chocolate brown only) tie in November and that same PS in the summer.

9. SpooPoker

Right, useless without pics, so :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Manton

Like the drake square but only in fall/winter. Never with linen.

As to the ones above, the last one is OK, and I am 50/50 on the third one, figures are a little to tie like but it's not ugly. Too match with that tie, though.

The others, naturally, I don't like at all.

11. unbelragazzo

1- I think this illustrates to me the problems with having a loud square and everything else very sedate. To me you have the shot-in-the-chest-with-a-paint-ball-gun-on-the-way-to-work look here just a little bit

2- not bad, but a little matchy with the purple and even though the scales are different, difficult I think to wear neat tie w dotted square. And illustrates the difficulty of dotted square generally.

3 - don't like tie, especially with everything else that's here....seems like more of an odd jacket tie

4&5 - very nice IMHO. Tie in 4 is attolini?

6- cant put my finger on it but doesn't feel quite right to me. Is shirt pink?

(sorry misnumbered original post b/c I left out 3...Freudian slip...)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I think a bit more can be fleshed out about complementary colors, in order to give people better direction.

• Classic combinations are always complementary. These include mixes of blue, grey, brown, and white - pick any two, and they're complementary.
    • One can also utilize the color wheel - picking colors adjacent to each other, or on opposite sides. Two tones of blue are complementary to each other, just as is blue with rust orange.
    • One can also rely on seasonal or familial groups - such as fall colors or summer colors, though this is much more subjective and harder to pull off.

Many examples here seem like they could do better by trying to second or third technique. Instead of picking the exact same shade of green, choose a different shade (e.g. Spoo's last example), or pick something from the same family (e.g. green with brown, brown with burgundy, orange with brown).

Some examples

Color wheel (first one an example of blue and yellow, which sit on opposite sides of the wheel; second being two different tones of blue; third being two different shades of green)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same family (burgundy with sand, green with brown)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  13. SpooPoker

Im OK with this.

Thanks man -

4 is an Attolini, and the shirt in 5 is lilac.

14. unbelragazzo

I think it's the lilac (spring/summer) shirt with the maddery (fall/winter) square that's throwing me.

15. SpooPoker

Yah, that shirt should have been blue. But the (flannel) suit has purple stripes. I thought it was cute.