1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Square bottomed knit ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by poorsod, Aug 30, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

IMO, you are missing the entire objective of dressing. The goal is to express your own personality and style while still being within the bounds of normalcy. Perfect is never the goal. It is generally the result of trying too hard, and people can tell. Nothing is sorse to me than looking slick.
    "Slick" outfits usually indicate a rather unimaginative wearer.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I understand what you`re saying...but I am just trying to point out my opinion that, in general, I do not think square bottom knit ties fit very well with suits...they match much better with more casual sports jackets.

To me, the picture from Mens Ex does not show it works well with a suit as Tomasso was trying to show me...but actually it looks (to me) that the summer-like/casual feel of the knit tie clashes with the winter/formal (cashmere? or blend?) material of the suit.

One thing we can probably agree upon is that Rubinacci makes the most spectacular knit ties...as shown in the Mens Ex photo too.

[​IMG]

Still not exactly the Best Dresser though (although it has nothing to with knit ties)

Contradiction is the essence of personal style.

Otherwise, like the picture shown below he is simply wearing a conventional tie with a long end, which lacks the subtle elegance of the knit tie.

3. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

Knitted flat bottom ties are great. This pic .
    As dragon has allready said, bravo - excellent example on how to wear a knitted tie - extremely lovely jacket and look!

4. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

I have a few of them, love 'em [​IMG]. Although I must admit I don't wear suits often. However a black knitted tie with a fitted white shirt and jeans, with Chelsea boots always gets great reaction from the ladies on nights out and about.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

Exactly...I like the knit tie (Rubinacci?) but it does not compliment the suit at all. Just my opinion, but I think it looks out of place with that suit material, and a regular tie would look much, much better.

Replace the dark suit with a light colored sports jacket (keeping the shirt tie) and it would look absolutely perfect.

P.S. He is not a best dresser in my opinion either.

I'm not a fan of knitted ties (I own exactly zero), but this is probably the only way to wear one with a suit--the soft-finished flannel is nicely complemented by the knitted tie. I contend that the man is well dressed because he understands both color and subtleties of texture.

6. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Welcome.

I agree that they in general go better with sports jackets or tweed, but the right one goes fine with the right suit.

These ties are worn in uniform by British Army officers, and look superb in Service Dress.

7. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

Perhaps someone should purchase a knee-length sock and attempt to use it as a tie :)

8. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

What's the consensus on wool ties, I wonder?

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Wool is nice for winter but can look ordinary. Mohair is friendlier. Cashmere in a knit tie is sometimes too soft to last.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I much prefer silk to any other material for knits.