• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square bottomed knit ties

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys this that these "sock ties", as Manton has called them, are too old fogeyish or too wierd? I think they can be interesting in a casual ensemble. As Emeril would say, "kick it up a notch."

Or has it gone the way of the dodo and bowtie?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very stylish with casual sports jacket...not so stylish with a suit.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The knit tie is a hardy perennial. Also travels well (crushproof).

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Very stylish with casual sports jacket...not so stylish with a suit.
Ian Fleming would disagree.
wink.gif
So would I.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
I wear them all of the time, and have somewhat of a large collection. I prefer mine to be wool, or a wool/mohair blend.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whenever I don't wear a bowtie, these are the ties I prefer. They have a sort of insouciant elan about them.

The horizontally striped ones are the best.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i have been thinking about getting a couple 1 in navy and 1 in burgandy i think they look pretty smart!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only one I like with a suit really is the solid black. The formality of the color is offset by the playfulness of the weave. Although I think that knit ties can go with suits very nicely, I think they are more informal than formal. I think some people might even be insulted if you wear one for an occasion that demands sincerity, as if youre saying Im so carefree I dont care about this meeting.

The grenadine tie, as mentioned before, gives you that texture without the "bounce" of a full blooded knit and no one can question that tie's sincerity for a serious meeting.

the knit tie has definitely not gone the way of the DoDo. I didnt realize the bowtie had. I mean if Tucker Carlson stopped wearing them, that's bad. I guess it's time for me to start wearing them. Although the bowtie looks best on very rugged or gruff men because it softens them up. On most others, it can seem precious. So, if you are Mike Tyson, maybe it works. It's too bad really, everyone should be able to wear a bowtie a couple times a month for variety. But then choices keep getting abridged and it looks like the printed tie is also going the way of the DoDo.

seanchai

Reaction score
I wear them to work sometimes, when I feel the need to cope with the absurdity of Banana Republic by shoving absurdity down BR's throat. I have three and I think they look great.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear them all the time. With suits, sportjackets and sweaters.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitley plus 1 as well. I have seen some really cool ones from Malo which I should have bought. I believe they were reversible and made from cashmere.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
On the fence myself. Not a huge fan, not a huge detractor. In my opinion, they work best with odd jackets and BD collars. I see a fair number of British inspired Italians who like to wear them (in solid colors) with unbuttoned BD collars, tweed jackets, and gray flannels. For the full Agnelli, wear your watch over your shirt cuff.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knits are great sportcoat ties but I find them a little too informal to wear with a suit. For tweed suits I prefer a woven wool tie over a knit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics