• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

spring jacket flap

colin

Reaction score
hello, im new by the way but have been lurking and reading curiously of suits i probably will never by. Anyway, i bought this burberry spring jacket at a thrift shop for cheap brand new condition (the ubiquitous trademark pattern is nicely absent). Its quite a simple jacket but there's this one circular flap that comes off the shoulder and covers the chest buttoning down where the nipple is.Is this functional, or just a design? I wouldn't normally bother to ask but its so noticable and somewhat akward.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome.

Are you talking about a trench coat, with the flaps that come down from the shoulder? I think it is an additional layer against rain and (shoulder strap) abrasion, since the coat is of military origin.

If it's a different kind of coat, I guess I'm not getting what you mean. Pic?

colin

Reaction score
nah mate, it does have those shoulder things but this flap literally buttons onto the chest so theres like a semi-circular patch over the chest. I couldn't find a picture of it, i'll just attest it to a whacky design i guess. maybe i can hang me keys off it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
OK - it would help to see a picture, but my thought is that this is a style common to some companies that have a background in producing hunting or shooting jackets - and Burberry would certainly fit into that group.
Even if it's not functional, it may just be a styling device used to harken back to the days when Burberry was a company that was known for designing functional clothing, not just fashionable stuff. Bradford

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.