• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square-toe shoe confusion

mc71

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. Forgive me
if I have posted this in the wrong thread.

My wife and I went to the mall today to look for a casual/dressy shoe
that would go well with jeans. I usually wear sneakers with my
jeans but I thought that I get something a little more dressier
(but not too dressy) to wear with my jeans. We went to
Aldo and I ended up buying a dress loafer which
my wife thought looked sexy on me. I however had my doubts but
bought it anyway since my wife loved it.

When I arrived home I decided to check out some reviews (
maybe I should have done that before I bought the shoes) online
and was surprised to see the amount of negative comments regarding
"square-toe" shoes. Now I'm not sure if my shoes qualify as
"square-toed" or not? It definitely has a square look to it
and would like to hear your opinions and if you guys think
I should return them or not? Here's the link of the shoes
I bought:

http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/men/...15-michaeli/22

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

twistoffat

Reaction score
I would classify those as somewhere in between and not totally square although on or two of the top ones are. To be honest the shoes in the link you posted I find personally Ugly. If you and your wife like them then what the hell. Next time you need shoes you could always post the potential pair here for to get some feedback

mc71

Reaction score
Thanks for advice. For me I really don't have an opinion on it. I really don't know if it;s good or bad in the eyes of the general public. And by judging the majority of the posts on this website and a few others I've seen, it seems that most people hate the squared-toe shoes. Sure my wife thinks it looks great but if most people think it's crap, then you know I will kind of feel awkward and uncomforable wearing them. Anyway I still got me receipt in case I change my mind. Anyone else like to give your input on this, I would love to hear what you have to say too.

Will C.

Reaction score
While not quite as phantasmagorically grotesque as a square-toed pair can be, those are fully-fledged duck-bill shoes my friend.

Kslim

Reaction score
Happy wife = happy life.

mc71

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
While not quite as phantasmagorically grotesque as a square-toed pair can be, those are fully-fledged duck-bill shoes my friend.

Lol. Never thought of the shoes like that but thanks for your honesty.
smile.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your wife has terrible taste. Sorry. I hope she's better at sex than picking out shoes.

mc71

Reaction score
So can anyone suggest what casual/dressy shoes would go well with jeans? I normally wear boot cut jeans with a fitted long-sleeved shirt.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mc71
So can anyone suggest what casual/dressy shoes would go well with jeans? I normally wear boot cut jeans with a fitted long-sleeved shirt.
Get dark straight leg jeans, preferably selvedge because they last longer. Boot cuts are relics of the 90s. Straight legs don't go out of style. Streetwear can help you. As far as shoes: chukkas, boots, loafers and classic sneakers.

julius12

Reaction score
Generally, you should always avoid square-toed, pointy-toed, and the combination of these two, the chisel-toed. But also avoid too rounded and bulky. Look at the shoe collection pics, particularly the dress shoes.

Also people here hate Aldo. I have a nice pair though.

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mc71
Thanks for advice. For me I really don't have an opinion on it. I really don't know if it;s good or bad in the eyes of the general public. And by judging the majority of the posts on this website and a few others I've seen, it seems that most people hate the squared-toe shoes. Sure my wife thinks it looks great but if most people think it's crap, then you know I will kind of feel awkward and uncomforable wearing them. Anyway I still got me receipt in case I change my mind. Anyone else like to give your input on this, I would love to hear what you have to say too.

How apropos. You should check out the thread entitled, "Should you let your wife or girlfriend buy your clothes?"

Here's the deal; you're in a Mexican Standoff. You haven't developed/defined your personal style yet, so that's why you don't have an opinion about the shoes. Regarding those shoes, while I don't pretend to speak for others, I'm fairly confident that the vast majority of members on this forum will find those shoes, well, atrocious.

However, if you tell your wife that you're returning the shoes because you polled a bunch of no-name guys that you don't know on some obscure men's style internet forum, she may take offense to it. She may feel that you value the opinions of a bunch of strangers over hers. That is a recipe for disaster. If you leave out the internet part and just tell her you're not sure you like the shoes, she may press you for what you do like, and, if you can't come up with something, you'll risk offending her again--you don't know what you like, but what she likes isn't good enough (or something to that effect). In either case, you both lose. Hence, the Mexican Standoff.

My suggestion; the shoes are cheap, you don't know what you like or dislike, so wear them. Down the road, if you feel inclined to develop your own sense of style, then do so and buy the appropriate items that are reflective of it at that time.

julius12

Reaction score
Yeah, just wear the sh*t out of them until they fall apart. Wear them as often as you can to speed up their death. That way your wife will think you love the shoes so much. Then you can buy a new pair.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
There is nothing wrong with a chisel-toe.
That's right, if it's done as it's traditionally done. It's an longstanding style and is definitely not a hybrid of the square-toed and pointy-toed shoe as the other poster was implying.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
That's right, if it's done as it's traditionally done. It's an longstanding style and is definitely not a hybrid of the square-toed and pointy-toed shoe as the other poster was implying.

Nope. Definitely ugly.
dsc_0459-199x300.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads