• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Square bottomed knit ties

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys this that these "sock ties", as Manton has called them, are too old fogeyish or too wierd? I think they can be interesting in a casual ensemble. As Emeril would say, "kick it up a notch."

Or has it gone the way of the dodo and bowtie?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very stylish with casual sports jacket...not so stylish with a suit.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The knit tie is a hardy perennial. Also travels well (crushproof).

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Very stylish with casual sports jacket...not so stylish with a suit.
Ian Fleming would disagree.
So would I.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
I wear them all of the time, and have somewhat of a large collection. I prefer mine to be wool, or a wool/mohair blend.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whenever I don't wear a bowtie, these are the ties I prefer. They have a sort of insouciant elan about them.

The horizontally striped ones are the best.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i have been thinking about getting a couple 1 in navy and 1 in burgandy i think they look pretty smart!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only one I like with a suit really is the solid black. The formality of the color is offset by the playfulness of the weave. Although I think that knit ties can go with suits very nicely, I think they are more informal than formal. I think some people might even be insulted if you wear one for an occasion that demands sincerity, as if youre saying Im so carefree I dont care about this meeting.

The grenadine tie, as mentioned before, gives you that texture without the "bounce" of a full blooded knit and no one can question that tie's sincerity for a serious meeting.

the knit tie has definitely not gone the way of the DoDo. I didnt realize the bowtie had. I mean if Tucker Carlson stopped wearing them, that's bad. I guess it's time for me to start wearing them. Although the bowtie looks best on very rugged or gruff men because it softens them up. On most others, it can seem precious. So, if you are Mike Tyson, maybe it works. It's too bad really, everyone should be able to wear a bowtie a couple times a month for variety. But then choices keep getting abridged and it looks like the printed tie is also going the way of the DoDo.

seanchai

Reaction score
I wear them to work sometimes, when I feel the need to cope with the absurdity of Banana Republic by shoving absurdity down BR's throat. I have three and I think they look great.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear them all the time. With suits, sportjackets and sweaters.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitley plus 1 as well. I have seen some really cool ones from Malo which I should have bought. I believe they were reversible and made from cashmere.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the fence myself. Not a huge fan, not a huge detractor. In my opinion, they work best with odd jackets and BD collars. I see a fair number of British inspired Italians who like to wear them (in solid colors) with unbuttoned BD collars, tweed jackets, and gray flannels. For the full Agnelli, wear your watch over your shirt cuff.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knits are great sportcoat ties but I find them a little too informal to wear with a suit. For tweed suits I prefer a woven wool tie over a knit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40