• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

square-toed black shoes

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there was a thread a while back where someone posted pics from a sears catalogue from the early 1900s. the drawings of men modeling suits showed them wearing square-toed black shoes, something many people on this board despise.

i went to the l.a. county museum of art on friday, and saw a painting from 1834, "alexander masterton and his wife and children" by the scotsman william hamilton.

the subject matter was a portrait of a nobleman or statesman with his wife, two daughters, and two boys. they are outiside in a park or the grounds of a large estate, next to a pond where the boys are fishing. they are all wearing square-toed black shoes.

i just thought i'd mention this because i know there are some people who seek historical justification for their opinions on clothing and matters of style.

here's a link to see shoes from that period: http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/m...500791&type=70

edited for accuracy.

Morris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
there was a thread a while back where someone posted pics from a sears catalogue from the early 1900s. the drawings of men modeling suits showed them wearing square-toed black shoes, something many people on this board despise.

Very nice post. However, it is somewhat of a blanket statement to say many here despise square-toed black shoes. I find there is a sea of difference between these ... one elegant, the other not.

RLPL Mackay / EG

B000B73XI8.01-A1T5FLMGQ4PRAI._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kenneth Cole New Yorker

B0007TRM4Q.01-AI72NJ5OCL0UP._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
many here like 'chiseled toe' shoes, but detest the stacy adams/kenneth cole square shoes.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I don't like chisel-toes... but yeah, overly squared toes are bad.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the exaggerated kenneth cole types are sometimes referred to as duckbill toes, to differentiate themselves from the proper chisel-cut square toe shoes.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
the exaggerated kenneth cole types are sometimes referred to as duckbill toes, to differentiate themselves from the proper chisel-cut square toe shoes.

the point of this thread is that there is nothing more proper about a chisel-toe than there is about a flat-out square toe, at least not in the historical sense.

the point here is that while everyone here may dislike the square-toe, or 'duckbill', it has an historical precedent.

i bring this up only because there are certain members here, who when involved in a discussion about whether or not a certain look is 'correct', seek to justify their position by using historical precedents.

crazy.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I would group this in the same category as "won't wear jeans because Cary Grant didn't." Historical precedent is only one datum; current suitability and objective aesthetics are IMO more important.

Tom

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think these KC look that bad. Maybe too much of a sole extension.

!luc

turbozed

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd agree with the whole "objective aesthetic" argument. Just based on what we know from history, fashion seems to be one of the things that changes frequently. Who is to say what looks objectively better? Most of it is just social norms and subjective beliefs. Square toed shoes are still very popular sellers so a lot of people still wear them and they don't buy them thinking "my god these are objectively ugly but oh well...." Of course, there are some styles that will stand the test of time better than others. Maybe squared toes fit into this category. Aesthetics are almost always subjective.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
I don't know if I'd agree with the whole "objective aesthetic" argument. Just based on what we know from history, fashion seems to be one of the things that changes frequently. Who is to say what looks objectively better? Most of it is just social norms and subjective beliefs. Square toed shoes are still very popular sellers so a lot of people still wear them and they don't buy them thinking "my god these are objectively ugly but oh well...." Of course, there are some styles that will stand the test of time better than others. Maybe squared toes fit into this category. Aesthetics are almost always subjective.
You're right, I worded that poorly. To my eye, some things look better than others, such as long sensuous curves over blocky angles. There are some exceptions; shoes are not one.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Square-toed Kenneth Coles are very "5 years ago." Quality shoes shouldn't seem as dated as they do, so that's a good sign that they are not quality shoes.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of square-toed loafers that I wear as work shoes - Ecco and Steve Madden. I avoid wearing my nicer shoes to work because I have a tendency of scratching them on my darn chair for some reason. But I digress.

Square toes are not nearly as nice as the chiseled toe - a fact that I've discovered in the past months when presented with JLs, EGs, hell, any decent mid-to-high end shoe. They serve their purpose but I wouldn't suggest ever paying 200 bucks for one.. much nicer (read: sexier) can be had at that price point.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morris
Very nice post. However, it is somewhat of a blanket statement to say many here despise square-toed black shoes. I find there is a sea of difference between these ... one elegant, the other not.

RLPL Mackay / EG

B000B73XI8.01-A1T5FLMGQ4PRAI._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kenneth Cole New Yorker

B0007TRM4Q.01-AI72NJ5OCL0UP._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think there's something rather sacriligeous in calling an 888 last shoe a "square toed black shoe" and posting it with a Kenneth Cole duckbill monstrosity.

Then again, I suppose you could say that SF and GQ.com are both fora where you get advice about clothing, so a rose by any other name...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Calm down, jose. He said himself that there's a difference between them. One is tacky, the other not. Both of them ARE technically squared off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads