• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

square toe shoes

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CopeIt
This is a rule because....?

Let me clarify that I am a 24 year old American interviewing for scientific research positions in, of all places, Texas.

In that case, cowboy boots will work just fine.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Square-toed cowboy boots!

Paging Eric Glennie!

CopeIt

Reaction score
So you are saying I should wear these boots with my suit?

cowgirl-boots.jpg

I wear them quite often but only as casual wear. I didn't think they were appropriate in a professional setting but I have never been one to understand fashion.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captoe + Bicycle toe??? WTF?!?!

I think on this forum, people for the most part hate square toes, but they generally only hate those that have sharp inelegant edges, which makes the shoe look like a brick. There are square-ish toed shoes that are nice and would be accepted. For instance see the Branchini link in my sig. Those have been sold btw, so I am not trying to sell anything, just give reference as to something that I think is nice, but still essentially a square toe shoe vs. a garrish Kenneth Cole/J&M/etc...

Reckoner

Reaction score
If the shoes are your typical black with black laces ... then I can't really tell the difference whether they are round or squared toed ... I just see black shoes and couldn't care less.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please ignore the Rockport name for a second and tell me if this would be considered one of the frowned upon "square toe" styles. Newbie here...will probably have pictures of a poorly fitting cheap suit to be commented on later.

pG01-3189405_alternate3_p275w.png

I wouldn't say that's square-toe, more just a chisel-toe, they're still pretty ugly though. Then again I don't really like anything with a split-toe, regardless of whether they're made by Rockport or by C&J or EG...

dsmolken

Reaction score
So you are saying I should wear these boots with my suit?

cowgirl-boots.jpg

I wear them quite often but only as casual wear. I didn't think they were appropriate in a professional setting but I have never been one to understand fashion.

The contrast between the vamps and shafts is too much, plus the saddle vamp has an equestrian provenance which could be seen as too casual unless your job involves researching livestock. Heh.

I worked at a research lab in Texas for a few years, and while almost everyone from the janitors to the engineers was Texan, all the higherups were carpetbaggers. Odds are you will be interviewed by some kind of a Yankee.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I wouldn't say that's square-toe, more just a chisel-toe, they're still pretty ugly though. Then again I don't really like anything with a split-toe, regardless of whether they're made by Rockport or by C&J or EG...

Whilst I'm not keen, I've seen much worse.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's head and shoulders above the OP's shoe (square toes, bicycle stitching, slip on w/elastic...so wrong for so many reasons). This shoe is really a chisel toe, more than a square. Many here don't like a split toe, but this does not signal the coming of the end like the first one does. You could do better, even at that price point, but I don't think this will draw negative attention at an interview.

Please ignore the Rockport name for a second and tell me if this would be considered one of the frowned upon "square toe" styles. Newbie here...will probably have pictures of a poorly fitting cheap suit to be commented on later.

pG01-3189405_alternate3_p275w.png

http://www.rockport.com/product/inde...entPage=family

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Yeah, that's head and shoulders above the OP's shoe (square toes, bicycle stitching, slip on w/elastic...so wrong for so many reasons). This shoe is really a chisel toe, more than a square. Many here don't like a split toe, but this does not signal the coming of the end like the first one does. You could do better, even at that price point, but I don't think this will draw negative attention at an interview.

The split toes definitely wouldn't draw ANY attention when interviewing for a scientific research position in Texas...

I have friends who've landed research positions wearing short sleeved button down shirts, dockers, and something similar to these....

ff_ia61844.jpg

Please don't buy those ^ or the J&M's you linked before.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
The contrast between the vamps and shafts is too much, plus the saddle vamp has an equestrian provenance which could be seen as too casual unless your job involves researching livestock.

Isn't the cowboy boot originally a very dressy riding boot. One that only rich people could afford? I would think "proper" cowboy boots with narrow toes and slanted heels would be more dressy than say a pair of ropers or wellingtons?

I agree on the color contrast issue though, and I think maybe dark brown is better than black for wearing with a suit to an interview.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Isn't the cowboy boot originally a very dressy riding boot. One that only rich people could afford? I would think "proper" cowboy boots with narrow toes and slanted heels would be more dressy than say a pair of ropers or wellingtons?
Sure, proper cowboy boots are more dressy than ropers etc. And my reply wasn't really serious. But it is true that the boots I've seen with saddle vamps were generally less formal... you see them on buckaroo boots which are basically workboots, and on cheaper exotic boots which don't use enough exotic skin for the whole vamp.

I'm not sure if it's an official rule, that's just what I've seen people wearing in Texas. But I think this would be a good example of a really dressy cowboy boot: http://www.sheplers.com/mens/handcrafted/034181.html

Here, for comparison, is a buckaroo boot with a big spur shelf, saddle vamp, pull holes, tall slanted heel and double leather sole. All useful modern features if you actually work on horseback, but they seem to make the boot less formal:
http://www.sheplers.com/mens/handcrafted/036251.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads