• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square bottomed knit ties

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes105.jpg

......53.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore them, when I was younger. Seems like now, I never do. btw: the pointed example, first to the left, is absolutely stunning. THOSE, are colors that I love . . . they remind me of the lovely palettes used in sweaters, out of PERUVIAN CONNECTION. Muted, but with purpose. Exquisite.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomasso, I like your knits. Where did you get them? The ones I can find with pointy ends are much more densely knitted. The loosely knitted ones all have square bottoms. Also I like the fact that they are patterned knits.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Whenever I don't wear a bowtie, these are the ties I prefer. They have a sort of insouciant elan about them.

The horizontally striped ones are the best.

I agree, I have several of the horizontal stripes and wear them often.

Nonk

Reaction score
I have a few and I am very fond of them.

Very stylish and practical, and every gentleman should at least have a black one.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Where did you get them? The ones I can find with pointy ends are much more densely knitted.

They're from Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, Paul Stuart and Brooks Brothers. They've been hard to find the last few seasons but someone mentioned that Jay Kos and Peter Elliot in NYC carried them recently.

Jay Kos has a few for sale on Ebay http://search.ebay.com/jay-kos-knit-tie_W0QQfromZR40

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any square bottomed knits (a few pointed), but I have always regarded them as a menswear classic.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I don't own any square bottomed knits (a few pointed), but I have always regarded them as a menswear classic.

Jan, a man of your fondness for ties with no square-bottomed knits? I'm shocked! Seems like something you should rectify right away. A good excuse to visit Off-Fifth.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only have one square-end knit and wore it yesterday for the first time despite owning it for about a year (it's in the "what are you wearing" thread in my 29th Aug entry).

My verdict - not entirely convinced, but might repeat the experiment.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Jan, a man of your fondness for ties with no square-bottomed knits? I'm shocked! Seems like something you should rectify right away. A good excuse to visit Off-Fifth.

Actually, I don't think I can recall ever seeing any square-bottom knits at the Off-Fifth, which may go a long way to explaining why I don't own any! Damn you for planting temptation in my mind. I don't want to go there. I almost invariably walk out $50 or $60 poorer with another tie I don't need. Come to think it over...how many ties does a man actually need? Conversely, can a man have too many ties? Unlike shoes, unless you get into positively enormous numbers, storage really isn't a problem.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year, Carl Goldberg (CEGO shirts) was offering a free square-bottom knit tie in burgundy/marroon to forum members who paid for shipping ($3-$4). I received one and they are quite nice. I seem to prefer knit ties with standard bottoms and I also have many wool and cashmere blend ties that serve the same purpose so I think I only wore it once.

Claudio

Reaction score
I currently own one and love it. This is a cotton one and is suitable with seersucker jacket (for example) whilst wool one would look good with tweed or heavy wool. However, I prefer classic (pointed) silk to flat weave.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The character in my avatar is supposedly wearing a black wool tie (as his belt and tie don't seem to change throughout the whole movie) and it seems to look pretty good with tweed. I can sort of see why knitted silk may not work as well.

Thanks for the links, Nonk. I've been looking around and comparing a few knit ties lately.

On the subject of square bottoms, they should always be on knits if you ask me. It helps make them even more distinct from normal ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads