• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sprint phone recommendations

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crap... My Palm Pre is dying. I love the device, but the phone part isn't working. It's fucked.

Anyway, it seems like the only option is the EVO. The EVO Shift has a slower processor, so I'm not inclined to get it. But I love having a keyboard. Sheesh. What should I do?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The processor isn't that big of a deal. Its only 200mhz and its actually a slightly newer version. The only downgrade to the Shift is the lack of the front facing camera. Honestly, as ****** as they are, I'd say go with the Samsung Epic. The keyboard is a beast and the camera is one of the best on the block. If you hate Samsung (like I do) then the Shift is the only other keyboard game in town.

They did just make an announcement for 2/7. Nobody knows what the **** its going to be yet though.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Epic. I tried it out at the Sprint store last month and liked it a lot... Is it running the same version of Android as the Evo? The Evo has a much nicer skinning of Android. Will that really make a difference?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Epic. I tried it out at the Sprint store last month and liked it a lot... Is it running the same version of Android as the Evo? The Evo has a much nicer skinning of Android. Will that really make a difference?
No, its still running 2.1 because Samsung can't get their **** together. See the Android thread for DCG's frustration with that one. The EVO's running 2.2 at this point but its getting a bit long in the tooth IMO. The newer versions (they're up to 2.3 at the moment) make a HUGE difference but it doesn't change the phone one bit. Only how smooth the OS runs. Now is a ****** time to be on Sprint (as opposed to the rest of the time which is ****** as well).

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm just going to get the Epic. I really like having a keyboard.

I read that you can load 2.2 on the Epic. I'm good with these kind of things, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I agree about not being the best time to be on Sprint... but the past year and a half I've been on Sprint have been just fine, service and support wise.

As an aside, WebOS has the best multitasking out of any other OS. I'm going to really miss that. I'm also going to really miss using my Touchstone. I have four of them and they freaking rock.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
HP/Palm is holding an event in early February as well. Hell, it might actually be the same as the Sprint event. If you love WebOS then I'd definitely hold out a few more weeks. They are absolutely coming out with new phones next month and possibly a tablet too. Don't know when they'll actually be released though.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could wait... I really want to. My phone just doesn't work so I need a new device. I could just buy a cheap-ass phone, but I don't think I could do without email/internet on my phone for a month or two.

At least Sprint allows you to upgrade the phone every year.

greasypeanut

Reaction score
i know how nice a physical keyboard is, i used to use nothing but blackberrys. but after a month of using my evo, im perfectly happy with the virtual keyboard. i type fast and accurate without having to look, despite the fact that i use a "keyboard" that doesnt spell check or auto correct.

i also have two friends who have gone from the palm pre to the samsung epic. one of them switched to the evo because the only feature the epic had over the evo was the keyboard, and it turned out that he never used it. and for the other friend, he just uses swype (an awesome virtual keyboard).

the problem i think with the epics keyboard, is that its too big. with my old bb and my friends palm, u could if u wanted to type with one hand. most of the time ur probably going to use it one handed, and that progression to using two hands every single time u want to type is annoying.

i say give the virtual keyboard a try.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Big +1 on the above. Try out swype before you decide you need a physical keyboard. I've probably used my keyboard <10 times since I bought my Epic (Oct. 1).

Physical keyboard isn't the only difference between the Epic and the Evo, but it's the biggest one.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the sprint store. Told them my problem and they tried to fix it. Long story short, they're giving me a new pre. I only have to pay $37.80. I should have it by Monday. I really wish I could have a phone earlier, but I'll deal with this. I would love to stay in the WebOS world.

Thanks for all the input.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Went to the sprint store. Told them my problem and they tried to fix it. Long story short, they're giving me a new pre. I only have to pay $37.80. I should have it by Monday. I really wish I could have a phone earlier, but I'll deal with this. I would love to stay in the WebOS world. Thanks for all the input.
That's a great deal so long as they didn't extend your contract. Puts you in perfect position to update when the new WebOS phones come out.

olstudios

Reaction score
^+1
Did they mention anything about extending the contract? That's a hell of a deal if they didn't, I always liked WebOS

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
That's a great deal so long as they didn't extend your contract. Puts you in perfect position to update when the new WebOS phones come out.
Originally Posted by olstudios
^+1 Did they mention anything about extending the contract? That's a hell of a deal if they didn't, I always liked WebOS
Yeah I asked about the contract... and they said that it won't extend it. I'm liking Sprint. Funny thing is that I bought this phone on ebay and they still are replacing it. I never had insurance and the phone is out of contract.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah I asked about the contract... and they said that it won't extend it. I'm liking Sprint. Funny thing is that I bought this phone on ebay and they still are replacing it. I never had insurance and the phone is out of contract.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

How'd you swing that?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How'd you swing that?
I read elsewhere that someone was able to get a replacement for 35 bucks, so I decided to go to the store and see what I could do. The technician really knew what he was doing and tried hard to fix the phone. It just wouldn't work reliably and the technician did try to get me to get a new phone, but I told him I really wanted a WebOS phone and that I had 4 Touchstones (which is true). They didn't have in stock, so I asked could he order one? He was ever so slightly reluctant, and said he wouldn't be able to get one until Monday. I said Monday is fine. So he ordered one. Came back and said it would be 35 bucks. I said, that's fine. Paid for it and that's it. So, it's really nothing special. Back in like February when I lost my phone, I bought another on ebay. I told Sprint I lost the phone and activated my new phone at the store. At the store, it says their policy is to charge 35 bucks to repair or replace any phone. If you have insurance, you don't have to pay anything. If your phone is broken due to dropping it or getting it wet, you can't get a new one, unless you have insurance. Since my phone died without either of these, they replaced it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads