1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Spring

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by southerncollegeboy, Jan 28, 2004.

1. southerncollegeboy

southerncollegeboy Active Member

Hey all, I haven't posted in months, but I visit the sight nearly every day...

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what everyone thinks will be the big styles this spring. I was particularly enamored with DSquared's idea of "1964," but there weren't any items I've seen that I really wanted to buy. Mostly I'm a mall or thrift store shopper.

Thoughts on styles, items, dull colors or bright, etc?

2. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior member

I don't really follow what's in style, but I have seen all the runway shows and nothing stood out too much for me. I think my favourites were Dsquared and Helmut Lang's collections (sans nipple bearing tanks). Although I've still yet to see what Jil Sande and Jean Paul Gaultier have to offer. Tom Ford is doing an urban cowboy thing. I can see that in style for some. I wasn't particularly fond of it. And I think Dolce&Gabbana's David Beckham inspired collection is a bit weak. I can't put my finger on what the big styles are going to be this year, because evert designer was doing something different. Tom Ford went cowboy, Roberto Cavalli went safari, Helmut Lang did a modern punky thing.

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

I'm not one to follow the designers, but spring always means bright colors for me. Here in winter, everyone's wearing the grey and black. Spring means I get to take my pink shirts out of the closet. I'm also looking to get some in lime green, with ties to match.

Of course, my suit will be the same, staid shade of navy or charcoal. I'm not into looking like Rodney Dangerfield.

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm no expert, but I think the next big thing might be 80's revival. HL did the 'punk' look, which is very 80's-esque. Shopping with my girlfriend, I've also seen evidence of this in the ladies departments. Bold (read: gaudy) plastic fashion jewelry, solid-colored hot pink and teal shirts/pants/skirts, even the studded metal punk belts have been around for a while now. I just hope my prediction is wrong - I hate the clothing from the 80's and very early 90's.

5. Isak Bengtsbo

Isak Bengtsbo Well-Known Member

The 80's has been around for a while now so I sincerely hope that we move on and finally forget all about this awful period.

6. High_Roller

Hey. I like that look. Not to the degree that some people like to take it, though. But a couple pieces like that can look really sharp if you do the right things with them.

7. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

From a color perspective I'm looking to pick up a couple shirts with green in them. Have my eye on a nice Turnbull&Asser green and pink checked shirt which could be perfect.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like Nike Dunks, and to a lesser extent, Air Force Ones. I also think that parachute pants (the real ones) have always been cool, although I don't do that myself. And there are certain things so ugly as to be interesting, although I wouldn't be nearly cool enough to pull off an acid wash jean jacket ((although I did have one back in the eighties).

On the other hand, I hate all things preppy - a look very, very popular in the early/mid eightes.

9. Isak Bengtsbo

Isak Bengtsbo Well-Known Member

Accordingly to some people over at the GQ forum I dress "preppy". Don't know why. I usually wear jeans or slacks, a dress shirt, loafers or boots (never sneakers.) and if the weather requires a v-neck. Does this sounds "preppy" to you?

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not particularly, but a lot depends on the colors and cut. A lot of people confuse the meaning of "preppy". Think the cool kids in "Revenge of the Nerds", and every other eighties movie - polo shirts, khakis, pastels and loafers and brands like A&F and Polo. Curiously, makes me see red.

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

This was all the rage in London this past Spring/Summer. It was picked up in NYC just barely... who knows if it will continue this upcoming season. I actually like this look... The 80's ROCK.... Oh, and I absolutely love new wave.

12. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Dosn't he always do the urban cowboy thing... I was wearing bootcut jeans and pink cowboy shirts 2 years ago, it's NOTHING new. Reguardless, it's still a cool look when not taken to the extreme.

Agreed.. it's lame. They base their line on their biggest customer

Did anyone see the Prada line? It's like 50's dork style... totally lame. They got cardigans and all this brown colored stuff.

Still the best designers out there are Dior Homme and DSquared. There seems to be little innovation out there except for these two lines. Everything else tends to be rehash from yesteryear

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm no expert, but I think the next big thing might be 80's revival ... Shopping with my girlfriend, I've also seen evidence of this in the ladies departments. Â Bold (read: gaudy) plastic fashion jewelry, solid-colored hot pink and teal shirts/pants/skirts ...
    This was all the rage in London this past Spring/Summer. It was picked up in NYC just barely... who knows if it will continue this upcoming season. I actually like this look... The 80's ROCK.... Oh, and I absolutely love new wave.
    Don't get me wrong - some of the 80's stuff is great (the rockstar look), there are just a lot of things that shouldn't be brought back (jeans that taper inward at the bottom, huge button-up shirt pockets).

14. High_Roller

Prada's collection reminds me of something Pringle would do.

15. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Man, haha, at first I thought you were celebrating 80s rock music, and I was about to scream in agreement.  I'm such a classic rock junkie: Scorpion, Boston, Duran Duran, Men at Work (for the 80s) -- and I like Genesis waaaay too much for a college student.  But the 80s wasn't all good stuff (just think back to hairstyles and the already mentioned tapered jeans).

Well, anyway (sorry I got off-topic), if the 80s do come back, let's hope it's in moderation.  Fashion can go too far to the extreme.  Personally, I'm planning on (tastefully) colored shirts and khaki suits for the spring.

16. VMan

VMan Senior member

The 80's ROCK.... Oh, and I absolutely love new wave.
    Man, haha, at first I thought you were celebrating 80s rock music, and I was about to scream in agreement. Â I'm such a classic rock junkie: Scorpion, Boston, Duran Duran, Men at Work (for the 80s) -- and I like Genesis waaaay too much for a college student. Â But the 80s wasn't all good stuff (just think back to hairstyles and the already mentioned tapered jeans). Â Â Well, anyway (sorry I got off-topic), if the 80s do come back, let's hope it's in moderation. Â Fashion can go too far to the extreme. Â Personally, I'm planning on (tastefully) colored shirts and khaki suits for the spring.
    You can't beat 80's music when it comes to sappy soft-rock songs... Spandau Ballet, Toto, Men at Work, Men Without Hats, Flock of Seagulls, Wang Chung, REO, Journey, Mr. Mister...the list goes on.

17. hermes

hermes Senior member

don't forget everyone's favourite one hit wonder, kajagoogoo

18. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

You're too shy shy. Hush Hush. Eye to eye. haha And to make my reply have something to do with the original post, I'm really looking forward to wearing brightly colored striped Oxfords. haha, I need more reasons to wear suits and ties (besides of course when I have the whim to do it).

19. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I'm just hoping that the Miami Vice look doesn't come back [​IMG] Also - for those of you who are 80's music fans, check out the VH1 show, Bands Reunited. In the two I've seen, the brought together the members of A Flock of Seagulls and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. It's pretty funny. Bradford